DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I always wondered what the story behind Roos was. Even as a kid/pre-teen my friends and I wondered WTF Roos were. It seemed like they were a step below LA Gear and British Knights at the time, but having pockets in your shoes was kinda neat.

That's right y'all. I just referenced Roos, LA Gear, and British Knights all in one post to take you all on a trip down shitty shoe memory lane when your parents wouldn't pay for Nikes, Filas, Reeboks, or Adidas.

You missed Spauldings for the Bingo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Haha, are you serious?

Speaking of, am I alone in thinking the Killer Bees looked pretty cool in their Nike hightops? It was unique for the time and was probably a lot more comfortable than boots.

QP9-Wqh-TR-400x400.jpg

It's a great way to roll your ankle.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What's the story behind that match/who is the Snowman exactly?

And I think Miz/Punk would make a poor imitation btw

IIRC, the Snowman Memphis run started with him making comments in the Memphis media accusing the promotion of racism, so they got him aboard for a worked shoot based off of that. Then he won the title and bolted the promotion.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That would have been 10th grade for me. 1996-97

Middle School for me, probably 7th and 8th grade. I pretty much solely wore Airwalks or Vans from then through high school. I had a pair of combat boots too from the army surplus store, but they were the most uncomfortable things ever.

6 hours ago, AxB said:

Don't most kickpads wrestlers wear regular sneakers underneath?

Wrestling shoes are fairly common. I'm sure some wear regular sneakers and actual boots, it depends on the wrestler and how much money they spend. I'd wear wooden clogs.

Nobody ever wrestled in flip flops, did they? I know that's how Necro Butcher's barefoot gimmick started (he used to wear flip flops all the time, and just put on his wrestling boots for matches. Then he was doing an 'Impromptu match nobody knew about ahead of time' angle and he thought he couldn't put his boots on or it would expose the business, so he went out barefoot and randomly got a load of heel heat for it).

That belt looks enormous.

Speaking of wrestlers in flip-flops, the obvious one is Matt Riddle, but I gotta believe it's probably next to impossible to actually wrestle in flip flops.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

56 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Cabana Man Dan wore flip flops, but I don't think he wrestled/wrestles(?) in them.

ENKzeVCX0AAW1wE.jpg

He wrestled for Chikara a couple times and at least once,  the heel (I think chuck taylor) wailed on him with the flip flops. 

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

What a shame.

They ignore the battles that man had in the '80s fighting the forces of COBRA for us.

If it wasn't for Sgt. Slaughter and those brave GI Joes, you'd all be...well, Cobra spoke English too, but you'd probably all be going "I wasssss a maaaaaannnnnn..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

Somehow, someway I went to hang out with my cousins to play some street hockey. Where my parents drove me to was a good 20 minutes away and I forgot my rollerblades. All I had were my flip flops.

All I remember was I busted one flip flop, played barefoot from there, and then had my toes run over. I kept playing though because it's only toes.

Man, it was awesome to be really young and feel invulnerable. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zartan said:

First time I have ever seen Killer Bee’s and cool in the same sentence. Had they come along later I think they would have been remembered as the Red Rooster of tag teams. 

Man, I disagree with that one.  I thought for 80's WWF standards, the Bees had one of the best gimmicks going:  the good guy team giving heels a dose of their own medicine by putting on masks and blatantly cheating to win.  And the fans LOVED it.  This was 85-87.  They were Rooster level in 88.

• Like 4

I can't blame Slaughter if he is sticking to character after all these years. I mean that's how he was trained. You got your gimmick and you lived it. I honestly can believe at some point he believed he really was Sgt. Slaughter. Having nightmares about battles with Cobra, training Pvt. Gagne.

1 minute ago, Phantom Lord said:

I can't blame Slaughter if he is sticking to character after all these years. I mean that's how he was trained. You got your gimmick and you lived it. I honestly can believe at some point he believed he really was Sgt. Slaughter. Having nightmares about battles with Cobra, training Pvt. Gagne.

I wonder what he thinks about Private Nelson becoming a Russian sympathizer. 

• Haha 1