DVDVR Message Board

2020 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

8 minutes ago, Raziel said:

This thread has taught me that I'm much higher on Moonrise than everyone else.

I thought it was good, but I guess its grading on a curve, when you are comparing it to Rushmore or Royal or Budapest. 

My only niggle about my original list is maybe not having mr. fox higher.

• Like 1

You know what is extremely weird? I remember when Rushmore came out (I was a teenager then and hyped for it), and then heard about Bottle Rocket. I was like "those movies have to be great, I have to see them". 

Yet, I've still never seen a single Wes Anderson movie. Not through my entire 20s, into my mid thirties. Not. One. 

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You know what is extremely weird? I remember when Rushmore came out (I was a teenager then and hyped for it), and then heard about Bottle Rocket. I was like "those movies have to be great, I have to see them". 

Yet, I've still never seen a single Wes Anderson movie. Not through my entire 20s, into my mid thirties. Not. One. 

What if I told you Bill Murray was a spooky magical killer in one of them? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm generally really into the same kind of films as people who love Wes Anderson. I'm fairly certain I would really like some of his movies. But the only one I've ever watched was Life Aquatic, and that was more due to it being "the movie that has a the next start time at the theater" than anything else.

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

I can't even figure out who I'm more disappointed in. Between the rankings and the confessions of not watching the movies there's....there's just a lot to process.

Wouldn't now be the time that you tell us how all-fired important and awesome certain films are so we can be inspired to watch em? ? I mean, I got Amazon Prime and even Netflix now, I can probably find these suckers.

• Like 1

For upcoming movie news

The Baz Luhrmann yet to be titled Elvis Biopic has added a bunch more folks

To recap

• Elvis - Austin Butler (Once Upon A Time In Hollywood)
  • Colonel Tom Parker - Tom Hanks
  • Glady Presley (Elvis' Mom) - Maggie Gyllenhaal
  • Vernon Presley (Elvis' Dad) - Rufus Sewell (Man in the High Castle, Judy)
  • Priscilla Presley - Olivia DeJonge (The Visit, The Society)
  • Sister Rosetta Thorpe - Yola

From my buddy Justin:

Best Wes Anderson (in descending order)

1. Rushmore

2. Grand Budapest Hotel

3. Isle of Dogs

Favorite Wes Anderson

The Life Aquatic

He specifically separated the two categories when I asked him what he liked. 

I'll probably start with Rushmore considering that's always been what I wanted to see anyway, but I'm open to suggestions from there. Tonight though, I rented The Lighthouse so that takes priority. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Rushmore is best. Life Aquatic worst. Rarely have I been more disappointed in a movie than Life Aquatic. Anderson always has flirted with not getting the proper recipe / combination of funny, absurd, and morose down right and Life Aquatic was so unfunny it was a complete chore to sit through. 

Tenenbaums, Mr. Fox, and Bottle Rocket I like quite a bit. 

8 hours ago, quackhell said:

If there isn't a scene where Ethan Hunt has to escape the coronavirus by running very fast then it is a huge missed opportunity.

Ethan needs to DIE from the Coronavirus and then be revived. These movies need more of Ethan dying, being revived, and then acting all kinds of fucked up because he's basically a reanimated zombie.

• Like 2

“We gave Tom the new pages about dying of coronavirus and he insisted on actually dying for real. He said the audience would be more invested that way. We tried to dissuade him, but he chartered a Sea Org ship to Wuhan within the hour. When he actually keeled over on set later on, he insisted that we keep rolling and that he’d be fine. We were all skeptical of course, but I’ll be damned if Xenu didn’t materialize and recharge him with super thetans or something the second the life left his eyes.  He was doing his pushups and ice bath prep for the next scene after lunch. Anyway, what was the question? Oh yeah, I’d work with Tom again in a heartbeat.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

17 hours ago, (BP) said:

Fuck all that. Just bring back Ellen Greene. This was only five years ago.

I was gonna say "Well, Ellen Greene is a *little* old for Egerton," but then I realized that she's singing this with Jake Gyllenhall and that invalidates my argument.

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

“We gave Tom the new pages about dying of coronavirus and he insisted on actually dying for real. He said the audience would be more invested that way. We tried to dissuade him, but he chartered a Sea Org ship to Wuhan within the hour. When he actually keeled over on set later on, he insisted that we keep rolling and that he’d be fine. We were all skeptical of course, but I’ll be damned if Xenu didn’t materialize and recharge him with super thetans or something the second the life left his eyes.  He was doing his pushups and ice bath prep for the next scene after lunch. Anyway, what was the question? Oh yeah, I’d work with Tom again in a heartbeat.”

That would be one hell of a stunt. I think Tom Cruise is a weirdo, but I do appreciate him trying to die for our entertainment.

• Like 1