DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

On 1/19/2020 at 5:35 PM, sabremike said:

Question: Besides WWE Network what pro wrestling streaming services/apps are available on Roku?

There is a few free ones.With Jarrett Parsons wrestling being the best of them.

For ones you gotta pay for there is

Highspots Wrestling network-10 bucks a month and loaded with shows ,documentaries and shoots.

IWTV-Keep hearing they are good and IIRC they now carry the smartmark video stuff.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bobholly138 said:

There is a few free ones.With Jarrett Parsons wrestling being the best of them.

For ones you gotta pay for there is

Highspots Wrestling network-10 bucks a month and loaded with shows ,documentaries and shoots.

IWTV-Keep hearing they are good and IIRC they now carry the smartmark video stuff.

Thanks! Found that Jarrett-Parsons one which is pretty fun. Also have Highspots mainly because they have the entire ECW fancam archive. Interested in IWTV because one of my good friends from the Empire Supporters Club works with them (our annual Forza Lucha charity shows are on the site).

He had a really bad stroke, I think.  It's been mentioned a few times offhand in interviews and stuff but only people that are really paying attention have noticed it.  There hasn't been like a public acknowledgment on a large scale.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Thanks! Found that Jarrett-Parsons one which is pretty fun. Also have Highspots mainly because they have the entire ECW fancam archive. Interested in IWTV because one of my good friends from the Empire Supporters Club works with them (our annual Forza Lucha charity shows are on the site).

I use Highspots for Northeast Wrestling,Bar Wrestling and Inspire Pro,since they get all those feds shows not long after they happen. Plus most nights I fall asleep listening to one of the 500 or so shoots Highspots has.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, caley said:

I think the biggest problem with Charlotte’s booking isn’t the wins/losses is that she’s booked so no one ever gets the better of her.  She wins, she brags about it.  She loses, she basically shrugs it off as a fluke.  Someone insults her in a promo, she laughs it off. Someone beats her up, she stands up and looks angry.  It’s very rare, as a character, that she shows any vulnerability.  

Take the Sasha feud from way back when: Charlotte loses and basically blames it on a fluke, then wins the title back, basically validating her claim.  Take the previous two weeks with Sarah Logan, Logan jumps her, Charlotte beats her down and stands strong both times. Yesterday, she does a promo that Becky interrupts and she just laughs it off.  

It’s impossible for anyone to get any heat off a character who never looks weak.  It’s hard for the crowd, face or heel, to get behind a character who never seems to be in any danger (Unless it’s a Goldberg/Strowman undefeated monster run).

That really ties to the big problem where Charlotte saying "she has a bad won-loss record" vs. people's complaints occurs: People hate to hear "Wins and losses don't matter" anymore...but really, they don't.

In this era, more than almost any other, perception is reality. At least in prior eras, a big string of wins could make someone a big threat in the company, but now it really can't do that much to make a star. A worker can go undefeated for a long time, but if they're perceived as a lowcarder, they'll always be treated like that. A worker can be winless, but if they're perceived as a big deal, they'll be treated as one.

It's similar to the question with Roman Reigns- the line is "just have him lose matches"...he loses matches all the time. They say "drop him to the midcard"...he spends a lot of time in midcard feuds. But none of it matters because at the end of the day, people perceive Roman Reigns as the face of the company, so he is the face of the company, and that lens dictates what Roman does- so even if Roman broke Curt Hawkins's losing streak record, he'd still be perceived as the face of the company. Likewise with Charlotte- any won-loss record never matters, because Charlotte is perceived as the biggest female star, so that means she is the biggest female star, and anything she does do will go through the lens of "Charlotte is a big star."

All you have to do is ask yourself "who will have the big matches at WrestleMania?"  and the answer to that is Brock Lesnar,  Roman Reigns,  Becky Lynch,  Charlotte Flair and Seth Rollins.  None of the 5 have any chance of being stuck in a nothing match in the midcard somewhere or being on the kickoff or not on the card at all.  Those are your "stars" 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

For some reason, I thought it was chaz vs Mike Davis.

