DVDVR Message Board

2020 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Monster Hunter

Since its the International Trailer I think that is why it just says "coming to theaters soon". (As opposed to them still claiming it will be in US theaters in Dec)

The Wicked adaptation that Universal insists is still happening just lost its director

Stephen Daldry - who has been attached to this fucking movie forever - finally bailed after the latest change in timeline caused him to have scheduling conflicts

I’m not much of a musical fan. So I ask you Broadway lovers, what makes Wicked a pain in the ass to adapt when The Producers, and Mama Mia! we’re able to make it to the big screen without much of an issue? Even Rock of Ages got a movie. Wizard of Oz musical is a slam fucking dunk.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

I really didn’t know shit about Cats outside of the poster. It wasn’t until Lindsay Ellis’s videos where I found out Cats doesn’t really have a protagonist, and it’s just a collection of random characters. I think the belief that it’s such a well known modern musical that they thought it was a guaranteed smash regardless of the realization that it probably wouldn’t connect with audiences after its release was an afterthought to the suits. The name Cats alone would’ve got them to buy tickets, and merch. That didn’t really happen.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

This Cinemablend article does a good job recapping the timeline

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2488098/whats-going-on-with-the-wicked-movie

In summary - it seems "longer" than it actually has been because Universal only started really thinking about doing it in 2012 but didn't officially announce it until 2016 and the big hold up points to Stephen Schwartz (who wrote the music and lyrics for the Broadway version) wanting to do new music for the movie and then never actually doing it.

I mean at this point Universal would have been much better off just filming a performance of the musical and releasing that

• Like 1

Universal having it should be money in the bank for them with being attached to a brand like that. I mean if they got it off sooner, they wouldn’t need to rely on Potter, and it’s short fused creator for new attractions at the 3rd(4th?) Orlando Universal Park.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

My wife and her best friend went out for drinks and the saw Cats and they had a great time. They also thought it was a piece of shit, but they found it to be hilarious. That's all I know about Cats.

And Dolfan may or may not have seen it high.

• Haha 1

So, we knew there were rumors that Borat gets Rudy, Graham, Trump, and others. That the Rudy stuff was confirmed gives me hope for the rest. Also...this...

Spoiler

Spoiled because potentially NSFW, but it confirms Rudy fondling himself in front of this underage girl.