DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

Lets hope so. Strange how this happens so soon after the SKY deal ends. Is BT Sport not as protective of their exclusivity? Also, Channel 5? Impact is on 5Star. Technically puts them in the same group of channels.

• Like 1

I think the biggest problem with Charlotte’s booking isn’t the wins/losses is that she’s booked so no one ever gets the better of her.  She wins, she brags about it.  She loses, she basically shrugs it off as a fluke.  Someone insults her in a promo, she laughs it off. Someone beats her up, she stands up and looks angry.  It’s very rare, as a character, that she shows any vulnerability.  

Take the Sasha feud from way back when: Charlotte loses and basically blames it on a fluke, then wins the title back, basically validating her claim.  Take the previous two weeks with Sarah Logan, Logan jumps her, Charlotte beats her down and stands strong both times. Yesterday, she does a promo that Becky interrupts and she just laughs it off.  

It’s impossible for anyone to get any heat off a character who never looks weak.  It’s hard for the crowd, face or heel, to get behind a character who never seems to be in any danger (Unless it’s a Goldberg/Strowman undefeated monster run).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, caley said:

I think the biggest problem with Charlotte’s booking isn’t the wins/losses is that she’s booked so no one ever gets the better of her.  She wins, she brags about it.  She loses, she basically shrugs it off as a fluke.  Someone insults her in a promo, she laughs it off. Someone beats her up, she stands up and looks angry.  It’s very rare, as a character, that she shows any vulnerability.  

Take the Sasha feud from way back when: Charlotte loses and basically blames it on a fluke, then wins the title back, basically validating her claim.  Take the previous two weeks with Sarah Logan, Logan jumps her, Charlotte beats her down and stands strong both times. Yesterday, she does a promo that Becky interrupts and she just laughs it off.  

It’s impossible for anyone to get any heat off a character who never looks weak.  It’s hard for the crowd, face or heel, to get behind a character who never seems to be in any danger (Unless it’s a Goldberg/Strowman undefeated monster run).

These are basically the same things they did when they booked Cena.

I think another issue with Charlotte is that she hasn't really evolved. At all.  Look at where the Horsewomen (and even Asuka) were five years ago.  They've all changed or updated their character to some degree.  Becky was able to break out because of it.  But Charlotte is exactly the same as she was in 2015.  

And yeah, she can't sell an angle worth a shit.  Becky turns on her, she just looks mildly annoyed.  Asuka mists her, she acts like she's been spit on instead of treating it like she's in blinding pain.

37 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I think another issue with Charlotte is that she hasn't really evolved. At all.  Look at where the Horsewomen (and even Asuka) were five years ago.  They've all changed or updated their character to some degree.  Becky was able to break out because of it.  But Charlotte is exactly the same as she was in 2015.  

And yeah, she can't sell an angle worth a shit.  Becky turns on her, she just looks mildly annoyed.  Asuka mists her, she acts like she's been spit on instead of treating it like she's in blinding pain.

I get she has the Flair lineage but I don't see anything in Charlotte that would warrant her being a long term champion. Like you mentioned Becky has evolved, Asuka has evolved, as has Bayley where as Charlotte and even Sasha (whom I like)  have remained stagnant. Natalia is another one who has really never changed/updated her character.  To be fair their fathers never really changed/updated either.  Jim was the same for his whole run.  

9 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I get she has the Flair lineage but I don't see anything in Charlotte that would warrant her being a long term champion. Like you mentioned Becky has evolved, Asuka has evolved, as has Bayley where as Charlotte and even Sasha (whom I like)  have remained stagnant. Natalia is another one who has really never changed/updated her character.  To be fair their fathers never really changed/updated either.  Jim was the same for his whole run.  

Who?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

So is this a good deal? I'm  curious since I recall how Cody mentioned WWE always had a terrible tv deal for the UK.

The bigger deal is with BTSport. I doubt there's a ton of money involved - the weekend morning timeslots are as good as any I suppose. But do children have TVs in their rooms anymore? Fucked if I know tbh.

Raw is going to be over 5 days after it first aired (Sunday morning), Smackdown is on Saturday morning - I'm expecting it to be a week behind (they're only going to have a few hours in the middle of a night to put the hour together otherwise). So.....nah.

Edited by ComingToAmerica

There used to be a one hour RAW highlights show on SKY1, when the live version was on Sky Sports. It really let you know what the company thought the draw was (matches would be clipped to under five minutes, but the 20 minute opening promo would be shown in full most weeks). Of the 42 minutes of show without commercials, less than fifteen minutes would be actual bell to bell wrestling. More time for promos and entrances.

Well the point was making was more that I don't think a lot of money will be changing hands here.

Yeah, having highlights on a free-to-air is better than not having them. I mean, I can get an edited hour of RAW on YouTube pretty easily - I tend to assume any 11 year old can as well. So how valuable it really is in 2020 is questionable.

This was actually news to me (or maybe I forgot about it) so here it is

I wanna know two things. 

1. If Chaz smartened up his mom or if it was a "mom"

2. If Herbie paid in money or coke

That is some prime Wrestlecrap, worth it for the Chaz interview alone. "I saw my life flash between my eyes!"

EDIT: Scratch #2, I was mixing up Global and UWF

Edited by Curt McGirt