DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

9 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I honestly didn't have any interest in either team for Sunday but I guess now I find myself rooting for the 49ers.  Funny how things work though if he's going to give them love then I would give him the VIP treatment when AEW heads to the west coast.

For the pub I'd have him come out and punch MJF in the face if he would do it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I honestly didn't have any interest in either team for Sunday but I guess now I find myself rooting for the 49ers.  Funny how things work though if he's going to give them love then I would give him the VIP treatment when AEW heads to the west coast.

Get him to “Madusa” the WWE belt that they give to athletes that win major titles, and give him a replica of the AEW World belt to hoist in public.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Get him to “Madusa” the WWE belt that they give to athletes that win major titles, and give him a replica of the AEW World belt to hoist in public.

He's smart enough not to bite the hand that can feed him too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Random thought: Charlotte challenges Rhea Ripley for the NXT title.

- Helps put over NXT as a legitimate 3rd brand.
- Rhea got that pin on Charlotte.
- Charlotte can talk about how she has beaten Bayley and Becky multiple times but Ripley is a new talent from a new generation that needs to learn that this is HER division.
- Rhea getting the win puts her over as the next big superstar of the women's division.

Dave said on WOR this is indeed the plan 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Have more interest in that than Charlotte/Becky all over again. I'm thinking Becky/Rhea would be good for two things: Becky can rightly say that's she beaten everyone, accomplished numerous things but the one thing she never did was win the NXT Women's Championship. It's a big omission in that championship's lineage.

If they’re using Charlotte to make Rhea the next big thing at a Wrestlemania, I’m overjoyed and all for it. But I’ll believe it when I see it. Apparently it was also the plan to have Shayna win the Rumble all the way up to the day of but, you know, Plans Change (tm).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

If they’re using Charlotte to make Rhea the next big thing at a Wrestlemania, I’m overjoyed and all for it. But I’ll believe it when I see it. Apparently it was also the plan to have Shayna win the Rumble all the way up to the day of but, you know, Plans Change (tm).

To pick nits - the change wasn't done day of. It is believed to have been done about two weeks prior (since you can see with the betting lines that around Jan 14 folks started betting heavily on Charlotte)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Random thought: Charlotte challenges Rhea Ripley for the NXT title.

- Helps put over NXT as a legitimate 3rd brand.
- Rhea got that pin on Charlotte.
- Charlotte can talk about how she has beaten Bayley and Becky multiple times but Ripley is a new talent from a new generation that needs to learn that this is HER division.
- Rhea getting the win puts her over as the next big superstar of the women's division.

Counterpoint:  It is Charlotte

Counter counterpoint:  How did that work for Asuka a couple years ago?  Granted she wasn't an NXT champ but had a huge streak and was a much bigger star than Ripley

I mean it is better than the 100th version of any other match but like others have said, I will believe it when I see it

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Counterpoint:  It is Charlotte

Counter counterpoint:  How did that work for Asuka a couple years ago?  Granted she wasn't an NXT champ but had a huge streak and was a much bigger star than Ripley

It's very rare for any single loss to be so crushing that it's responsible for a wrestler's trajectory for multiple subsequent months. Asuka's loss to Charlotte was in no way responsible for the months and months of woefully inadequate booking Asuka received after it. If they wanted to book her more strongly, they could have. Dropping one fall to Charlotte didn't kill her off. The next few months of doing nothing did.

"It is Charlotte" is frankly a great argument for why she should win. She's one of the few people consistently treated like a star. In WWE, stars win. Hogan did it. Cena did it. I wish they'd let Roman win even more than he already does. Let the stars be stars. Hogan must pose? I'll do you one better: Hogan should pose. 

I'd be all for a Charlotte run in NXT. Gives that show a little more juice and legitimacy. And she can get the Finn Balor treatment, where someone who's clearly spinning their wheels on the main roster can go get a fresh coat of paint. There are many virtues to going this route, and that doesn't even touch on the very real possibility that Hunter's current face of the division might just win. Have Charlotte and Shayna essentially swap brands and roles and let's go. This is nothing but good. 

Also: The nerd crowd at Full Sail feels like exactly the type that would be extra salty about Charlotte winning the Rumble and coming to win yet another belt. I would love to see that dynamic play out for a couple months. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

He also said this might be a cover-up for the real plan (Charlotte vs Ronda) since so few people would know about a return match for her and they'd want to keep it under wraps as long as possible.

If WWE cares about losing to AEW every Wednesday, then having Charlotte go to NXT isn't the worst idea ever. The only time WWE fans have cared about NXT is around Survivor Series when names from the other two brands were invading.  Say what you will about Bryan Alvarez, but he had a good point in that the people who watch NXT are always going to watch NXT, but to get (some of) the people that watch RAW and Smackdown and nothing else to tune in, you'll have to have "stars" on NXT, because to them people like Ciampa and Adam Cole or whoever aren't stars.

