DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

45 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I understand them wanting to  finally get away from WWFs Polynesian stereotype gimmick but I wish they had come in as the Island Boys. I remember reading about them in the Apter mags during their HWA run. They didn't get to work together long enough on the Main Roster. Rosey was so over teaming with Hurricane. He was doing split legged moonsaults. We know Umaga was good probably the best of his family but Rosey was very good too.

Rosey was athletic, but I honestly can't recall him being actively good in matches. i remember his AJPW run was pretty weak. Also I always preferred the non Islander gimmicks from them.

5 hours ago, Godfrey said:

May not be the best but my personal fave was 2002: Stone Cold, Triple H, Kurt Angle, and Mr Perfect. Seeing Hennig, one of my faves ever, return and get so far was a great moment, I wish he'd stuck around.

He did and was getting a pretty surprising nostalgia push. Then the plane ride from hell happened...

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

ITV are terrible. Plus they nearly killed my football team and a bunch of others that one time they decided there was money to be made in screening second tier matches. This is fine, I watch AEW on Fite TV anyways, but cheers for the heads up.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Godfrey said:

May not be the best but my personal fave was 2002: Stone Cold, Triple H, Kurt Angle, and Mr Perfect. Seeing Hennig, one of my faves ever, return and get so far was a great moment, I wish he'd stuck around.

I didn't see that RR when it happened but it got him and Golddust rehired. I watched it much later on but the next night on RAW he was used as a top guy he had a match with Austin. I was so happy to see him back in WWF with his Mr Perfect theme. He was made like a big deal that night and the next Smackdown  then he was back on the mid card until he got released after the plane ride from hell. He was over, they even did vignettes of him again . It was surreal seeing him on equal footing with Angle and Austin and Hunter in that Rumble.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I just rewatched the 30/30 of Ric Flair. Is it fair to say that Ric is a bigger name now in pop culture than when he was on top of the world?

To the man on the street, probably. In the 80s, you likely had lots of wrestling fans who only watched wwf and didnt know flair or Dusty until they went there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

Meh. Doesn't matter if he's motivated. The visual of WALTER taking dozens of german suplexes is enough for me to veto such a match under WWE spotlights. 

See, the visual of Brock's chest covered in broken blood vessels does the opposite to me. 

43 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I just rewatched the 30/30 of Ric Flair. Is it fair to say that Ric is a bigger name now in pop culture than when he was on top of the world?

I’m honestly not quite sure. Like @odessasteps said I was one of those who only knew Flair, and Dusty when they were in the WWF. But I was only 4 when Dusty wore the polka dots, and 6 when Flair terrorized the top stars of the WWF. I didn’t really veer off of what I knew about, and I most likely knew the WWF more because they would squarely advertise to my age range. Superman, Mickey Mouse, Robocop, and Hulk Hogan represented my childhood Mount Rushmore. When I first found out the existence of WCW was seeing a cheap set of stamps for kids(that included Flair in the set) in a grocery store aisle. And this was after Flair had appeared on WWF TV, so these things were pretty dated at this point. I figured at that time that WCW were the college equivalent to Pro Wrestling. It wasn’t until Hogan went there that I realized it wasn’t.

But I’m sure there was a large segment of the population that knew the existence of WCW judging from the big crowds they would draw even prior to Hogan going there.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

48 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Yeah, I think so. I credit rappers, the Carolina Hurricanes, and general '80s nostalgia for this.

2 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Yeah, I think so. I credit rappers, the Carolina Hurricanes, and general '80s nostalgia for this.

The Ultimate Ric Flair Collection DVD helped too(No matter how small the sample size was) when it came to understanding what kind of wrestler Flair was, and why he was so revered.

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

With NWA/WCW being a Turner company it could've happened decades ago but outside of Ted Turner himself they could care less about Wrestling. He could've been on the same level as Michael Jordan or Charles Barkley at least pop culture wise.

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

With NWA/WCW being a Turner company it could've happened decades ago but outside of Ted Turner himself they could care less about Wrestling. He could've been on the same level as Michael Jordan or Charles Barkley at least pop culture wise.

You do grasp how popular Michael Jordan was and kinda still is, right?

• Like 5