DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Kind of shocked at this one. Would have guessed Liger vs. Regal happened for sure before I saw this.

It does seem like a match that would have been on a WCW Worldwide at some point. Also, I love the little capsule descriptions for everyone in that programme. "Gaylord Peacock (Colourful extrovert)"... never heard of him, but I feel like I know his gimmick to a tee instantly.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

It appears we finally have concrete proof that Daniel Bryan main eventing Wrestlemania 30 was never the plan. Punk shared the original Wrestlemania 30 card on his IG story and Bryan vs. Sheamus was penciled in to be on the show. The document was dated 6 days out from the Rumble which means, I'm sorry, Gregg, but you have finally lost *that* debate ?.

Around the Rumble it was clear Bryan main eventing wasn't the plan. The argument was more before then when they had the show focused on his feud with Orton and HHH. There was no other obvious match other than Bryan getting his revenge at WM. That seemingly died though when Vince and co. panicked about ppv buys with Bryan in the lead. HHH apparently lost a shouting match with Vince over pushing Bryan at the time.

I like how this almost appears that enough people looked straight past Regal's Liger post and replied "GAYLORD PEACOCK?!??!" that he had to address it.

Edited by nate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

If there is any era/location combination of wrestling shows that I wish I were able to personally attend on a regular basis, 1970s Portland would be first and 1970s UK/WoS would be second. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

If there is any era/location combination of wrestling shows that I wish I were able to personally attend on a regular basis, 1970s Portland would be first and 1970s UK/WoS would be second. 

As much of a family feel Portland had, the only reason why it'd be my first choice is that we only have the Saturday shows and not the Tuesday shows and all the best stuff happened on Tuesday. For sheer heat that would be amazing to experience, late 70s mid-atlantic has it beat it from the snippets we have.

UK/WoS is so hard to place because all we have is the TV show and that's not really a testament of what was happening around the country every week. I love what we have but who knows what we're missing?

@OctopusCinema

There's a Catweazle match. If you've never seen a single match of Catweazle, you'll be delighted. Diminishing returns, but first is terribly amusing.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Mankind was the first heel in wrestling I ever liked when he debuted in 1996. Mick Foley deservedly winning the WWF Championship was such a moment. Foley's one of my five favourite wrestlers so it was great meeting him in 2003.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Matt D said:

As much of a family feel Portland had, the only reason why it'd be my first choice is that we only have the Saturday shows and not the Tuesday shows and all the best stuff happened on Tuesday. For sheer heat that would be amazing to experience, late 70s mid-atlantic has it beat it from the snippets we have.

UK/WoS is so hard to place because all we have is the TV show and that's not really a testament of what was happening around the country every week. I love what we have but who knows what we're missing?

Where would you put Houston? 

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Where would you put Houston? 

The Houston crowd was great. It had that sort of a family feel too and you got bigger stars than Portland. It was more like St. Louis in that regard. There are different eras though, the Von Erich/Gary Hart booking era, the Southwest era, the Mid-South/UWF era. I think the stuff we don't have, going back into the early-mid 70s with a lot of Funk and Johnny Valentine and Wahoo and Bull Ramos and Lothario would have been really cool if that's an option, but if you're just pie-in-the-sky mid-70s stuff that we absolutely don't have, that feels a bit different than placing yourself in late 70s stuff we have a better sense of.

Calgary would be up there since the footage we have is so gutted and the Mongolian Stomper was awesome.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Matt D Admittedly, my reason for choosing '70s Portland as my top choice is personal rather than historical; my grandma would go to those shows, and she'd have a hard time finding someone in the family to go with her. By the time I was born, we bonded over WCW Saturday Night together, but man, I've heard my mom talk about how she'd only go to score some popcorn and a soda and wouldn't really pay attention to the matches and felt some real envy towards her. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

@Matt D Admittedly, my reason for choosing '70s Portland as my top choice is personal rather than historical; my grandma would go to those shows, and she'd have a hard time finding someone in the family to go with her. By the time I was born, we bonded over WCW Saturday Night together, but man, I've heard my mom talk about how she'd only go to score some popcorn and a soda and wouldn't really pay attention to the matches and felt some real envy towards her. 

