DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

So random question time: I’ve been thinking about who was the best of the “other guys” of the best tag teams from the 80’s. As in, when you think of of most 80’s Tag teams one guy tends to be the guy you think of as “the good one” Morton, Eaton, Rogers, Kiern (at least I rate him at that time above Lane in the Fabs, but that could be a controversial opinion?), Michaels, and what not. So now I’m just curious how people rate the other guys in those tag teams in comparison with each other. So... how would you rate em?

Robert Gibson

Dennis Condrey

Bobby Fulton

Stan Lane

Marty Jannetty

Also, any other “other guys”, especially in the 80’s would be on the table.

Would Arn Anderson have ever been considered the other guy? With Ole, with Tully, with Eaton in the Dangerous Alliance? Because if so, he's the best other guy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Would Arn Anderson have ever been considered the other guy? With Ole, with Tully, with Eaton in the Dangerous Alliance? Because if so, he's the best other guy.

He was arguably the “other guy” with Jerry Stubbs, since Mr Olympia was the veteran. 

40 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

So random question time: I’ve been thinking about who was the best of the “other guys” of the best tag teams from the 80’s. As in, when you think of of most 80’s Tag teams one guy tends to be the guy you think of as “the good one” Morton, Eaton, Rogers, Kiern (at least I rate him at that time above Lane in the Fabs, but that could be a controversial opinion?), Michaels, and what not. So now I’m just curious how people rate the other guys in those tag teams in comparison with each other. So... how would you rate em?

Robert Gibson

Dennis Condrey

Bobby Fulton

Stan Lane

Marty Jannetty

Also, any other “other guys”, especially in the 80’s would be on the table.

Just to add to the list:

Animal

Neidhart

Axe

Thunderfoot #1

I think Anderson with Eaton and Tully was much more an equal then one guy being the traditional “other”. Hell, being honest, I think putting Condrey in there was a bit of a stretch along my part, because he clearly is a step ahead of the rest, even though when I think Midnights I mainly think Eaton. I also think Brunzell was clearly the better half of the High Flyers, even though I don’t dislike Gagne.

1 hour ago, nate said:

Just to add to the list:

Animal

Neidhart

Axe

Thunderfoot #1

You are just trolling Matt with Axe, admit it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Didn't the Road Warriors alternate title shots at Ric Flair on those mid-80s Great American Bash tours? Hawk was the guy that came off the top rope when executing the Doomsday Device, and he was massive and shredded in the same way that Nikita Koloff was. His interviews were certainly more nuts. That being said, I don't think anybody would every think of Animal as the other guy just because the Road Warriors were so distinct as a team. Stan Lane is clearly the other guy because he wasn't in the same league as a worker as Eaton, and he was also a replacement guy that shimmied and did comedically unathletic looking martial arts kicks.  

Really, the argument comes down to "who had the more successful singles career"/ "who would have had the more successful singles career"?

And I'll also add "Nightmare" Kenny Wayne.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Didn't the Road Warriors alternate title shots at Ric Flair on those mid-80s Great American Bash tours? Hawk was the guy that came off the top rope when executing the Doomsday Device, and he was massive and shredded in the same way that Nikita Koloff was. His interviews were certainly more nuts. That being said, I don't think anybody would every think of Animal as the other guy just because the Road Warriors were so distinct as a team. Stan Lane is clearly the other guy because he wasn't in the same league as a worker as Eaton, and he was also a replacement guy that shimmied and did comedically unathletic looking martial arts kicks.  

I dunno, man, I always thought Animal was way more limited than Hawk, in every way.  Less athletic, less skilled on the mic, prone to get gassed more often.  Maybe that's just me, *shrug emoji*.

• Like 3

Funny shit. I just looked up Hulk Hogan's match results in '89-'91 to see how many title defenses he might have had against the Powers of Pain after they split up, which was shockingly few. I only saw one defense against the Warlord in 1991. I guess I thought there was a little more variety in monsters of the week or month when doing the house show circuit. It was mainly Earthquake going on the big boot diet though during 1990 and 1991, as far as big behemoths go. 

But that's not the funny part. Based off of DQ and count-out losses to Mr. Perfect, Hogan probably had an overall losing record as WWF Champion during his second title reign in '89-'90. Okay, okay, I'm sure he still smacked Savage around enough to have a winning record but you get my point. I understand this was also standard operating procedure during Hogan's first reign to build up guys as worthy challengers. It's still a bit unexpected to find Hogan losing four or five consecutive matches via count-out or DQ to Perfect in house show matches before beating him cleanly a few times, and then starting the cycle all over again. They did this same loop or pattern of matches three or four times. I knew it happened, just not that frequently. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell

3 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I also think Brunzell was clearly the better half of the High Flyers, even though I don’t dislike Gagne.

I agree but there are a variety of reasons why someone is in "the other guy" spot regardless of whether they are less, equally, or more talented. Perception is reality and Gagne was clearly positioned as the #1 and team spokesman. I know the question was probably more narrowly defined as who was the consensus lesser worker of a team but "the other guy" is "the other guy".

One thing the AWA 80s set did was reclaim the notion of Gagne as an excellent tag worker (and work done around that time reclaimed the High Flyers as definite draws). I agree that Brunzell brought more to the table overall but I was probably higher than him on anyone out of that set. 

I refuse to even acknowledge that Ax bit.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Yesterday watching Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 1. I had my first "Why Benoit Why" Moment in my head during Ligers match. Maybe I closely associated them with each other in my mind than I should. When I first discovered puroresu, it was almost a decade after the '94 Super J Cup but I got to see all that and the Wild Pegasus matches and WCW matches the were both in Stampede too. I'm not a Benoit sympathizer, wouldn't knock you if you were but I just feel like he would have either been on the show or at the least tweeted out something very meaningful about Liger this weekend. I could be looking too deep into though 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

Yesterday watching Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 1. I had my first "Why Benoit Why" Moment in my head during Ligers match. Maybe I closely associated them with each other in my mind than I should. When I first discovered puroresu, it was almost a decade after the '94 Super J Cup but I got to see all that and the Wild Pegasus matches and WCW matches the were both in Stampede too. I'm not a Benoit sympathizer, wouldn't knock you if you were but I just feel like he would have either been on the show or at the least tweeted out something very meaningful about Liger this weekend. I could be looking too deep into though 

I thought about it, too. It made me sad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

One thing the AWA 80s set did was reclaim the notion of Gagne as an excellent tag worker (and work done around that time reclaimed the High Flyers as definite draws). I agree that Brunzell brought more to the table overall but I was probably higher than him on anyone out of that set. 

I refuse to even acknowledge that Ax bit.

I agree. Any time I've seen someone claim that Greg was just another son of a promoter getting an undeserved push, I've begged to differ.

6 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

I agree. Any time I've seen someone claim that Greg was just another son of a promoter getting an undeserved push, I've begged to differ.

At the end of the day, it's the difference between actually watching footage and just accepting conventional wisdom. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

At the end of the day, it's the difference between actually watching footage and just accepting conventional wisdom. 

Or, if you are lucky (and old), actually having been there.

Edited by Execproducer

That isn't untrue but that was already a sinking ship and Sgt. Slaughter or Ronnie Garvin or Curt Henning weren't going to save it. He did have shots at Bock during the High Flyers era....like just about every single other face in the company....and it wasn't uncommon for either to have singles matches.

10 minutes ago, Matt D said:

He was among the biggest victims of the change in the business from guys who were the size of normal athletes to guys gassed out of their minds. If he had started in the 70's or the 2000's he would've ended up a bigger star because his size wouldn't have been the detriment it was in the 80's.