DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

6 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

All these probes and inquiries aside, surely some lawyer would be able to make a potentially huge and easy case out of litigating their absurd definition of an independent contractor, right? 

I mean, they'd need clients to wanna die WWE but it's gotta be an extremely valid case. 

Everyone knows about it, they just carry on regardless, so to me it's always felt like this rather precarious practice that would just need one little nudge, ala the Weinstein scandal, for the whole thing to blow up in WWE's faces.

• Like 1

The business side of sports stuff is so prevalent because there are so many mediums devoted to the sports talk format and people need to talk about something. It's one of the same reasons our politics are such mess. There's such a need for a content and the same points just get regurgitated over and over again.

The result of this is mainstream stories tend to get overreported and everything else gets underreported.

Because of this constant reporting of player's salaries and collective bargaining agreements, it gives rise to the perception that the worker's rights of people making large salaries are of concern to the average person. They're not the most sympathetic figures. In most industries, workers barely have any rights and are paid like crap. People encounter far far far worse abuses in everyday life than what WWE pulls, even if we all know it's a bunch of b.s. Yes, it's ridiculous that WWE doesn't provide health insurance, but at least wrestlers are  compensated halfway decent and can afford their own health insurance. 

This is the reason nobody has taken on the machine in court. What's the end game of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in attorney fees? To be at odds with the company who is paying you many more times than what you would make anywhere else? At the end of the day, it's a business. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Fuck that. His gimmick is a combination of New Generation real life occupation nonsense mixed with Bret Hart heel/face dynamic. He's a man working hard for his family on the oil fields, hated in liberal territories and adored in conservative areas. NOTHING COULD POSSIBLYE GO WRONG.

I kind of love this, and I think it would work really well in a place like HOODSLAM. There wouldn't be any heel / face nuance there, though. That gimmick is straight heel all the way in Oakland. They'd have to work out a deal to loan him out to some indy in North Dakota so he could have the Bret 1997 deal happening.

Then the added layer of Benoit Junior. Fuck, I LOVE it! I would pay a million dollars to watch a crowd get uncomfortable when his name was announced.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

The business side of sports stuff is so prevalent because there are so many mediums devoted to the sports talk format and people need to talk about something. It's one of the same reasons our politics are such mess. There's such a need for a content and the same points just get regurgitated over and over again.

The result of this is mainstream stories tend to get overreported and everything else gets underreported.

Because of this constant reporting of player's salaries and collective bargaining agreements, it gives rise to the perception that the worker's rights of people making large salaries are of concern to the average person. They're not the most sympathetic figures. In most industries, workers barely have any rights and are paid like crap. People encounter far far far worse abuses in everyday life than what WWE pulls, even if we all know it's a bunch of b.s. Yes, it's ridiculous that WWE doesn't provide health insurance, but at least wrestlers are  compensated halfway decent and can afford their own health insurance. 

This is the reason nobody has taken on the machine in court. What's the end game of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in attorney fees? To be at odds with the company who is paying you many more times than what you would make anywhere else? At the end of the day, it's a business. 

Right. But because there are many other situations of employees/workers being abused doesn't make WWE any less shitty though. I wanted to say in my original post that "like most employers" or something along those lines but am wary of wading too deeply into politics on the board. Wwe is hardly the worst offender but the spotlight has been shone on the farce they get away with so many times that something should've been done and that it's such a high profile entity also adds to that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

I kind of love this, and I think it would work really well in a place like HOODSLAM. There wouldn't be any heel / face nuance there, though. That gimmick is straight heel all the way in Oakland. They'd have to work out a deal to loan him out to some indy in North Dakota so he could have the Bret 1997 deal happening.

Then the added layer of Benoit Junior. Fuck, I LOVE it! I would pay a million dollars to watch a crowd get uncomfortable when his name was announced.

Look, I'm not going to lie, if WWE signed him, and put him on Raw with a Norman Bates gimmick, I'd probably start watching again.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Look, I'm not going to lie, if WWE signed him, and put him on Raw with a Norman Bates gimmick, I'd probably start watching again.

And how could you not?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AxB said:

I'm thinking David Benoit isn't going to WWE as Chris Benoit Jr. Being as both the phrase "Chris Benoit" and the phrase "Junior" are banned from the company.

We can ban your name, but all your wrestling matches are still going to be intact in our library and on our network because we want to profit off of you.

