DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

To be fair, a straight transliteration from the Japanese katakana would be something like ‘Raigaa’ so the R is somewhat forgivable if the translator is being very literal and has never heard of a half lion/half tiger before.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Happy returns, R-Truth. Has the knack of making things funny even when saddled with stupid shit.

They'll be able to re-use this picture in 20 years cuz Truth won't look any different

• Like 2

Apropos of nothing....Years ago, I had character in a Fire Pro efed named Death Row.  After a fairly good heel run, Death Row lost the blow-off to a feud and had to unmask.  I decided that "Death Row" was a terrible name for a babyface so I decided to change his name. 

First step was to change his last name to "Rowe".  "Death" was just his nickname.  But I couldn't come up with a first name I liked, so I retconned him to be Irish and announced his first name was "Rowan".  So his ring name eventually ended up as "Row Rowe".

It got worse.  Part of the problem with making him Irish was that his heel skin tone gave other players the impression he was biracial.  So I had to lighten his skin tone about nine shades to Sheamus-white.  Then someone made a "Row Rowe Rowe your boat" joke and I gave him a short-lived boat captain gimmick (he was basically a cross of babyface Norman the Lunatic and Captain Mike Rotunda).

I would ask you not to judge me but you totally should.  It was a series of bad ideas.  A couple of his signature moves had the word "Potato" in the name.  Finisher was a lariat briefly called the "Potato Peeler" 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Happy returns, R-Truth. Has the knack of making things funny even when saddled with stupid shit.

For one of the future Broken Skull Ranch interviews I would love to see Austin interview R-Truth.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Eivion said:

For one of the future Broken Skull Ranch interviews I would love to see Austin interview R-Truth.

Truth was on Jericho's podcast a couple years ago. It was pretty good. 

• Like 1

Watching Wrestle Kingdom a few weeks ago I was thinking to myself why would anyone want to be in the Final match/Main Event match at Wrestle Mania. The last 2 Manias I struggled to stay up for the Main Event. I know last year was important for the lady's to get to close the show but now that that's done. Why would anyone want to close a show that about 6 hours in total. The Crowd is more so ready for the show to end long before 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Watching Wrestle Kingdom a few weeks ago I was thinking to myself why would anyone want to be in the Final match/Main Event match at Wrestle Mania. The last 2 Manias I struggled to stay up for the Main Event. I know last year was important for the lady's to get to close the show but now that that's done. Why would anyone want to close a show that about 6 hours in total. The Crowd is more so ready for the show to end long before 

*puts on tin foil hat*

WWE knew this would be an issue which is why the women were given the main event.

*takes off tin foil hat*

Edited by L_W_P

This is random: I've looked around for the Shinobu Kandori/Jackie Sato match in full where Kandori deliberately beats holy hell out of Sato in revenge for that eye injury. Is there a full version of that match online anywhere that anyone knows? I've only done a few basic searches.