DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That belt looks enormous.

Speaking of wrestlers in flip-flops, the obvious one is Matt Riddle, but I gotta believe it's probably next to impossible to actually wrestle in flip flops.

Didn't Paul Orndorf wear flip-Flops while he beat up Vader? 

• Like 2

I feel weird to admit it, but this flip-flop talk makes me remember the great footwear moments in Wrestling. My hands-down favourite is probably Funk getting chokeslammed out of his Tennis shoes. 

(Edit during Hell in a Cell between Taker and Mankind)

Edited by ReiseReise

I am not sure if it was mentioned anywhere but you can blame the 24/7 Title on at least one injury

Ember Moon told the story on how she tore her Achilles tendon, which required surgery. Carmella had won the 24/7 title so Moon was supposed to be one of the people chasing her, with Carmella being carried by R-Truth. She said she told R-Truth to run hard because she was going to and she didn’t want to catch him, but she wanted it to look real. So she was running hard and about to catch him, so put on the breaks to make sure she didn’t, and the Achilles popped

12 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

What a shame.

They ignore the battles that man had in the '80s fighting the forces of COBRA for us.

If it wasn't for Sgt. Slaughter and those brave GI Joes, you'd all be...well, Cobra spoke English too, but you'd probably all be going "I wasssss a maaaaaannnnnn..."

Hahaha, all of our usernames would end in "...LALALALALA!"

Which would then lead to the inevitable fun of (just for example) "Settle down, Hollywood SorceressKnightneticoLALALALALALALA!"

10 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I can't blame Slaughter if he is sticking to character after all these years. I mean that's how he was trained. You got your gimmick and you lived it. I honestly can believe at some point he believed he really was Sgt. Slaughter. Having nightmares about battles with Cobra, training Pvt. Gagne.

Training Rambo Greg would give me nightmares too.

• Haha 1

I don't think this fits for Matches from the Past or Images... so here's the Steiners having their way with Double Trouble from a handheld.

They probably should have put this on TV in 1993 because the Steiners were pretty good at mauling random fat guys in 1990 too (I think they did the Doomsday DDT on Death Row 3260 too)

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I don't think this fits for Matches from the Past or Images... so here's the Steiners having their way with Double Trouble from a handheld.

They probably should have put this on TV in 1993 because the Steiners were pretty good at mauling random fat guys in 1990 too (I think they did the Doomsday DDT on Death Row 3260 too)

this was Val Pucci and I believe Sal Pucci?  They wrestled as the Undertakers in IWCCW.  In order for Vince to use the gimmick Vince let them work select house show dates. 

Edited by paintedbynumbers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

That belly-to belly is an amazing feat of functional strength.  A lot of people can lift a lot, but being able to grab a dude that big and toss him like that is fucking impressive.  

• Like 3

On 1/9/2020 at 3:23 PM, Cobra Commander said:

IIRC, the Snowman Memphis run started with him making comments in the Memphis media accusing the promotion of racism, so they got him aboard for a worked shoot based off of that. Then he won the title and bolted the promotion.

Don't forget that, depending on whose shoot interview you listen to, he either pawned the belt or sold it for crack.

Edited by cwoy2j

If the Undertakers asked for a yearly fee on the name instead of being marks and asking to work matches then they really would've made out.  Or The Undertaker would've gotten a different name.

And hasn't Slaughter been invited to the White House multiple times?  If there was something questionable about his service record then you'd think someone would've caught it then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEN! said:

If the Undertakers asked for a yearly fee on the name instead of being marks and asking to work matches then they really would've made out.  Or The Undertaker would've gotten a different name.And hasn't Slaughter been invited to the White House multiple times?  If there was something questionable about his service record then you'd think someone would've caught it then.

1 hour ago, BEN! said:

If the Undertakers asked for a yearly fee on the name instead of being marks and asking to work matches then they really would've made out.  Or The Undertaker would've gotten a different name.

And hasn't Slaughter been invited to the White House multiple times?  If there was something questionable about his service record then you'd think someone would've caught it then.

Ted Nugent got the invite after shitting his pants to avoid going to Nam. They ain't catching a damn thing. That's all I gotta say because I'm not getting cashed baby

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Jason, of NJPW isn't for Kids fame, made a very funny and inappropriate joke on twitter that took me far too long to get.

Spoiler

Like it's not that clever but it made me laugh really hard.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, BEN! said:

Pretty sure if the Undertakers took the yearly fee, Vince wouldn't have paid a single year.  At least they got a few paydays out of it.

And Undertaker wasn't even going to be his name.  The Superstars that aired after Survivor Series (but was taped before) called him Kane.

• Like 1