DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

1 hour ago, mikeoldmac said:

hey guys quick question and forgive me if its in wrong section...

im starting a youtube channel on rebooking wrestling angles,pushes,cards etc and just wanted some suggestions really on what you would like to see if you had chance

topics im already covering are Seth after wrestlemania, Taz in WWE and The nexus.

I know invasion is always a huge one but trying to stay clear of that for now and do ones abit different.

thanks in advance ?

I'll definitely give your channel a look.

Here's an idea that I always come back to when reading various WCW "what if?'s...What if, instead of acting like starstruck children, WCW actually plays hardball with Hogan and refuses to give him creative control? Imagine an alternate WCW where Hogan gets his couple years in the sun as champ/headliner, but doesn't get to kill Vader's credibility or make Flair look like a complete goof at every turn. Instead of dominating the title scene for years, he's moved out of it in favor of up-and-comers like Dustin and Austin, while still having a prominent place on the card, with "Hogan vs. Dungeon of Doom" essentially becoming the 90's version of "Valiant vs. Paul Jones Army". You could still eventually go to the NWO from there, but with a completely different WCW landscape. Anyway, it's an idea...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Here's an idea that I always come back to when reading various WCW "what if?'s...What if, instead of acting like starstruck children, WCW actually plays hardball with Hogan and refuses to give him creative control? Imagine an alternate WCW where Hogan gets his couple years in the sun as champ/headliner, but doesn't get to kill Vader's credibility or make Flair look like a complete goof at every turn. Instead of dominating the title scene for years, he's moved out of it in favor of up-and-comers like Dustin and Austin, while still having a prominent place on the card, with "Hogan vs. Dungeon of Doom" essentially becoming the 90's version of "Valiant vs. Paul Jones Army". You could still eventually go to the NWO from there, but with a completely different WCW landscape. Anyway, it's an idea...

thats a great one! or maybe a what if hogan didnt go!

am i ok to post the links in here dont want to get in trouble

14 minutes ago, mikeoldmac said:

thats a great one! or maybe a what if hogan didnt go!

am i ok to post the links in here dont want to get in trouble

I'm sure the admins can clarify but depending on the link I don't think it's an issue.

Oh, and along with responses here if you need some "What if" type ideas there's a topic for that that might be worth looking at.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

30 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

I think Hogan would have told them to F.O. if they didn't give him that creative control.  Otherwise they could have brought him in to lose to everyone to prove WCW's superiority.  You know, like Vince did all the time.

• Like 1

Thinking at work - does the Impact/TNA title have the best lineage of any long-term "world" title currently around in the US?

The Universal title is new, the WWE title has non-wrestlers like Vince and midcarders like Jinder and Bray muddying it up. The ROH title fell off a cliff. 

Also, Impact/TNA has a lot of overlap with all the other world titles because they either had legends like Foley, Sting and Angle win it or had guys on the come-up like AJ, Joe etc. win it early.

So, yeah, is Tessa Blanchard currently holding the title with the best lineage?

Edited by Hagan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Interesting pick by CM Punk. I thought he'd have gone with his match with John Cena at Money in the Bank 2011. Instead it's Cena/Punk from RAW, 25th February 2013. A great match, still remember the reaction to Punk's Piledriver and how WWE briefly uploaded the match without any ad breaks, rare WWE does that.

Always felt the 2013 match was their best. I thought it was the one where punk brought the most to the table which is surprising seeing that he wasn't feeling well then. MITB is good but overrated due to how many saw it as Punk's biggest moment in WWE. i thought most of the matches they had after were better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Wanted to quantify US only. Just an interesting thought experiment.

I'd say your Jinders and Brays are cancelled out by guys like Chris Sabin and Eric Young. And I can look past Vince having the belt for a week as there's a much longer history of quality champions attached to that title. Just my two cents, but I'm not seeing it. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

midcarders like Jinder and Bray

Snuck that one in there, didn't you?

29 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

If it counts as a world championship, my pick is probably the NXT title. Not an Arquette or Jinder in the bunch. 

It's a little late to still be a Bo-liever.

For what it's worth, Jinder is far more credible to me than Sami Callihan, Eddie Edwards, or a half-crippled Foley.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Snuck that one in there, didn't you?

For what it's worth, Jinder is far more credible to me than Sami Callihan, Eddie Edwards, or a half-crippled Foley.

Wow, I really spaced on that one, good look dude.

• Like 1

I forgot that Chris Sabin was the TNA champion. EY I'm fine with being champion because they built to that for a long time and he was such a mainstay in TNA.

I'm also fine with Vince McMahon's run as champion. Bray's run as champion is still better than Jinder's. It was clear they were trying to recapture what they did with JBL with that Jinder run and it just didn't work. Jinder as champion would have been a whole let better if he didn't go from being a jobber on Raw to immediately in the world title picture on SmackDown. I would have liked it more with Jinder building up more wins, being angry that he wasn't being given a shot, people telling him he hasn't beaten anyone, him saying he would prove everyone wrong, notching some signature wins, and then winning the world title. That's months and months of build and WWE creative doesn't have the patience for that, but had they done that and never, ever, EVER done the Punjabi Prison match then I think Jinder's run would be better than it was.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Thinking at work - does the Impact/TNA title have the best lineage of any long-term "world" title currently around in the US?

The Universal title is new, the WWE title has non-wrestlers like Vince and midcarders like Jinder and Bray muddying it up. The ROH title fell off a cliff. 

Also, Impact/TNA has a lot of overlap with all the other world titles because they either had legends like Foley, Sting and Angle win it or had guys on the come-up like AJ, Joe etc. win it early.

I say it's still the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. Even when it was dead it had Dan Severn carting it around in UFC. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Bo in NXT at least got heat and gave Neville a pretty good launching pad to being top face for a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hagan said:

If your gonna merge Impact and TNA then you can merge the Universal and whatever it replaced(big gold?).  

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I dont recall, since I wasnt watching then.

I just figured someone would say it. Just as someone will also say the ROH title. 

I was, but then Matt Taven won it, and that completely sunk it to the lowest depths.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I forgot that Chris Sabin was the TNA champion. EY I'm fine with being champion because they built to that for a long time and he was such a mainstay in TNA.

I'm also fine with Vince McMahon's run as champion. Bray's run as champion is still better than Jinder's. It was clear they were trying to recapture what they did with JBL with that Jinder run and it just didn't work. Jinder as champion would have been a whole let better if he didn't go from being a jobber on Raw to immediately in the world title picture on SmackDown. I would have liked it more with Jinder building up more wins, being angry that he wasn't being given a shot, people telling him he hasn't beaten anyone, him saying he would prove everyone wrong, notching some signature wins, and then winning the world title. That's months and months of build and WWE creative doesn't have the patience for that, but had they done that and never, ever, EVER done the Punjabi Prison match then I think Jinder's run would be better than it was.

I don't disagree with any of this but your last point. The Punjabi Prison match went so far into WTF territory with the Khali lumber-in finish and the Singhs taking tons of big boy bumps that it actually veered into being fun. I recognize that's a kinda weird opinion though. 

• Like 3