DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Was Van Hammer's failure to get over in WCW in the early 90s more to do with the fact that Maxx Payne was also there and doing a more credible Heavy Metal gimmick at the same time (thus making Van Hammer look like a plastic poser by comparison), or more to do with the fact that he wasn't very good at the graps?

Hell, JT Southern was more credible in the gimmick. He exposed Hammer badly when they feuded.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Exactly. I think Roman pulls it off well enough too because he also has a larger frame.

Gargano is another I don't like doing the spear, but at least his is a slingshot spear.

Having played American Football and knowing how to tackle someone is probably part of it.

38 minutes ago, Pete said:

Hell, JT Southern was more credible in the gimmick. He exposed Hammer badly when they feuded.

Yeah- JT Southern's credibility is like Maxx Payne, and bother give the excuse for why Van Hammer failed- unlike Van Hammer, Southern and Payne actually knew how to play guitar and were able to show that they could onscreen. 

Van Hammer was an example of the longstanding wrestling rule: If you have a prop as part of your gimmick, and you don't use it on your way to the ring, then everyone knows for a fact you don't know how. (Similar to the Dynamic Dudes carrying skateboards to the ring, etc.) 

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And multiple of outlets have confirmed that Tom Phillips is officially replacing Vic Joseph on the RAW broadcast crew

I like Vic, but this makes me happy as it just felt odd that Phillips lost out on Raw/SD broadcast position so randomly.

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

At the very least for Edge, STOP DOING THE SPEAR. Fine, you did it last night, but you have other finishers you can use. Him continuing the spear is just asking for something awful to happen.

Edgecator+1.gif

Bring back the Edgecator, like that submission move. Cool when Edge started using it again in 2011.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

Random thought: Charlotte challenges Rhea Ripley for the NXT title.

- Helps put over NXT as a legitimate 3rd brand.
- Rhea got that pin on Charlotte.
- Charlotte can talk about how she has beaten Bayley and Becky multiple times but Ripley is a new talent from a new generation that needs to learn that this is HER division.
- Rhea getting the win puts her over as the next big superstar of the women's division.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 1

The NXT push is finished. They beat AEW in the ratings one time and that was it. Look at how every NXT representative did in the Rumble matches - the only ones who got any kind of shine were Big Strong Keith Lee and Big Strong Bianca Belair. Vince has given up on NXT. He's got the XFL to worry about now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

I like Vic, but this makes me happy as it just felt odd that Phillips lost out on Raw/SD broadcast position so randomly.

I thought Vic was very good, but I really like Tom Phillips,  he's pretty great.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Morganti said:

Randomly watching Chappelle show while i cook and laughing at Mae Young randomly showing up in a segment about great New York boobs.

Did Chappelle do that bit more than once? I was watching an episode recently where he did that one, and I didn’t notice Mae. 

1 hour ago, Morganti said:

She says hey real name.  She's like the second or third girl he gives the ribbon to.

Are you talking about the woman at 0:48? Because I don't think that's Mae Young.

7 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Yeah- JT Southern's credibility is like Maxx Payne, and bother give the excuse for why Van Hammer failed- unlike Van Hammer, Southern and Payne actually knew how to play guitar and were able to show that they could onscreen. 

Van Hammer was an example of the longstanding wrestling rule: If you have a prop as part of your gimmick, and you don't use it on your way to the ring, then everyone knows for a fact you don't know how. (Similar to the Dynamic Dudes carrying skateboards to the ring, etc.) 

Eerie moment for me. I saw these posts just minutes before I was watching Clash X where after Cactus Jack jobs to Mil Mascaras, he attacks and brawls with JT Southern.

Then I thought about the story Mick told about that night where Joe Blanchard, who was in charge of the ring crew, asked Mick backstage since he put over Mil and then put over a fucking drummer, can he put over Joe. I think the point here is even if you know how to use a prop at a proficient level, in a wrestling setting, it's probably going to be goofy anyway. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matt925 said:

I don’t think he said “AEW” quite clearly enough(He did the old “scratch the back of your head, and say the company name super fast because we’re admitting we like wrestling in public” move). Most reporters are probably mistaken that A&W Root Beer have their own wrestling company.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

7 hours ago, AxB said:

The NXT push is finished. They beat AEW in the ratings one time and that was it. Look at how every NXT representative did in the Rumble matches - the only ones who got any kind of shine were Big Strong Keith Lee and Big Strong Bianca Belair. Vince has given up on NXT. He's got the XFL to worry about now.

Are we using the Alvarez logic that Shanya didn't shine because she was only in for 4 minutes?

She had the same number of eliminations as Bianca in a 1/3 of the time.

Or are we not considering Shanya NXT anymore since she is Becky's Mania opponent?