DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Fuck, I knew someone was going to point out that I chose an imperfect vessel for my little rant. But I wanted to pick someone recognizable enough and with enough supposed "credibility" for the analogy to land. Please replace him in your mind's eye with a critic you'd take more seriously. 

Well, since you did ask...

2olzhzbpQwssminqTbtdlRgdJpH.jpg&sp=f188b

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have plenty of gripes with Alvarez (part it does come from calling people dorks and whatnot), but if you work for WWE, the last thing you should be is thin skinned. Once you're on television watched by (slowly dwindling) millions, you're in the shit now honey. At least the Figure Four Weekly guys are somewhat popular among the online wrestling contingent. There are less popular people who do the same thing on every social media platform you can think of. What I don't like is you either forward this shit to someone to get a response or someone searched their name into Twitter to see it. I imagine even a low level celeb should know everything on the internet isn't going to be rosy. It would be different if someone was actively bullying you and directly did it. You're in fucking WWE...of course, people are going to take the piss out of you. Moreover, it's not going to stop anytime soon. This isn't going to deter anyone. Hell, the whole reason they did the video component is people love watching them mock stuff. This will continue.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I have plenty of gripes with Alvarez (part it does comes from calling people dorks and whatnot), but if you work for WWE, the last thing you should be is thin skinned. 

They're just following the example set by locker room leader Seth Rollins. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6

I imagine this has already been brought up but Daniel Bryan telling WWE he's not going to resign and then getting magically cleared and then Edge using AEW as leverage to get resigned and magically cleared makes me think that the WWE medical ineligibility list may not be entirely on the up and up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

What I'd like to see, and I know I'm way in the wrong on on this take, but it would be funny to see a MST3K version of grapplers clapping back at the folks putting the wrestlers through the wringer. So as an example, instead of wrestlers jumping on social media with the "if you never stepped foot in the ring who are you to judge my work/look/physique/etc" reponse, why not just gather a couple of other wrestlers/talent and sit there making a video clapping back at the critics. 

"Oh so this guy wants to comment on my (promo/physique/match) well look at their (clothes/hair/background setting where they're filming/etc)" and then the wrestlers/talent all jump in and laugh at the critic(s) and then post that reply instead. They all jump in and go after whoever rounded up their friends to have a laugh at them. Because if we're being honest, the majority of the fans filming their reactions and posting their clips criticizing wrestlers looks/physique/talent have no dog in the fight. I mean, if they did, wouldn't they be on TV putting butts in seats (completely rhetorical) and not commenting from the peanut gallery.

I know this won't happen because the critics being mocked would probably try to sue for damages for being bullied by celebs or being mocked and humiliated, that kind of thing, but I think it would be funny (which is how I know that's the wrong take hahaha)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peck said:

This may very well make me a terrible person(and it's a risk I'm obviously willing to take) but thinking about Vince McMahon doing his power strut up to a podium at a funeral makes me laugh uncontrollably.

You know he did it because he has a victory over God. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I have qualms with the "nobody should take wrestling journalism seriously" part, but I can't quite formulate into words why I disagree with that part. Everything else lands, mainly due to me never caring about the critical side of wrestling (or music, or movies, etc etc).

I get it.  If people are going to go around calling themselves journalists, they should probably behave like journalists.  If it is going to be done, it is well within everyone's rights to criticize wrestling journalism if it is done poorly, incorrectly, dishonestly, or unprofessionally.

1 minute ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Time for a blood sacrifice.

You should enjoy this:

Yeah, I saw that before. I also thought of it being time for a blood sacrifice.

SPOILERS IF YOU DON'T WANT ONE OF THE BEST TV SEASON FINALES EVER SPOILED.

Spoiler