DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

1 hour ago, AxB said:

NXT right, they have a tag team tournament called the Dusty Rhodes Classic. They have a Women's tournament called the Mae Young Classic. And they have a Cruiserweight Tournament, called... the Cruiserweight Classic. What, they couldn't think of any legendary Light Heavyweights or Super Juniors to name it after? Tiger Mask? Dynamite Kid? Taka Michinoku? Brian Christopher*? Hopefully if it happens in 2020 it can be the Jushin Liger Classic.

How about Pegasus Kid?

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, AxB said:

* Speaking of whom, when they were doing the Memphis Legends deal on AEW Dark, obviously Jerry Lawler couldn't be seen on camera at the show. But was he actually in the building? Because it's sort of a shame if he wasn't. I mean, I don't like the guy on commentary (and never have), but when Justin Roberts was running down the careers and legacies of the legends there, he brought up Lawler as everyone's greatest feud. Whilst there are wrestlers who are Memphis legends, he's the guy who is The Memphis Legend. If he wasn't in attendance, it's kind of like not being invited to your own Birthday party.

I imagine Lawler wasn't there. Even if they had did what Randy Hales wanted and started calling people early, getting Lawler would probably still be a challenge. Anyone working for WWE knows it would start some shit if they end up being spotted at an AEW event.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

NXT right, they have a tag team tournament called the Dusty Rhodes Classic. They have a Women's tournament called the Mae Young Classic. And they have a Cruiserweight Tournament, called... the Cruiserweight Classic. What, they couldn't think of any legendary Light Heavyweights or Super Juniors to name it after? Tiger Mask? Dynamite Kid? Taka Michinoku? Brian Christopher*? Hopefully if it happens in 2020 it can be the Jushin Liger Classic.

The Cruiserweight Classic was a one time tournament. Doesn't seem like something they have any plans to bring back.

Arguably their most significant cruiserweight ever, a man who broke down barriers and shattered conventions everywhere he travelled in his storied career, is a man who’s still going too strong as an active wrestler to just be a name on a tournament...

Yes, the nZo Classic is going to have to wait a few years... 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

They should combine the CWC & the KotR and call it: King of the Cruiserweights

Like it. You've also reminded me of the following:

No wonder the artist formerly known as Neville quit WWE after the above and booked to lose to Enzo F'n Amore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Like it. You've also reminded me of the following:

No wonder the artist formerly known as Neville quit WWE after the above and booked to lose to Enzo F'n Amore.

That looks exactly like the shirts we were given for gym class in middle school. Just so God damn lazy. And he was already saddled with that awful name. Adrian was terrible enough because it was so close to the singer Aaron, and then just Neville on its own sounds like some kind of weird B-character in Harry Potter or Game of Thrones or something. I'm really hoping once the details of the second show are hammered out, AEW adds a secondary title and makes him the first champion. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, AxB said:

The Chavo Classic.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

19 minutes ago, Infinit said:

That's what Norm DaCosta, the wrestling writer for the Toronto Star back in the day, called Jyushin for years lol 

I misread his name the first time I read about him so I called him JUSTIN Liger for months. ?

• Like 1