DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

12 hours ago, LP Steve said:

Wait, what? People actually bet on the outcome of professional wrestling matches?

They also bet on how many stars Dave Meltzer will give a match. 

The betting on wins and losses though actually kind of controls the outcome of certain matches now which is all kinds of terrible. 

What really made Asuka look like a scrub was right after tapping out Becky Lynch, losing non-title matches to Mandy Rose and then the title to Charlotte Flair in such an anticlimactic, telegraphed fashion on a random ass episode of Smackdown. Even this so-called rehabilitation of Asuka has only involved the Kabuki Warriors beating Charlotte in handicap matches or getting cheap mist/roll-up victories over Charlotte and Becky. Other heels usually get to at least hit their finisher off a distraction to get cheap wins. Generic sneaky foreigner heel isn't much of a character rehabilitation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Looks like Nikki Bella got her wish.  She and Brie are both pregnant and 2 weeks apart.  Congrats to the Bella's and their boys. 

Congratulations to Bryan/Brie and Artem/Nikki xxx

Edited by The Natural

15 hours ago, LP Steve said:

Wait, what? People actually bet on the outcome of professional wrestling matches?

Marks never die out, it's really like 100+ years ago (before the Gold Dust Trio), where working was done (at least partly) to maximize the profit of the bookies.

Edited by Robert s

20 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Quite the opposite. I've long since made my peace with those reactions and think they're super useful. They create the best atmospheres and the biggest big match feel of anything in WWE. Everyone should aspire to get reactions that visceral and raw. Cena and Roman matches (especially before the cancer) were better off because of just how nuts those guys drive a large segment of the audience. Hopefully as Mania season goes on, Charlotte can get some of that Corbin heat. 

Super useful hostile crowd reactions? How's that working out?

u86jayf1vqw21.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hooker said:

Cool graph, TJ Hooker. Should we discuss anything that might provide context regarding television ratings and viewership over the last couple decades? Or should we just skip to the fact that their B-show is still good for $5 billion? AEW can't crack a million most weeks and they just got renewed for four years. TV ain't what it was. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I get the points of both @Hooker and @West Newbury Bad Boy, but I don't think that TV networks overvaluing live programming in this moment is really a great, complete response either. Aren't Network numbers cratering? Isn't live show attendance very low?

4 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I get the points of both @Hooker and @West Newbury Bad Boy, but I don't think that TV networks overvaluing live programming in this moment is really a great, complete response either. Aren't Network numbers cratering? Isn't live show attendance very low?

Don't know about the Network numbers, but I haven't heard a good thing about house show attendance in ages. And yes, TV networks are definitely overvaluing live content. It can't last forever. 

That said, I don't think crowds being salty about "overpushed" wrestler X have anything to do with it and would still push back on that point. There will always be a storytelling use for people who get that reaction. There's a myriad more valid explanations for the decline illustrated above. Like a product that's pretty much cold from top to bottom. 

My apologies if this has been talked about elsewhere:

If the details that have been reported about Edge's contract are true, then goddamn. And good for him.

Allegedly 3 matches a year, around 25 tv appearances (I couldn't tell from the way it was written if that was per year or total) for 3 years, at $3 million per year.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hooker said:

u86jayf1vqw21.jpg

I'm trying to remember what exactly the WWF was up against during the peak of the attitude era when they were drawing over 6 million viewers. I have to wonder in today's tv world, even with peak Austin and Rock, I don't think they would come even close to those numbers. There's simply too much competition. 

We don't even need to overthink this so much. In 2017 when they signed the new TV deals, part of the reason they got such a great pair of deals was that their ratings had held steady year over year from 2016, when almost everything else on TV had dropped. Almost immediately after inking the contracts, the ratings started falling, and the drop just since mid-17 is pretty damn precipitous.

I think all of this is a little from all of the columns available. The "mixed" reaction has become the hottest thing they've been able to generate year over year based on a lot of things, one being the fact that the product is ice cold. Again, many reasons for that ranging from poor storytelling (their fault) to over saturation (a byproduct of the $).

We've hand wrung about it for years but the bottom line I see is that the WWE doesn't really care about the mixed reaction. It beats the holy hell out of silence. If they cared they would do something about i t.

And I'm feeling we're about to get Knighted here in a minute, lol.

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

My apologies if this has been talked about elsewhere:

If the details that have been reported about Edge's contract are true, then goddamn. And good for him.

Allegedly 3 matches a year, around 25 tv appearances (I couldn't tell from the way it was written if that was per year or total) for 3 years, at $3 million per year.

If that's true, it's an insane amount of money to pay someone that they've always overrated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

ya know... if Darby Allin ever teamed w/ Thunder Rosa - we'd have a full skull face paint.

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Would Rosemary be their overlord? 

Shit, guys.  I didn't know how much I wanted this to happen until now.  I'm sure Rosemary's still with Impact but once her and Thunder's contracts expire I would love to see them both in AEW.

• Like 1

That seems like a lot of money for Edge, and it is, but I am betting it is all coming directly from the Saudi money to get him to work the Saudi shows. They want Attitude Era stars, right? Seems logical.

So if you needed another reason not to watch the Saudi shows, there you go.

• Like 2

Okay - next few posts will be to provide more context to about three different things being discussed. All from the WON that just came out

The other major story was the return of Edge (Adam Copeland, 46), who retired after the 2011 WrestleMania due to neck problems. While there had been strong rumors of his coming back and being cleared for months, he himself denied he was cleared, even when showing photos of him being in better cosmetic shape than when he was younger and active. But that’s what wrestlers nowadays do when it comes to WWE signing and returns.

He wouldn’t have been allowed to do that spear at SummerSlam if he wasn’t cleared. This all dates back to last summer when AEW made Edge a major offer to wrestle a few matches per year. Edge used that offer, which he told WWE was for $3 million per year and he would start when the company got television as his leverage, to get the same deal with WWE. So that was his leverage to get one of the highest deals in WWE history. The reports were out that his deal was for five matches and 25 television shows per year, but we are told that the money figure is correct but the date numbers are not accurate and that there are more matches and dates involved in the deal. The deal is far less than people like Brock Lesnar and Bill Goldberg have gotten, since Goldberg earned $2 million just for doing his match with Undertaker.

Since this is now a second time this has happened, it does bring up unique speculation as to guys who were medically disqualified from ever wrestling in WWE again (Edge and Bryan) both were cleared when it became clear that they were going to wrestle outside WWE. It’s not as cut-and-dried as that, but when it happens twice in a row involving talents that legitimately would garner substantial interest outside WWE, it is notable.

Bold for the specific money discussion

• Thanks 2