I hope she's this lady:

• Like 3

If I could time travel to any promotion, I'd have to really resist the urge to just relive my youth as I'm sure a lot of us would. All things considered, I'd be at WCW Pro taping in 1997 watching like Savage vs La Parka, you all know me. But I'd like to think that I'd be smart enough to go somewhere we don't have much tape of. For example, I remember reading about Roy Shires SF territory for the first time in Billy Graham's book and thinking that would have been pretty interesting

Edit: I'm doing a list I decided

1) early 80s Memphis: Lawler, Idol, RNR all the usual suspects, of course the Andy Kaufman thing, plus I read that Bam Bam Bigelow worked there when he first broke in

2) San Francisco as mentioned because I loved reading stories about some of those guys like red Bastian 

3) ECW - I was allowed to watch even though I was way too young to, but no amount of begging could get my parents to bring me to the elks Lodge

4) AWA but I can't pick a year. I have a weird thing with AWA where I will sit through even the shittiest, most boring late-era matches just because I grew up with only the WWF for the first few years of my life and it's fascinating to get another somewhat quality TV presentation from that era besides WCW. I'd be the only guy at the team challenge series

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

I saw a lot of AWA in the early 80's but that was in Vegas. Don't get me wrong, the crowd was definitely into it but it was a much more transient population back then and that was the wrestling we could get. I think it was the first wrestling that actually stuck as we went to a few shows at the Silver Slipper that had California based wrestlers like Dean Ho and Jack Armstrong but they didn't happen regularly.  So I would love to have attended the same shows in Minnesota.

We went to some CWF shows in Jacksonville in the mid- 70's and prime Dusty Rhodes was something to behold but I really wanted to live in the Mid-Atlantic area because we got that on TV as well.

BUT, if I could time-travel I wouldn't pick any one territory, I'd just follow the Dory Funk Jr.- Jack Brisco show like they were The Grateful Dead.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish I was older and able to appreciate the first 5 years of my life when JCP was promoting in my home from 78-83. Just by what I've seen from the network and youtube etc it was a great time and area to be a wrestling fan. 

12 hours ago, Matt D said:

This made me quite giddy. I am a Catweazle mark, since he is mostly a Celtic Boogie Woogie Man Jimmy Valiant, hedge wizardry vs. street magick. Highlights include: the bridgework spot, the chyron "FUNNY MAN CATWEAZLE", the leg-spreader sequence, KASHMIR SINGH daddy!, GLPeacock being Adam Cole with more believable offense, young'uns paying dues, getting over with the grannies, and "natural blonde hair". Matt D's assessment of CW body of work is essentially correct, but this world could use more grabass and titty twister spots these days, alas...

so good,

RAF

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

Mankind was the first heel in wrestling I ever liked when he debuted in 1996. Mick Foley deservedly winning the WWF Championship was such a moment. Foley's one of my five favourite wrestlers so it was great meeting him in 2003.

Is it the best match ever? No. Is it mick's best match? No. But to a 19 year old punk college kid who looked up to and idolized mick foley since he attacked sting in wcw it was the most emotional match i had ever seen and one of my ultimate feel good moments in wrestling. And for all the shit i have given Michael Cole over the years, "hes been known as cactus jack, dude love and mankind. But tonight and forever mick foley will simply be known as wwf champion" was one of his best calls ever.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I don't think any other year in wrestling had so many misses on all time great moments or matches that could have been than 1992.

Still a very underrated year and a real changing of the guard one at that.

I was thinking that last night because I had the 92 Rumble on when I went to bed. If Flair/Hogan drew in Oakland (or whatever the truth is) things look a lot different 

The thing I'm most bummed about from that year is that we didn't get Rude/Simmons for the WCW Heavyweight Championship because of Rude's injury. 

• Like 1