They did an angle with Mike Davis prior to the bungee match. Mike did a slingshot bungee launch from the ground. He was catapulted into the sky and when he was lowered to the ground, he showed off the “moon rock” he snatched.   Man, I loved Global. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

So he’ll probably sign with ROH? 

Maybe AEW would be willing to give him same contract as Moxley and Jericho, but then I'm not sure if he is big enough name for NJPW to sign him. I like him, but I doubt that he'd get much bigger role than what Cobb has.

Interesting pick by CM Punk. I thought he'd have gone with his match with John Cena at Money in the Bank 2011. Instead it's Cena/Punk from RAW, 25th February 2013. A great match, still remember the reaction to Punk's Piledriver and how WWE briefly uploaded the match without any ad breaks, rare WWE does that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Where is this available?

https://www.etsy.com/MulletTee/listing/495211506/world-famous-sportatorium-dallas-texas?utm_campaign=Share&utm_medium=social_organic&utm_source=MSMT&utm_term=so.smt&share_time=1578865222000

Here is the link from his twitter.  If you aren't following him on twitter I'd recommend it. He's uploaded some classic GWF matches lately including one of his father vs Patriot. I don't remember ever seeing the match prior.  

Also I have to ask is your screen name based off of the song by Glassjaw?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sabremike said:

Highspots is a keeper,  IWTV formerly powerbombtv is incredible too. Lots of live streams and an incredible on demand library.  Also WWN with all of the Evolve, FIP, and DragongateUSA shows is worth $10.   Then of course you have Honor Club which if you figure $10 a month isn't bad for 2-3 live shows and a half decent on demand section.  The only issue is that they clearly don't give a shit about adding older shows and when you log on it still shows a video screen for Kenny Omega.  

CZW studios is there but most if not all of those shows are on Highspots and/or IWTV.  

Progress and Rev Pro have pay channels as well if you want to see some British Wrestling.  You can also get some of each promotion on Highspots.

IWTV has a $100 for the year deal which saves you $20.  It's worth it.  Lots of hidden gems on there.  You get most of Chikara's library now too.

Or you can pay and get the Chikaratopia app. Getting the live and on demand Chikara shows. Unless you are a die hard I wouldn't do this as you can get the majority of it on IWTV.

I hope this helps.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hey guys quick question and forgive me if its in wrong section...

im starting a youtube channel on rebooking wrestling angles,pushes,cards etc and just wanted some suggestions really on what you would like to see if you had chance

topics im already covering are Seth after wrestlemania, Taz in WWE and The nexus.

I know invasion is always a huge one but trying to stay clear of that for now and do ones abit different.

thanks in advance :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Harper as exalted one

That’s a great choice, and something different for him that he’s never done up to this point in his career. Him playing against type for whatever left he has in his career as a lead in a storyline, rather than a supporting player would be a nice way to cap an in-ring career. He’d also leading what could end up being a Chikara alumni stable. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

That’s a great choice, and something different for him that he’s never done up to this point in his career. Him playing against type for whatever left he has in his career as a lead in a storyline, rather than a supporting player would be a nice way to cap an in-ring career. He’d also leading what could end up being a Chikara alumni stable. 

It'd also put him in a spot where he'd be wrestling top guys in top guy matches, since he'd be the leader of the stable.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

It'd also put him in a spot where he'd be wrestling top guys in top guy matches, since he'd be the leader of the stable.  

I'd prefer this way more than old, broken down, but still physically looking ok Matt Hardy. If it's Matt Hardy, it would just be a rehash of his broken shit, which is all just played for laughs. And I can't suspend disbelief that Matt Hardy could kick anyone's ass. Hell, I can suspend disbelief for Marko doing ranas more than I could Matt Hardy beating anyone up at this point. Harper is a killer though, has a cool look, and would probably look even more sinister if you put him in a suit.