DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

4 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

Reigns is a good shout. Jeff Hardy just wore clothes so I'd discount him, whereas Edge and Christian didn't exactly have a 'team' outfit so I'd discount them too

According to Bruce Prichard, if Michael Hayes would've gotten his way, they'd have had dusters with forks and spoons all over them.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Gentle reminder that there are a whole world of other threads/forums around here and it would be swell if - as best as possible - things get posted in their proper spot.

I just moved the last 4 posts in this thread because they all had very specific homes (that aren't here)

Especially with some of the subject matter - I would rather be able to keep my eye on one thread than 8 

You missed one of the Rory Gulak posts and now him being an alleged paedophile is being discussed both here and in the Indie 2020 thread.

On 1/5/2020 at 11:14 AM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I was thinking that last night because I had the 92 Rumble on when I went to bed. If Flair/Hogan drew in Oakland (or whatever the truth is) things look a lot different 

If Sid hadn't came in around the time Flair did, it wouldve had a better chance of happening. Vince say Sid as the next Hogan. Sid had to basically beg to be a heel. He promised both of them a Mania main event when they signed I believe. I'd think Vince was intending on Hulk vs Flair as much as people want to believe. Maybe if they did draw exceedingly.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2020 at 12:48 AM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Gaylord Peacock is now my favorite wrestler that I have never seen.

- RAF (not that there's anything wrong with that)

That's "Gaylord Peacock (Colourful extrovert)". Use the full name!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Rick Martel as "The Model" and feuding with Jake Roberts is a bigger win than being an intercontinental champion in 2020.

I'm too young to have seen that live, though I've seen it on tape and I co sign. A related low key what if for me is if Martel doesn't get hurt in '98 during the WCW comeback. Thought he had the best Booker singles matches to that point (this was pre best of 7 IIRC) and really would've liked to see him get a US title run or something. Or at least hang on long enough to have some random matches with top guys on Thunder or something.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm too young to have seen that live, though I've seen it on tape and I co sign. 

That TV title scene in WCW was awesome at the time but to travel back to the early 90's for a second.  I used to think it was just the nostalgia talking but it wasn't. The stories really are told much better,  more fleshed out and people were invested in them.   A Rick Martel vs. Jake Roberts feud was everything back then because we knew the characters, we knew the story,  it was told simple and effective and over the span of a number of weeks to months without much physical contact between the performers. 

I've never bought the excuse that in 2020 we have all these hours of programming to fill so of course things will get stale.  No, they have over a hundred contracted talents,  they don't have to run rematches at all. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm too young to have seen that live, though I've seen it on tape and I co sign. A related low key what if for me is if Martel doesn't get hurt in '98 during the WCW comeback. Thought he had the best Booker singles matches to that point (this was pre best of 7 IIRC) and really would've liked to see him get a US title run or something. Or at least hang on long enough to have some random matches with top guys on Thunder or something.

Martel's WCW comeback was amazing. I loved seeing him out there. Wasnt he TV Champ for a spell? A damn shame his injury happened 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That TV title scene in WCW was awesome at the time but to travel back to the early 90's for a second.  I used to think it was just the nostalgia talking but it wasn't. The stories really are told much better,  more fleshed out and people were invested in them.   A Rick Martel vs. Jake Roberts feud was everything back then because we knew the characters, we knew the story,  it was told simple and effective and over the span of a number of weeks to months without much physical contact between the performers. 

I've never bought the excuse that in 2020 we have all these hours of programming to fill so of course things will get stale.  No, they have over a hundred contracted talents,  they don't have to run rematches at all. 

I'm not sure that's true, though.  Those 90s WWF shows were squash match after squash match, with a main event of a name versus a semi-name.  So the audience got to know the wrestlers because they just steamrolled no-name guys and audiences were okay with it.  The 90s Monday Night Wars forced the feds to dump the squash matches and up the content to actual name vs name matches.  With the addition of social media and the increased sense of ownerships fans have over the product, I don't think you can put the lid back on that.  You definitely can't go back to the squash matches because if you look at the pre-taped Raw from Christmas, people were pretty disappointed with the lineup (At least two people in the DVDVR thread alone complained about the amount of squash matches). 

Say, you've got Seth-Owens coming up,  in the three weeks or whatever preceding, you've got, say, Owens-Young, Rollins-Ryder, Owens-Benjamin, Rollins-Hawkins, Owens-Mojo, Rollins-Titus (These are basically the only non-injured Raw guys with no push or storyline who wouldn't be any worse off with taking a loss except R-Truth and No Way Jose) with limited to no interaction between Rollins and Owens. Two things are likely to happen: viewers tune out because nothing is happening and it's the same thing week after week; or someone like Benjamin has a really great match with Owens and everyone starts wondering online about why he's not in the match, and the Owens-Rollins is a letdown because it's not as good as the random TV match.

