DVDVR Message Board

2020 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Pieces of a Woman

Please note " deeply personal and powerful drama about a woman going through the pain and grief of losing a child during a home birth." I shut the trailer off after about 5 seconds.

Anyway - Vanessa Kirby, Ellen Burstyn and Shia LaBeouf

Directed by Kornél Mundruczó

EDIT - it is getting a brief theatrical release a week before hitting Netflix apparently to ensure it is eligible for the Oscars

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Dammit I would have probably liked a straight animation Tom & Jerry.  Why they went the Who Framed Roger Rabbit route I'll never know. 

Apparently it is the first in a series of similar movies that include Space Jam 2 (obviously), another Scooby Doo (that Christopher Columbus may or may not be directing) and Wile E Coyote vs. ACME

Since the Lebron led Space Jam has been rumored forever you most likely can trace it back to the success of Space Jam for wanting to continue going to this well.

On 11/18/2020 at 9:09 AM, Craig H said:

That movie looks fucking terrible. The animations look so disjointed and disconnected from the live action stuff. I suppose that could be an easy fix to apply lighting to anything animated, but as it stands now, it looks bad.

And even if you solve for how those animations don't look like they're existing around real things, you can't solve for the terrible acting.

Yeah, whatever. Is Chloe Moretz in that outfit the whole movie?

• Haha 1

Monster Hunter is moving up 5 days and will now come out on Christmas Day too.

I am not sure the "Well people will still come to the theater but not to see Wonder Woman" is the wisest strategy but at this point everyone is just throwing shit against the wall

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Monster Hunter is moving up 5 days and will now come out on Christmas Day too.

I am not sure the "Well people will still come to the theater but not to see Wonder Woman" is the wisest strategy but at this point everyone is just throwing shit against the wall

Good lord if any movie this year needed to go straight to VOD, it's that one.

Fatale - the Hilary Swank/Michael Ealy thriller - has moved UP its release date to now be Dec 18, 2020 (it wasn't scheduled to next year)

In the release announcing the move - there is a whole lotta CINEMASAFE AND AMC ARE THE GREATEST THING EVER~! so its clear they were given some extra money to try and have more new releases around the holidays

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I can see Chadwick Boseman joining Peter Fitch and Heath Ledger as posthumous winner of an acting Academy Award.

Chadwick was hella busy for a guy who was very, very ill.  Amazing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tabe said:

Chadwick was hella busy for a guy who was very, very ill.  Amazing.

Truly amazing for that, having to get into shape for his Black Panther outings and seeing sick kids with cancer as unbeknownst to us, he had. Such a sad loss. I cried a couple of times.

• Like 1

First glimpse of the upcoming Clifford the Big Red Dog movie.

if you grew up with the books, or read the books to your kids, those 20 seconds do not provide you with hope.

The description in the video also suggests a completely different origin story, with Emily Elizabeth a middle schooler with a single mom and wacky uncle. 

On 11/20/2020 at 3:41 PM, RIPPA said:

Dan Trachtenberg will be the director of the next Predator movie

It apparently will be a new story and not pick up from the end of The Predator

So this is, what, the 3rd rebooting of the Predator franchise in the past 10 years? Predators, The Predator and now this?

On 11/26/2020 at 4:53 AM, Eivion said:

I like Depp, but I feel that is an upgrade.

I can't imagine what has to be going through one's head to replace Farrell with Depp in the first place. I guess there's maybe still some hope that Depp can help open a movie, but that's just tipping your hand about how thin the soup is on this spinoff franchise. 

Full disclosure: Still haven't seen Crimes of Grindelwald. Feel free to enter that as anecdotal evidence for how well Depp can open a movie! 

• Haha 1

Depp was not good in that movie (and I agree that Mads is an unquestionable upgrade) but he's far from the biggest problem in Crimes of Grindelwald.

The whole movie is just a fucking mess. It's staggering that a movie that bad happened in a modern major tentpole franchise.

• Like 1