DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Ricky Morton?  Maybe 1991 era Flyin Brian?  Go back and listen to Jim Ross call some of the early 91 Pillman matches and how he talks about his courage and underdog status. Makes it near impossible to not root for him. 

Agreed. Hell, if he gets fired up enough, you can hear some of that shine through even today when he's calling matches for Jungle Boy or Darby Allin

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Ric Flair is up there. Bret Hart and Daniel Bryan as well.

I'm going Bret over Flair, I'd have to think about Bryan a little more. Flair was great at it, don't get me wrong, but Bret never did shit like the beg off into the nut shot. 

• Like 3

Ric was built as a touring wrestler and not a television worker so the formula is different.  If I needed to fill 45 minutes to a hour on a regional show in order to make my babyface look like hot shit who had the champ on the ropes and was this close to taking the strap?  Flair's your dude. Flair's reliance on that same formula would hurt him on week to week television as he would treat everyone as they were on the same level and did the same bumping spots regardless of the opponent. You can't get everyone over that way. Bret was better at giving guys differing levels of support in that regard as he would give 1-2-3 Kid this much and PCO this much and maybe he'd blow out a dude or two to make sure it meant something.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

WOW. Gotta know the story behind that ?

Googled. Apparently it was a little spat with Miz. I'm sure Punk won't be gone, since he made the point to delete it. 

Maybe Punk looked at the people he has worked for recently and realized that maybe that tweet was not thought out well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I'd think you probably had heels back in the territory days that were adept at riling up crowds when they were more likely inclined to get involved, vocally or physically. 

Yes, guys like Sputnik Monroe and Boris Malenko could make a sleeping crowd come to life, spitting with hatred. Harder to think of a vintage babyface with the ability to raise the dead.  In my neck of the woods, young fiery Jack Brisco and 1975-vintage Dusty come to mind.

45 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Agreed. Hell, if he gets fired up enough, you can hear some of that shine through even today when he's calling matches for Jungle Boy or Darby Allin

I'm going Bret over Flair, I'd have to think about Bryan a little more. Flair was great at it, don't get me wrong, but Bret never did shit like the beg off into the nut shot. 

I'm definitely going Bret over Flair as well.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AxB said:

You want a good wrestling twitter thread, I've got you a good wrestling twitter thread right here:

I laughed way too much at the story about the promoter who said to the workers "You guys have to hurry up and tear down the ring.  I was bitten by a  bat and might have rabies, so I gotta go the to the ER."

The promoter who wanted to pay the wrestler in action figures because attendance was a little too on the nose (the wrestler wanted paid so he'd have enough gas money to make it to the next town).

16 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This is real low hanging fruit but you kinda *have* to go along with Hacksaw's (or anyone's for that matter) USA chant

Duggan was so far and above better at getting the crowd going than the average patriotic baby face it's barely comparable. We can all say its 'easy' but soooo many people couldn't get it over at all much less to the level Hacksaw did. Duggan was great at picking up crowds and getting them going, even if he had no angle or feud going on. Great piece of the wrestling puzzle if you were a promoter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, AxB said:

You want a good wrestling twitter thread, I've got you a good wrestling twitter thread right here:

Wrestling Twitter can be a pretty toxic and awful place but this page is the only one that I actually bookmarked.  Tons of great stories and I can see going back to this often for giggles.  Thanks for posting.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Log said:

Fuckin' poser.

As much crap as I talked about the guy from 2002-2005, I'll hand it to HHH here: I've seen him on the side of the stage 4 out of 5 times I've seen Metallica. 

Actually, I think as a band they're probably a great parallel for what he says in the article about NXT becoming the "third brand": how do you become that big, but still try maintain that rebelliousness?

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

As much crap as I talked about the guy from 2002-2005, I'll hand it to HHH here: I've seen him on the side of the stage 4 out of 5 times I've seen Metallica. 

Actually, I think as a band they're probably a great parallel for what he says in the article about NXT becoming the "third brand": how do you become that big, but still try maintain that rebelliousness?

Metallica?  Rebelliousness?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That's kinda my point exactly. No one wants NXT on USA to cut their hair and start writing radio songs. We want NXT to keep the acne, leather, and binge drinking.

Alice in Chains bassist Mike Inez got it right during AIC's 1996 MTV Unplugged regarding Metallica, "Friends don't let friends get haircuts.".

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Alice in Chains bassist Mike Inez got it right during AIC's 1996 MTV Unplugged regarding Metallica, "Friends don't let friends get haircuts.".

It was Friends don't let friends get "Friends" haircuts which is somehow even worse. Though admittedly if David Schwimmer started rocking the modern day Lars skullet, I'd probably like that guy way more

• Haha 3

That Twitter thread is fully working now for me instead of sitting there loading. Joey Ryan says one was "Think you can go 20?" and Sheik responded "That's like 5 lollipops" ?

EDIT: Hey, somebody wrote that thread has created content the likes of which haven't been seen since the Death Valley Driver Review Message Board! Which one of you wrote that? 

Edited by Curt McGirt

17 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That's kinda my point exactly. No one wants NXT on USA to cut their hair and start writing radio songs. We want NXT to keep the acne, leather, and binge drinking.

For the record, I'm not one to be commenting on how "metal" something is.  I am a wussy, twee indie-rock boy.  Hell, I'm wearing a shawl-neck cardigan as I type this.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

That Twitter thread is fully working now for me instead of sitting there loading. Joey Ryan says one was "Think you can go 20?" and Sheik responded "That's like 5 lollipops" ?

What if it's a Tootsie Pop?

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Then it never comes out of your pubes? 

I always bite those fuckers, they last too long

Too long? Dude it only takes 3 licks to get to the center. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2