Personally, I think what WWE does really well, but doesn't do often enough, is put lots guys in multi-man matches.  So you fold several feuds into one big match, and you can still keep the PPV opponents mostly apart.  So, something like AJ, Club, Rollins and AOP against Orton, Vikings, Owens, Mysterio and Joe.  Build it up big,on social media ahead of time, hype it through the nigh, do full entrances for everyone, and let it run for 40-60 minutes, keeping PPV opponents mostly apart, so you can run, say, AJ-Mysterio, Orton-Rollins, Gallows-Joe for lengthy periods while keeping the PPV match-ups relatively fresh, maybe tease quick spots where AJ blind-sides Orton then tags out to keep from getting his comeuppance, and the heels cheat to win.  The WWE agents are really good at producing these matches, they usually get lots of heat, but they only do them every 4-5 months or so.  It baffles me.  It's also an easy way to work in guys who are aimless or feud-less at the moment (Cedric, MacIntyre) by having them in the match to keep them wrestling, even if they aren't involved in a feud.  With the sheer amount of wrestlers, you could do this easy but they seem to be afraid of it.

• Like 3

You can't worry about what a few people online are going to say.  You can't make everyone happy, especially the wrestling community.  Your job as a writer is to take the audience on a journey and allow the story to unfold the way you wanted to tell it.  

It's not about having Owens vs. a different opponent each week.  That's not the way I would do it.  I don't think in a theoretical Rollins/Owens main event story you need to be having both men compete on every RAW leading up to the PPV.  

You do a backstage segment or a vignette or a promo and keep it at that.  Nobody on the roster needs to wrestle every week.  Appear? Sure.. I have no problem with them appearing in some capacity.  If it's important to get them out in front of the live crowd then put them in a dark match.  

A few weeks ago, RAW was full of squash matches using some JTTS guys (Ryder, Tozawa, etc) with a "big" match at the top of each hour, and I personally loved it. It seemed like the live crowd was more in to the show beginning to end, as well, as the squash matches were kept sub 5 minutes and still entertaining enough to keep interest, and they were more in to the longer "main event" matches as well. I was hopeful they'd go to that as a regular format, but.....not so much.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Matt D said:

One thing they did really well in 2013-4 was use long six-man tags that leaned heavily on southern tag tropes to fill TV time. 

That was really the last time I cared about WWE, even though I didn't quit watching the TVs until last year. That whole time was an awesome payoff after coming back to watching it in 2011 with the Punk stuff.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Words
  • Like 1

seems like they stuck to the format last night, opened with the big monologue, had a main event type match, jtts, jtts, back stage segment, tag title match, jtts, jtts, end with a main event.  

With the Lana/Lashley stuff thrown in the middle.  It's not a bad style of booking and when you really think about it you get more actual wrestling this way.. People used to complain about a 3 hr show filled with recaps and monologues.  Now you get a lot more in ring wrestling and people will still complain.  

The thing is, after 2001 the WWE owned the wrestling landscape so hard they could have formed it into anything they wanted, but the shows are still very similar today.

With the normal caveat that they've done well. It's always difficult to judge where any monopoly business could or would be.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 9:55 PM, Execproducer said:

That isn't untrue but that was already a sinking ship and Sgt. Slaughter or Ronnie Garvin or Curt Henning weren't going to save it. He did have shots at Bock during the High Flyers era....like just about every single other face in the company....and it wasn't uncommon for either to have singles matches.

I wanted to bump this because the demise of the AWA is such an interesting topic because of how good it was DURING its demise. Everything around Hennig after him and Hall broke up was great stuff, and the Rockers/Rose and Somers feud is one of the best tag rivalries ever, possibly the best non long term tag feud on US soil. And that’s not going into all the stuff from Blackwell post Hogan. And all of this was while the fed was in terminal decline. I’m just not sure how many other feds were putting up wrestling that good at the top of the card while still completely falling apart beneath it.

• Like 2

ECW moved Jerry Lynn into the main event world title scene when they were in the death spiral. A lot of death spiral ECW was bad, but the talented guys they still had weren't inclined to half ass it. Even though Paul E wasn't paying them. Death spiral WCW was Scott Steiner's title run... I liked it, but YMMV.

Today, wrestling twitter is upset with... Road Warrior Animal. He decided to let everyone know he was opposed to marriage equality. Everyone thought he was just a racist (and islamophobe) but apparently he's homophobic too. If he just speaks out against women, trans people, Jews and people with disabilities he'll have the bigotry grand slam.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Today, wrestling twitter is upset with... Road Warrior Animal. He decided to let everyone know he was opposed to marriage equality. Everyone thought he was just a racist (and islamophobe) but apparently he's homophobic too. If he just speaks out against women, trans people, Jews and people with disabilities he'll have the bigotry grand slam.

UUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHWHAAAT AN ASSHOLE!

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 3