Also, John Gotti III is a rising MMA prospect right now and even been on TV and UFC Fight Pass a few times already. Nobody is running to have him change his name to John Hannibal Smith or some shit and his grandfather and father are John Gotti and Junior Gotti respectively. If you wanna have your ring name be Chris Benoit Jr., go right ahead.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

I just saw Scott Steiner’s NWA Power debut and it was fun. And the commercial break music they used was Into the Fire by Dokken.

That's the show's theme song which got me to buy it after a couple weeks. And the show rules, would highly recommend checking it out. 

• Like 4

On 1/14/2020 at 7:57 PM, christopher.annino said:

All these probes and inquiries aside, surely some lawyer would be able to make a potentially huge and easy case out of litigating their absurd definition of an independent contractor, right? 

I mean, they'd need clients to wanna die WWE but it's gotta be an extremely valid case. 

One of the main problems is that no one within the statute of limitations has ever challenged the WWE on this. Had Punk tried when he left, Vince would have probably been a little nervous.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I just saw Scott Steiner’s NWA Power debut and it was fun. And the commercial break music they used was Into the Fire by Dokken.

There's a discussion thread for it in the FEDS JUST TRYING TO MAKE A BUCK folder. Although some dumbass keeps posting these looong show reports that overanalyze everything. Feel free to skip that junk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/13/2020 at 10:28 PM, Ziggy said:

I like what I've seen of Starrs work but he's the Wrestler version of Dave Bix. He's to headstrong with the Politics and the Social justice that its gonna hurt him. I agree with some of his view points but dont force you views on people. Keep it separate from the business 

Political gimmicks are around- there's the Progressive LIberal, and QT Marshall ripped off that gimmick at one point and was doing a Trumper version.

Sunny got her start as a HIllary expy.

Edited by alstein

12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

We can ban your name, but all your wrestling matches are still going to be intact in our library and on our network because we want to profit off of you.

What a crock of shit.

Re-edit the shit out of 12 years of wrestling shows or you're a profiteer, despite going very far out of your way not to promote anything about Benoit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

What a crock of shit.

Re-edit the shit out of 12 years of wrestling shows or you're a profiteer, despite going very far out of your way not to promote anything about Benoit.

agreed, 

If they were going to do that they might as well edit the logos and music on older shows so that they could air all the Prime Time/Superstars/Challenges etc.  That would be far more profitable to WWE than anything Benoit related at this point. 

• Like 1

To be fair, I'm not sure they could exactly erase Benoit from their history, because Wrestlemania 20 suddenly has no main event, Eddy comes out to a ticket rape celebration alone after a match he had nothing to do with, and HHH's Raw title vanishes into thin air for a few months until suddenly Orton is the youngest champion in history, having magically acquired the belt from out of nowhere. It doesn't make sense. But having him on there does open them up to criticism.

If you want to accuse them of profiteering from tragedy, the way they've treated Eddy's legacy is probably the more egregious. Right after Eddy died, Vince was asked if the WWE would be financially supporting his family, and his answer was: "Eddy's merchandise will be on sale forever. And all of the profits will go straight to his family". Which, it is known that the standard WWE merch contract is that 5% of every dollar goes to the actual talent, yeah? The 'Stone Cold' deal is for 20%, but only three or four people in history ever got that deal. The company made a shitload more money off those Eddy tribute shirts than Eddy's kids and widow did.

Obviously Vickie going on to be the best heel manager of her generation was probably worth a few bob, and his daughters are all grown women now, but it's still dodgy what they did. Then again, Melanie Pillman.

6 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

What a crock of shit.

Dumbass, they already go back and  re edit shows for little and legal reasons. All the shows from the past on the network aren't in original form. If you go out of your way to replace copyrighted  licensed music, remove commercial,  edit out certain segments out of every shows, etc., Chris Benoit can be gone from the network.

Poor DDP is on 500 WCW shows from the early 90s till their demise and Self High Five is not on one show on the network. If you're going to that level of trouble to not piss off the folks who own the publishing rights to Smells Like Teen Spirit, erasing a murderer would be slightly more important.?

Moreover, how do you think @RIPPA got to the point of titling the threads for the Saudi shows "Blood Money"? It's no secret Vince (god knows Meltzer brings up everytime on WOR to explain why they do those shows) believes he should be able to make the maximum amount of money off of any and everything no matter what. That's the definition of a profiteer. So taking into account that WWE consciously tried to already erase Benoit from June 2007 on, then begin editing the shit out of shows when they transitioned to the WWE Network which itself was a top company priority up until now, and they already exploited the deaths of other people for profit and gain, this is also a conscious business decision.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1