Putting arguably THE biggest name in their women's division on NXT is a push in that direction. Plus I wouldn't mind seeing Charlotte against some of these NXT women - at least it'd be fresh. I know she's injured right now apparently, but Io Shirai vs Charlotte Flair? Yeah, sign me up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

"It is Charlotte" is frankly a great argument for why she should win. She's one of the few people consistently treated like a star. In WWE, stars win. Hogan did it. Cena did it. I wish they'd let Roman win even more than he already does. Let the stars be stars. Hogan must pose? I'll do you one better: Hogan should pose. 

You're saying that like the WWE fans would never even think of rejecting a pushed babyface and booing them instead. Who was the last guy they gave the monster babyface push to, that didn't get either the Cena split crowd, or the Rocky Miavia outright rejection and hatred?

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

You're saying that like the WWE fans would never even think of rejecting a pushed babyface and booing them instead. Who was the last guy they gave the monster babyface push to, that didn't get either the Cena split crowd, or the Rocky Miavia outright rejection and hatred?

Quite the opposite. I've long since made my peace with those reactions and think they're super useful. They create the best atmospheres and the biggest big match feel of anything in WWE. Everyone should aspire to get reactions that visceral and raw. Cena and Roman matches (especially before the cancer) were better off because of just how nuts those guys drive a large segment of the audience. Hopefully as Mania season goes on, Charlotte can get some of that Corbin heat. 

3 hours ago, Casey said:

If WWE cares about losing to AEW every Wednesday, then having Charlotte go to NXT isn't the worst idea ever. The only time WWE fans have cared about NXT is around Survivor Series when names from the other two brands were invading.  Say what you will about Bryan Alvarez, but he had a good point in that the people who watch NXT are always going to watch NXT, but to get (some of) the people that watch RAW and Smackdown and nothing else to tune in, you'll have to have "stars" on NXT, because to them people like Ciampa and Adam Cole or whoever aren't stars.

Putting arguably THE biggest name in their women's division on NXT is a push in that direction. Plus I wouldn't mind seeing Charlotte against some of these NXT women - at least it'd be fresh. I know she's injured right now apparently, but Io Shirai vs Charlotte Flair? Yeah, sign me up.

Maybe it's different for me as a casual fan, but I don't think it's because Ciampa and Adam Cole aren't or cannot be stars. If you put them on the main roster with the right timing and the right influence, who the fuck knows? They'll probably get fucked up, but you can always rehab guys. NXT on USA is a no frills wrestling show without the amount of craziness you'll see on the bigger WWE shows. The mastermind behind this is Paul Levesque, who is 50 years old and turning 51 this year. What is the only demo NXT on USA consistently beats AEW in? There you go.

And I don't really see them putting Charlotte (even if it's every other week) on NXT because you're basically turning NXT into WWF Superstars. Hey, Bret Hart might wrestle Virgil in the main event! Once she goes back up to the major leagues from Double A, it's back to losing every week and also would be a big letdown to the fans who were tuning in to see her. If they do send her there, it's 100 percent out of desperation.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

To pick nits - the change wasn't done day of. It is believed to have been done about two weeks prior (since you can see with the betting lines that around Jan 14 folks started betting heavily on Charlotte)

Wait, what? People actually bet on the outcome of professional wrestling matches?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LP Steve said:

Wait, what? People actually bet on the outcome of professional wrestling matches?

They also bet on how many stars Dave Meltzer will give a match. 

The betting on wins and losses though actually kind of controls the outcome of certain matches now which is all kinds of terrible. 

What really made Asuka look like a scrub was right after tapping out Becky Lynch, losing non-title matches to Mandy Rose and then the title to Charlotte Flair in such an anticlimactic, telegraphed fashion on a random ass episode of Smackdown. Even this so-called rehabilitation of Asuka has only involved the Kabuki Warriors beating Charlotte in handicap matches or getting cheap mist/roll-up victories over Charlotte and Becky. Other heels usually get to at least hit their finisher off a distraction to get cheap wins. Generic sneaky foreigner heel isn't much of a character rehabilitation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Looks like Nikki Bella got her wish.  She and Brie are both pregnant and 2 weeks apart.  Congrats to the Bella's and their boys. 

Congratulations to Bryan/Brie and Artem/Nikki xxx

Edited by The Natural

15 hours ago, LP Steve said:

Marks never die out, it's really like 100+ years ago (before the Gold Dust Trio), where working was done (at least partly) to maximize the profit of the bookies.

Edited by Robert s