DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2020 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

El Nieto De Ric Flair is gonna dominate the 2050s

The most fascinating thing about them hooking up is that he was ready to leave about a year ago. Well , at least that what was reported that he was unhappy and telling his friends they shouldn't sign with WWE. He seems so happy. I love it, he's one of the few guys that I enjoy watching on the main roster.I hope they be so quick to exploit their relationship you see how it hurt Rollins plus I still enjoy he and Zelina as an act.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

Congrats to Mick hanging in there when a lot of his shirts are HIDEOUS

I'm gonna guess that re-issue of the old classic Wanted shirt he did for Ashley Massaro's family helped a lot. That and Foley is awesome. 

• Like 2

You find a wife, aren't you supposed to be pretty damn happy? That'd probably make anybody change their position on things. It doesn't hurt that she happens to be wrestling royalty. He might as well have married a McMahon. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I don’t understand how the 24/7 horseshit was supposed to attract causal/lapsed fans who might have seen while get obliterated trying to forget the hellscape that was 2019

Looking at it briefly, I think the biggest hook it had was the novelty of a female ref.

1 minute ago, For Great Justice said:

My Andrade hot take is that he’s the best NXT champ ever, that run was cut off way too soon, and his match with Gargano was the apex of NXT main event style before it completely jumped the shark into self-parody.

Dude is great.

I'll go with this. I watched Almas vs. Gargano from NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia 2018 back a few days ago and it's still the best match in NXT history. I enjoyed Tommaso Ciampa's NXT Championship reign. I really wasn't a fan of the Gargano-Cole matches.

Edited by The Natural

18 hours ago, Matt D said:

Looking at it briefly, I think the biggest hook it had was the novelty of a female ref.

I dunno about that. NXT and AEW have female refs on the reg. I think it was more about grabbing the guys my age who grew up with the original Hardcore title. That, and probably bringing Bruce Prichard back, cause I know he was a big proponent of those remote segments back then

9 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Just heard BJ Whitmer and Kelly Klein are getting divorced.  Kelly had a wild and rocky 2019.  

The NWA Women’s Division needs more filling out than AEW’s anyway.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Just heard BJ Whitmer and Kelly Klein are getting divorced.  Kelly had a wild and rocky 2019.  

And on top of that Joey Mercury went even further off the deep end. He had his account suspended for posting pictures with BJ's and I assume other AEW exec's phone numbers listed. Addiction is a motherfucker. I feel for the dude. He shouldn't have left WWE.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Bigbosseli said:

Who is the wrestler of the decade?  Jericho or Bryan is my vote

I'd go for Daniel Bryan even though he missed a few years. Bryan rarely if ever has a bad match. The most popular wrestler of the decade. Team Hell No with Kane. I think to the classic match Bryan had with John Cena at SummerSlam 2013, overcoming the Authority at WrestleMania XXX. Bryan gets cleared to wrestle again reinventing himself as The New Daniel Bryan, the Planet's Champion. I note Daniel Bryan was the most popular wrestler and such is his talent, he was able to be booed during this time. Bryan has brought back the Yes Movement and resembles the American Dragon look of 2006 as ROH World Champion.

My three other considerations are Kazuchika Okada, Hiroshi Tanahashi and Tetsuya Naito. Watching Okada's journey from February 2012-2019 with Gedo giving him a massive push and he was proven right to. Tanahashi as the aging legend who can still go despite the injuries and Naito through trials/tribulations. Will Naito beat Okada on the third attempt at a Wrestle Kingdom this weekend?

Edited by The Natural

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

And on top of that Joey Mercury went even further off the deep end. He had his account suspended for posting pictures with BJ's and I assume other AEW exec's phone numbers listed. Addiction is a motherfucker. I feel for the dude. He shouldn't have left WWE.

I missed his recent post. What was he showing besides the numbers?  

6 hours ago, Bigbosseli said:

Who is the wrestler of the decade?  Jericho or Bryan is my vote

My gut instinct says AJ Styles off the top of my head.

• Like 3

I’d say it’s Okada, hands down. Sure, 2011 he was in TNA, but early 2012 he beats Tanahashi for the belt and has had multiple epic reigns with incredible title matches ever since, including the trilogy with Omega that broke Meltzer. Daniel Bryan is still my top guy and had the best moments of the decade but in terms of delivering consistently for those years Kazuchika Okada is king.

edit: And he won two G1s and two New Japan Cups.

Edited by Godfrey
  • Like 1