DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

7 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

So ummmmmm... Wait till the Thursday quarterly report to buy shares, or buy now? 

I wouldn't touch WWE stock either way at the moment.  2017 was the time to buy when it was under $20.   Even $48 now seems like it might be high. 

I believe the last time they got bad news was after a quarterly report, and that made a dent in the stock. So you ad the bad news that just happened, plus the potential bad news on Thursday, and I think that could possibly create a bigger dent. I’m no expert on this though.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

That's a generally accurate take, stock trading and the algorithim that does most of it likes to panic like crazy at the sign of anything regardless of what it means because we're stupid, so I'd wait until next Thursday. 

Also, I'm starting a new conspiracy rumor that NXT is being shut down and liquidated by Vince, so he can use the funds to make sure the XFL makes it to a second season airing only on WWE Network.

Man it's funny sometimes. NXT is put on TV to run against AEW, which possibly led to this earnings issue. NXT UK formed to run against WOS, which is dead. XFL formed to run against the AAF, which is dead. Its like Vince's only play is 80s style counterprogramming. Which shout out to him, worked for many years, but as noted pages ago the landscape is so different now it's apples and oranges, and now you're stuck with a D-show and a shitty football league for no apparent reason

I think the AAF formed because Charlie Ebersol knew that Vince was bringing the XFL back and wanted to beat him to the punch.

The XFL formed as counter-programming for all the dudes who wear "I stand for the flag and I kneel for the cross" t-shirts in the wake of Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid and such.

Which I guess is to your point anyway, @Zakk_Sabbath, as no one cares about that issue anymore. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I think the AAF formed because Charlie Ebersol knew that Vince was bringing the XFL back and wanted to beat him to the punch.

The XFL formed as counter-programming for all the dudes who wear "I stand for the flag and I kneel for the cross" t-shirts in the wake of Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid and such.

Which I guess is to your point anyway, @Zakk_Sabbath, as no one cares about that issue anymore. 

It's hilarious that they (XFL) have the less downtime thing in all the ads.

Oh boy, that's setting yourself up for failure.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

This is incorrect. Vince wasn't bringing back XFL until Charlie wanted to buy the XFL name from Vince. At that point Vince got back into the game.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This is incorrect. Vince wasn't bringing back XFL until Charlie wanted to buy the XFL name from Vince. At that point Vince got back into the game.

This, I did not hear. The story that I heard was that Ebersol did the 30-for-30 on the XFL, found out that Vince was thinking of bringing it back, and then rounded up capital to start the AAF ahead of Vince's XFL comeback.

I did hear that Ebersol tried to save the AAF when it was failing by asking for a merger/cash infusion from McMahon and the XFL, but I haven't heard anything about Eberson wanting to buy the XFL name and inspiring Vince to bring it back himself. 

I could be wrong, though. *shrugs*. 

Okay - here is the quick summary

• Ebersol and Vince did the XFL 30 for 30
  • Ebersol on his own decided that HE wanted to do a football. (ESPN quoted him saying that it was basically the only thing his Dad ever failed out and he wanted to avenge that)
  • He goes to Vince and asks to buy the XFL rights for $50 million
  • Vince turns them down and realizes "Hey - I can do this again!"
  • Ebersol - in a panic because he realizes Vince is doing the XFL again - rushes the AAF out a year early to beat Vince. This is where the AAF's money problems go all the way back to.
  • Fast forward to the AAF hemorrhaging money. They go to Vince to basically ask him to merge the two leagues to save the AAF. Vince turns them down.

Vince did bid to buy the AAF's assets but I don't know if that actually was successful or not

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I get that the 30 for 30 brought attention back to the name, but is the XFL name worth 5 million let 50 million dollars? Charlie should have waited and bought the Arena Football League rights.

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I get that the 30 for 30 brought attention back to the name, but is the XFL name worth 5 million let 50 million dollars? Charlie should have waited and bought the Arena Football League rights.

If you ask me it shouldn't even be worth 5 cents.  Just a really, really dumb decision to bring this back.

With the news last night leading into XFL I'm torn as to whether we should talk XFL here or save it for the Other Leagues thread in the Sports section.  But I decided that even with the wrestling tie-in I'm not watching one piece of footage.  If it's recapped on one of WWE's shows then sure but I just can't justify adding to any kind of ratings for this.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

If you get past the delusions of grandeur, cantankerousness, pigheadedness, PLAYING THE GIMMICK, and generally rude behaviour, I kind of like Alvarez and fuck you if you disagree.

I got so damn tired of Alvarez's yelling and pointless arguing that I cancelled my subscription.

5 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Well if cancelling both your Observer, and WWE Network sub is cool, then consider me Miles Davis.

Would you like to hear about our French Catch newsletter:

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2020/01/tuesday-is-french-catch-day-inca.html?

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2020/01/tuesday-french-catch-day-di-santo-van.html?m=1

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

Vince was offered $50 million for long dead brand and he turned it down, to instead restart that dead brand and probably lose 5 times that eventually instead? Classic Vince.

Don’t forget opening himself up to a lawsuit for rejecting that $50 million and then selling the dead brand to himself for practically nothing.

• Haha 3