DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

How do other online distribution channels handle cancelled performers? If you wanted to stream a bunch of R Kelly or Gary Glitter songs, would Spotify, iTunes or Tidal be happy for you to listen to paedo music? Could you watch Aaron Hernandez' NFL highlights on any official NFL archives? Or O J Simpson's?

Or Don Drummond (Skatelites) and Sid Vicious (Sex Pistols) who both killed their girlfriends.

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

How do other online distribution channels handle cancelled performers? If you wanted to stream a bunch of R Kelly or Gary Glitter (or Lostprophets) songs, would Spotify, iTunes or Tidal be happy for you to listen to paedo music? Could you watch Aaron Hernandez' NFL highlights on any official NFL archives? Or O J Simpson's?

It's usually a case by case basis. There was enough pushback whenever Surviving R Kelly came out and other stuff where R Kelly's stuff was taken off various sources where you would hear it. 

OJ largely has been written out of NFL history, but he's discussed here and there. When that one guy on the Bills practice squad wanted to wear OJ's number, that was a story for a second. Of course, when the 30 for 30 came out, there was plenty of discussion. Other than that I don't recall his highlights being shown or whenever records or on screen graphics regarding any type of records are shown, OJ is never on any type of list. Of course, NFL can hire endless amount of people to make sure it doesn't happen.

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

OJ was just included on the Greatest Players of All Time list the NFL did

Anytime you release a random list or listamania, you can absorb some of the damage because most people are going to talk about glaring omissions. 

When Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth have to talk about rushing yards in like a three game stretch or something like that, that graphic is not going to feature OJ's name or they won't linger on it for any amount of time on the small chance it does show up.

I’m not disagreeing with your point just pointing out that funnily enough he was just on a list

And honestly in this case - it probably would have drawn more attention if he wasn’t included 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AxB said:

How do other online distribution channels handle cancelled performers? If you wanted to stream a bunch of R Kelly or Gary Glitter (or Lostprophets) songs, would Spotify, iTunes or Tidal be happy for you to listen to paedo music? Could you watch Aaron Hernandez' NFL highlights on any official NFL archives? Or O J Simpson's?

I can confirm that Rock 'n' Roll Part 1 & Part 2 are certainly on Spotify. Part 2 was actually on in a bar in Budapest a few weeks ago, probably from a streaming service.

Sadly, the proto-mashup version 'Doctorin' The Tardis' by The Timelords (aka The KLF) is not on Spotify.

Edited by ComingToAmerica

Is there not an NFL archive, or do they not replay NFL games? Even Superbowls? They replay old Superbowl highlights on Sky Sports sometimes. But I need to see what happens if they do highlights of XLVI, because Aaron Hernandez scores a touchdown. Can't really not show that but, it's a critical part of the game, but he's a convicted murderer.

25 minutes ago, AxB said:

Is there not an NFL archive, or do they not replay NFL games? Even Superbowls? They replay old Superbowl highlights on Sky Sports sometimes. But I need to see what happens if they do highlights of XLVI, because Aaron Hernandez scores a touchdown. Can't really not show that but, it's a critical part of the game, but he's a convicted murderer.

They replay old games all the time on the ESPN channels all the time (and obviously the NFL Network), but usually not main ESPN unless it's probably 4 am at night. But the thing is, I doubt people in droves are watching those old games. The replays of games (NBA, MLB, and NFL) that happened that night or that week are probably a hell of a score for those folks who don't have a DVR system though.

I'm guessing they are extremely careful of showing Pats games with Aaron Hernandez. I don't know if they show games on the SEC channels when he was at the University of Florida. I imagine they are not going out of their way to show the 2009 BCS National Championship game.

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

Or Don Drummond (Skatelites) and Sid Vicious (Sex Pistols) who both killed their girlfriends.

The Pistols have an out though; They only recorded one studio album and Sid Vicious wasn't in the band when they did it. Glen Matlock wasn't fired yet. And if you're listening to live bootlegs from when Sid was in the band, he's famously hidden low in the mix, if he's even plugged in at all.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

BREAKING NEWS:

You are an adult. You can choose to not watch something if it offends you. 

You mean like when even WWE contracted talent Baron Corbin chose to watch AEW instead of NXT?

When the Sex Pistols did the 1997 reunion tour, they'd retired the song Belsen was a Gas, for obvious reasons. And the objectionable lyric in the song New York had been changed to "You poor little maggot" which is a lot less offensive than the original version.

So this Lio Rush guy, has he been given a series of "Annoying person" gimmicks, or he just a naturally annoying guy and they're making metaphorical lemonade?

Everyone's assuming he's talking about Young Bucks vs Best Friends vs Santana & Ortiz vs Omega & Page. But like half an hour after he tweeted it, NXT had a 'Winner Gets a Title Shot Championship Opportunity' match between Lio Rush, Tyler Breeze and this Isiah Swerve bloke that played out the same way.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And per leaked advertising - a match for the next Saudi show is Fiend vs Kane (and thus explaining why Kane is on Smackdown)

so Fiend beats up on Daniel and Kane makes the save for his former partner and gets the title match.  Makes a bit of sense since DB likely won't be going to Saudi Arabia anytime soon 

5 hours ago, AxB said:
Everyone's assuming he's talking about Young Bucks vs Best Friends vs Santana & Ortiz vs Omega & Page. But like half an hour after he tweeted it, NXT had a 'Winner Gets a Title Shot Championship Opportunity' match between Lio Rush, Tyler Breeze and this Isiah Swerve bloke that played out the same way.

I had that same thought. When I first saw the uproar the morning after I had in the back of my head, "are we sure this wasnt a jab at the NXT 3way?"

Which really does tell you the relevance gap between AEW and NXT right now among the more hardcore/active fans in the online community. I am enjoying both shows and more often than not the only comment I have at the end of the night was "that was a damn fine night of televised wrestling" but the plot twist of NXT being the more purely in-ring based product, centered around championships and tournaments, is one that I dont think anyone was expecting, but at the end of the day that presentation does seem to have a ceiling when there isnt integration with the Raw and Smackdown rosters.

I personally think that NXT Cruiserweight 3-way was incredible. It was a go-go-go spotfest, but it never stopped moving and everything they were going for hit perfectly, and the finish was well-timed and well-plotted.

I have no doubt if that exact match happened in AEW that it would have been an incredibly polarizing match, with supporters of it ready to declare it an early MOTYC, and detractors decrying it as "dance wrestling" and saying it's the shit that is killing our business (nevermind the "business" as those folks know it has been dead for twenty five years now). 

But because it happened on NXT, it's just a match that happened. 

• Like 1

NXT right, they have a tag team tournament called the Dusty Rhodes Classic. They have a Women's tournament called the Mae Young Classic. And they have a Cruiserweight Tournament, called... the Cruiserweight Classic. What, they couldn't think of any legendary Light Heavyweights or Super Juniors to name it after? Tiger Mask? Dynamite Kid? Taka Michinoku? Brian Christopher*? Hopefully if it happens in 2020 it can be the Jushin Liger Classic.

* Speaking of whom, when they were doing the Memphis Legends deal on AEW Dark, obviously Jerry Lawler couldn't be seen on camera at the show. But was he actually in the building? Because it's sort of a shame if he wasn't. I mean, I don't like the guy on commentary (and never have), but when Justin Roberts was running down the careers and legacies of the legends there, he brought up Lawler as everyone's greatest feud. Whilst there are wrestlers who are Memphis legends, he's the guy who is The Memphis Legend. If he wasn't in attendance, it's kind of like not being invited to your own Birthday party.

• Like 1