DVDVR Message Board

2020 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't like CGI spectacles. I don't even like CGI, or film spectacles much.

At first I legit thought you meant actual glasses and I was like "How can you tell the glasses they were wearing were CGI?"

Took me a minute...

• Haha 2

The old movie is considered a classic by book readers and one of it's most famous lines Sting made up, so probably not.

In on that trailer though.

EDIT: This is also going to be easier to take in, as it's only covering the front half of the book and if it actually works, they're going to make another one.  

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 1

Lots of Zendaya in the trailer. Apparently she's barely in the movie at all (her character doesn't really show up until the second half of the book, and the movie is the first half of the first book, so there you go). But legions of teenagers who don't know what Dune is would absolutely support a Chalamet/ Zendaya romance movie.

It looks like it cost a trillion dollars. I think it will be a hit but with the way movie theaters are with the pandemic going on and VOD becoming more popular...   Warner Bros. might not make as much on this as they thought say 6 months ago.  

I hope it works at a standalone movie but from what I've read there is a lot more to this series than what's covered here. 

4 hours ago, Raziel said:

The old movie is considered a classic by book readers and one of it's most famous lines Sting made up, so probably not.

?

So anyway @Niners Fan in CTto make a long story short the Herbert books are long and winding. Alejandro Jodorowsky made an infamous book of a screenplay of his own that did the rounds in the '70s (and even had a doc made about it that you should watch). It never got made but was ripped off by everyone either involved with the film or not (Alien, Blade Runner, etc.). Then they gave it to David Lynch, he made an enormous bomb that he won't even talk about to this day, and the idea was buried until now. 

Go see the Lynch one sometime just for the cast and a couple laughs. It's something else.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

?

So anyway @Niners Fan in CTto make a long story short the Herbert books are long and winding. Alejandro Jodorowsky made an infamous book of a screenplay of his own that did the rounds in the '70s (and even had a doc made about it that you should watch). It never got made but was ripped off by everyone either involved with the film or not (Alien, Blade Runner, etc.). Then they gave it to David Lynch, he made an enormous bomb that he won't even talk about to this day, and the idea was buried until now. 

Go see the Lynch one sometime just for the cast and a couple laughs. It's something else.

If you can find it SciFi (back before the ridiculous name change) did a 4 or 5 episode mini series 20ish years ago that was pretty not bad. A few years later they then produced an honest to gods miracle by turning Dune Messiah and Children of Dune from the barely readable drek into a really good mini series.

The trailer is a bit confusing (we're missing at least one major character, and I had to go remind myself who was playing the Mentat and who Bautista was), and I'm not a huge fan of Chamlee's closed mouthed performance in some of the early scenes, but the drama and science fiction goodness is there, so I have high hopes.

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Also, that was quite a tasteful needle-drop of "Brain Damage" there. Even if you never want to hear anything from that album ever again. 

Did I miss another Pink Floyd song? All I heard was Eclipse.

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't like Timothee Chalamet, or at least doesn't get what's remotely good about him. I think he's just someone with a pretty face and good hair.

Isn't his fan base mostly teenage girls?

42 minutes ago, AxB said:

Isn't his fan base mostly teenage girls?

No, not really. I remember before I saw Lady Bird and critics were raving about his performance. And then I saw Lady Bird and I was like, that's it? Really? There was literally nothing remarkable about him.

Also, Lady Bird is awesome.

17 hours ago, Craig H said:

No, not really. I remember before I saw Lady Bird and critics were raving about his performance. And then I saw Lady Bird and I was like, that's it? Really? There was literally nothing remarkable about him.

It's the closed mouth muffled speaking that turns me off so much. Skinny twinks are a dime a dozen.

• Like 1