DVDVR Message Board

2020 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I got a length email from Alamo a couple of days ago about the steps they were taking (cleaning, etc...)

I am wondering if they are going to have to start selling only half their seats to space them out around the theater. At least, with Alamo you know they will just show older movies and cult classics

Funny you should mention that, I just checked to see what was playing at Alamo tonight, and nothing I want to see aside from maybe First Cow...* but the point is, there are now completely unselectable seats, with an explainer box saying they are deliberately sectioning off for their patrons' safety.  

--

* - For the record, I also want to go to see the Cats rowdy screening as they have drag queens in and it's supposed to be fantastic.  (And yes, I will consume alcohol and/or marijuana before and during.)

• Like 2

Disney, Universal and Warner Brothers have suspended production on almost all their upcoming movies (I am sure there is an exception or two)

The delays are ranging from 2 to 3 weeks... for now

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Disney, Universal and Warner Brothers have suspended production on almost all their upcoming movies (I am sure there is an exception or two)

The delays are ranging from 2 to 3 weeks... for now

How quickly things changed inside of 24 hours

As a follow-up, Alamo Drafthouse has shuttered both of it's NYC area locations until further notice and furloughed all it's employees.

I'm guessing they will not be the last to do so.

19 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

As a follow-up, Alamo Drafthouse has shuttered both of it's NYC area locations until further notice and furloughed all it's employees.

I'm guessing they will not be the last to do so.

What I found interesting is that they were only doing the forced gap seatings at the two NYC locations, LA and San Fran

So I would figure if they are forced to close more theaters - LA and San Fran are next

On 3/13/2020 at 7:52 PM, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

I can see this virus changing the way a lot of films are released permanently (more straight to streaming basically.)

Quoting myself, because I don't get things right much-

Universal Movies The Hunt, Invisible Man & Trolls Releasing On-Demand For $20

I expect other studios will follow suit over the coming months.

Yeah, that’s no good for Trolls 2. My daughter would want to watch it twice a day for the next three weeks. At least when it’s in a theater she understands that we can’t watch it at home yet. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I wonder if Marvel will follow suit since there's talk of Black Widow being delayed. I'm such a fanboy that I would pay $20 to watch it at home.

20 bucks isn't even the cost of two tickets so I'd probably burn the cash knowing that there'd be like five of us watching the movie and I'd want to support Marvel with my cash as best I could.

I think it'd be delayed though.  I'm not sure a PPV revenue model would bring in the rate of return that Disney expects that movie to do on a the usual blockbuster opening weekend.

On 3/13/2020 at 7:48 AM, J.T. said:

What he said.  New Mutants has already been Adjustment Bureau-ed.  This virus delay can't feel good even though it is the wisest thing for Disney to do to save revenue under the guise of being a socially responsible company.

Bottom line is that it's all about cash.

Has Disney spent any money on New Mutants? It was made under Fox.