DVDVR Message Board

2020 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

FUCK YEAH~!  I will get tix for me and my daughter and cement my legacy as best father that ever lived.

Thank God that Hamilton is coming out in October so that we don't have another throwaway #1 pick for the 2021 Summer Blockbuster Pool.

Edited by J.T.

28 minutes ago, Execproducer said:

It's going to be The Batman and if Hamilton out-performs it I'll eat my hat. 

Depending on who the villain is and how the reviews go, you might want to select a sauce that goes well with your hat.

I think it's a safe bet to say that Batman will probably own Fall BO until Love & Thunder.  There's a lot of pressure on Robert Pattinson to deliver.

28 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I cant see Hamiltom beating whichever superhero movie comes out that summer. 

The big superhero joints coming out in the summer of 2021 are Spidey 3 and Suicide Squad 2.  I'd match Hamilton against SS2, but probably not Spidey 3.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Depending on who the villain is and how the reviews go, you might want to select a sauce that goes well with your hat.

I think it's a safe bet to say that Batman will probably own Fall BO until Love & Thunder.  There's a lot of pressure on Robert Pattinson to deliver.

The big superhero joints coming out in the summer of 2021 are Spidey 3 and Suicide Squad 2.  I'd match Hamilton against SS2, but probably not Spidey 3.

Next years comic book film lineup is much more interesting to me in The Batman/Spider-Man 3/Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness/Thor: Love and Thunder than this year.

I love Hamilton and can't wait, but the highest grossing Broadway musical adaptation ever is Mama Mia, at a bit under $150 million.

Hamilton would have to triple that to even be in the discussion with the highest grossing films of the last several years.

Comparing Mama Mia to a cultural phenomenon like Hamilton is apples to oranges, but I cede that Hamilton will have to more money than any other Broadway adaptation ever has just to be in the conversation and that's a really big ask.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I guess it will depend likely on multiple viewings by its fans. 

That's what got Titanic huge box office numbers.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Didn't Greatest Showman makes loads more business than it was expected to, because the same people kept going back?

On the other hand, everyone who loved Cats: the Stage Musical couldn't be arsed to watch the movie in theatres.

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I love Hamilton and can't wait, but the highest grossing Broadway musical adaptation ever is Mama Mia, at a bit under $150 million.

Hamilton would have to triple that to even be in the discussion with the highest grossing films of the last several years.

The difference  being, this is going to cost maybe $1 or $2 million to film.   It's going to be just straight up profit after that.

Even if it grosses around $50m, it will easily be the most profitable movie of the year percentage-wise.  Plus those home video sales (just from schools teaching civics alone) are going to be through the damned roof. 

Here's "History Has Its Eyes On You"/"Battle of Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down)" from the Tony's a few years ago.   If you can watch this and then tell me it's not going to make a ton of bank... well, we're definitely going to agree to disagree:

• Like 1

The thing about Hamilton is that it's *already* filmed.  It was filmed live-capture at the Richard Rodgers Theatre before the Original Cast finished up and started leaving, so the filming is done.  It's just editing and waiting for certain theatre contracts to expire, which happens to be in 2021.  The release is pure profit, as it's not an adaption, it's a straight up "this is the actual show filmed and released into theatres".

• Like 1

Side note - I noticed that we have already reached the stage where actors in Cats are mocking themselves for being in Cats.

Like I saw both Rebel Wilson and James Corden making jokes about it this weekend.