DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

House shows don't count unless they want them to count.  I thought it was odd that Graves had such a problem with her recent booking,  most women would kill for it. 

Most women would kill for it because it means they are on tv. More often than not it still hasn't been good booking. She won a belt three times last year for the sole purpose of quickly losing it to another woman. In the first case she took blame for what was dumbass decision on WWE's part so they could have Becky win two titles. That was bad for Charlotte and for Asuka. The second time she held the belt for all of a few minutes so Bayley could win via MITB. Then she won the belt just lose it again a week or two later so Bayley could fully cement her character change. Charlotte never even had a proper face turn which has made things semi awkward for her audience reactions. She didn't get much in the way of actual feuds for a lot of this as well since most of it was rather halfassed outside of the WM feud. She has been kind of aimless since joining Raw outside of the Kabuki Warriors feud where they took Nattie out as her partner and replaced her with Becky who Charlotte really needs to be far away from for a good long while after their long feud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Most women would kill for it because it means they are on tv. More often than not it still hasn't been good booking. She won a belt three times last year for the sole purpose of quickly losing it to another woman. In the first case she took blame for what was dumbass decision on WWE's part so they could have Becky win two titles. That was bad for Charlotte and for Asuka. The second time she held the belt for all of a few minutes so Bayley could win via MITB. Then she won the belt just lose it again a week or two later so Bayley could fully cement her character change. Charlotte never even had a proper face turn which has made things semi awkward for her audience reactions. She didn't get much in the way of actual feuds for a lot of this as well since most of it was rather halfassed outside of the WM feud. She has been kind of aimless since joining Raw outside of the Kabuki Warriors feud where they took Nattie out as her partner and replaced her with Becky who Charlotte really needs to be far away from for a good long while after their long feud.

I wouldn't classify any of that as 'bad booking' because if I did then I'd have to say 99% of all WWE is constantly bad booking, which hey. At this point, that's pretty much the standard for someone who isn't in a title picture. 

But speaking of title pictures,  Charlotte has lived in the title picture.  She has 242 combined days as RAW Women's Champion and 193 days as Smackdown Women's Champion.  Throw in 196 days as Divas Champion and by my math that is 631 days as the headliner of her division.  Almost two full years. 

Now throw in where she's chased the title..    This is really the first time in her entire career where she hasn't been in the main event and don't worry she'll be right back up there soon enough. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I'm not sure how piss poor and half assed written feuds along with random short title wins/reigns don't qualify as bad booking.

She's had plenty of lengthy reigns too. Also,  these "random" title wins aren't random at all..  they want her to break Ric's 16 reigns so it's actually good booking for her as that's the plan. 

19 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

She's had plenty of lengthy reigns too. Also,  these "random" title wins aren't random at all..  they want her to break Ric's 16 reigns so it's actually good booking for her as that's the plan. 

We aren't talking about her entire WWE career, just this past year. And no, the quick reigns to get closer to Ric's record aren't good booking. If it was just a one off every other year or so it might have be fine, but the three from last year and the ones from her feud with Sasha have already made the idea of that joke and not something people will likely give a damn about when the time comes.

I get it. She is still a top star so you really don't give a damn if she has a problem with her booking. The reality is though she has little to no momentum despite being a top star, and this past year of booking is a big reason as to why.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I get it. She is still a top star so you really don't give a damn if she has a problem with her booking. The reality is though she has little to no momentum despite being a top star, and this past year of booking is a big reason as to why.

Nobody has momentum.  Even Roman Reigns. I'm not saying she's been booked perfectly,  I'm saying she's been booked better than every other woman (and most men too) on the roster outside of maybe Becky but that's just this past year.  

The talk of her booking by Graves and her Dad and now her though she was asked is ridiculous when you considering what 99% of the roster deals with. 

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm not saying she's been booked perfectly,  I'm saying she's been booked better than every other woman (and most men too) on the roster outside of maybe Becky but that's just this past year.  

So you're basically damning her booking with faint praise, then.

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

So should she just not give a shit how she is used as long as she has a high spot on the card?

Yes because the other option is asking WWE creative to do something they haven't done in 20 years and that's not a realistic option.  Roman Reigns is in a feud with Baron Corbin over dog food. Do I think Roman is in a bad spot creatively?  Not at all. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yes because the other option is asking WWE creative to do something they haven't done in 20 years and that's not a realistic option.  Roman Reigns is in a feud with Baron Corbin over dog food. Do I think Roman is in a bad spot creatively?  Not at all. 

Roman is in an actual sustained feud that is pushed as important on his show.