DVDVR Message Board

2020 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 9/13/2020 at 11:01 PM, odessasteps said:

I had to look up who was playing whom in the movie .

(Sasha is playing Abbie Hoffman.)

I could have told you that just from the hair in the screen cap

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This could be very, very good if it focuses on one point of her life, but seeing as how she's writing and directing...  I am not holding out much hope.

You're saying prob not much about Shanghai Surprise?

On 9/14/2020 at 4:01 AM, odessasteps said:

I had to look up who was playing whom in the movie .

(Sasha is playing Abbie Hoffman.)

Seeing this out of context after yesterday, I was wondering why Sasha Banks was playing Abbie Hoffman.

• Like 4

The Croods: A New Age has moved up a month to Nov 25

At the moment it will be going up against the next Pixar movie, Soul.

However - there have been reports this week that Disney might go the Mulan route with Soul and release it on Disney+

A Rainy Day in New York

"Latest" Woody Allen - quotes because it was supposed to be out July 2019. Release date is now Oct 9. Was supposed to be an Amazon movie but that didn't happen because... well.. Woody Allen

Timothée Chalamet, Elle Fanning and Selena Gomez, Jude Law, Diego Luna and Liev Schreiber.

On 9/24/2020 at 10:51 AM, EVA said:

I feel like this is a pretty strong indication that MULAN didn’t do what it needed to do on D+ to make that type of release a viable option moving forward.

Per this article, it's believed "Mulan" has only made $60-90 million gross through D+.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/movies/the-failure-of-mulan-is-more-bad-news-for-hollywood/ar-BB19joP4

25 minutes ago, colonial said:

Per this article, it's believed "Mulan" has only made $60-90 million gross through D+.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/movies/the-failure-of-mulan-is-more-bad-news-for-hollywood/ar-BB19joP4

I have to wonder, tho, if it because of the VoD, or because it was a shitshow of a production that a lot of people were not planning to see anyway.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

I have to wonder, tho, if it because of the VoD, or because it was a shitshow of a production that a lot of people were not planning to see anyway.

Bit of both, I'd say.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I feel like making 60-90 million through streaming, charging 30 bucks on top of the sub fee isn't a failure. The article doesn't really give context as to why that's bad other than this doesn't clear the film's budget. But why would that even be an expectation when the movie was originally budgeted to be a wide theatrical release in a non-Covid pandemic? That's using an unrealistic metric of success in today's current situation. Additionally yahoo misreading the data and thinking it fross over 250million makes the smaller numbers look bad by comparison, but what else is doing these kinds of numbers?

60-90 million for a product that everyone knows that if they wait longer they'll get for the price of their subscription fee is fucking crazy. That's apparently a huge market of people who don't care to pay theater sized ticket prices to watch a movie on their TV that they never picture calibrated.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I feel like making 60-90 million through streaming, charging 30 bucks on top of the sub fee isn't a failure. The article doesn't really give context as to why that's bad other than this doesn't clear the film's budget. But why would that even be an expectation when the movie was originally budgeted to be a wide theatrical release in a non-Covid pandemic? That's using an unrealistic metric of success in today's current situation. Additionally yahoo misreading the data and thinking it fross over 250million makes the smaller numbers look bad by comparison, but what else is doing these kinds of numbers?

60-90 million for a product that everyone knows that if they wait longer they'll get for the price of their subscription fee is fucking crazy. That's apparently a huge market of people who don't care to pay theater sized ticket prices to watch a movie on their TV that they never picture calibrated.

This is the article we discussed a little in the Box Office thread

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/09/mulan-box-office-pandemic/616433/

From it

Stateside, one could argue that Disney made the right gamble. Tenet is playing in mostly empty theaters and has grossed $36 million domestically; even the lower end of the estimates cited by Yahoo would suggest that Mulan made twice as much online. Because Disney released the film exclusively on its own platform, it gets to keep all of that money, as opposed to having to split it with cinemas or with companies such as Apple and Amazon. Even so, the film needs to make far more than $90 million to cover its budget, so the overseas release was crucial. But Mulan stumbled—its grosses dropped a disastrous 72 percent in its second weekend in China.

So to somewhat answer your question

- Similar to what JL brought up - it is two issues getting conflated. The disaster that was its release in China is really the bad news but since it is lumped in with the money made via On Demand, it isn't the primary focus

- It is mainly due to the perspective that many have - inside and out of Hollywood - that anything less than being in the black is a failure

• Like 1

Per Deadline - Yara Shahidi (Grown-ish) has been cast as Tinker Bell in the live action version of Peter Pan

Jude Law will be Captain Hook.  Ever Anderson (Daughter of Milla Jovovich and Paul W.S. Anderson) is also cast in an unknown role.