DVDVR Message Board

2020 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

37 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Why the fuck nobody learned the lesson of Ocean's 11 is beyond me. You don't remake great movies, you remake bad movies that had good ideas.

I'm just going to be 100 percent honest, and say I'm speaking from an absolutely biased perspective. Anything that keeps Kevin Hart from remaking Uptown Saturday Night w/ Ice Cube like they were talking about after one of the Ride Along movies is fine with me. I'd rather have Hollywood destroy white classics than black classics. I'm saying this as someone who likes Kevin Hart too. IMO You can control Hollywood in general or you can control the lion's share of untouched classic films. You can't have both.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Anything that keeps Kevin Hart from remaking Uptown Saturday Night w/ Ice Cube like they were talking about after one of the Ride Along movies is fine with me. 

So you’re saying Let’s Not Do It Again?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Why the fuck nobody learned the lesson of Ocean's 11 is beyond me. You don't remake great movies, you remake bad movies that had good ideas.

I'm not sure if you're defending the Frank Sinatra movie and calling the Clooney remake shit, or if you're defending the Clooney movie and putting down Ocean's 8.  ?

I liked the Clooney movie, never seen the Rat Pack version but it sounds like it was garbage and mostly improv, and Ocean's 8 was technically a sequel to the Clooney films.

Edited by Technico Support

Coastal Elites

Next movie directed by Jay Roach

Everything was shot in isolation during the pandemic

Bette Midler, Sarah Paulson, Kaitlyn Dever, Dan Levy, Issa Rae

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yes, don't remake the Michael Caine version of Get Carter. Remake the Stallone version.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I'm not sure if you're defending the Frank Sinatra movie and calling the Clooney remake shit, or if you're defending the Clooney movie and putting down Ocean's 8.  ?

I liked the Clooney movie, never seen the Rat Pack version but it sounds like it was garbage and mostly improv, and Ocean's 8 was technically a sequel to the Clooney films.

Neither? I'm saying the Sinatra movie was a great idea that made a bad movie, and the Clooney film is the perfect remake because it took the same ideas and made it work beautifully and made boatloads of money.

Blackbird

English remake of 2014 Danish movie Silent Heart

Directed: Roger Mitchell (Notting Hill, Morning Glory)

Starring: Susan Sarandon, Kate Winslet (who I legit didn't recognize), Sam Neill, Mia Wasikowska, Rainn Wilson

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Paging @jaedmc

hopefully that heist takes place in Chicago and one of the characters has a mixed race cousin that can hook them up with some floor plans or some shit.

• Like 5

Got an email from Cinemark today promoting The New Mutants and it's Aug. 28 premiere. As much as I love going to the movies, I'm going to wait a little bit before I try and rekindle that love affair.

21 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Neither? I'm saying the Sinatra movie was a great idea that made a bad movie, and the Clooney film is the perfect remake because it took the same ideas and made it work beautifully and made boatloads of money.

Besides the songs by Sammy and Dean the first hour of the original Ocean’s 11 is brutal, but once the heist starts its fun.

• Like 1

Death on the Nile

Directed by Kenneth Branagh who is also playing Hercule Poirot again

all-star cast of suspects, including: Tom Bateman, four-time Oscar nominee Annette Bening, Russell Brand, Ali Fazal, Dawn French, Gal Gadot, Armie Hammer, Rose Leslie, Emma Mackey, Sophie Okonedo, Jennifer Saunders and Letitia Wright.

EDIT - Scheduled for Oct 23 right now in the US

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Besides the songs by Sammy and Dean the first hour of the original Ocean’s 11 is brutal, but once the heist starts its fun.

It would be a lot better if the any member of the principle cast wasn't visibly hungover in at least half their scenes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

It would be a lot better if the any member of the principle cast wasn't visibly hungover in at least half their scenes.

True but that’s why those guys will always be 1,000 times more cool than George Clooney and Brad Pitt. 

• Like 1

“incredible cinematic experience”

"score for Christopher Nolan’s #Tenet has now increased to 81% with 21 reviews.

These two things don't really agree.  If it's just such an incredible experience why were the reviews so low that they could go UP to 81% in the first place?

On 8/13/2020 at 9:29 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME

Starring Tom Holland, Robert Pattinson, Bill Skarsgard, and Sebastian Stan

Directed by Antonio Campos

Netflix release on September 16th. 

Oh hell yes! One of the greatest books ever written! And from the trailer it looks like they nailed it!

Tenet is actually coming out at UK cinemas next weekend. I'm not at all enthused about seeing it (I strongly dislike what Chris Nolan has turned into), But I'm sorely tempted to go anyway, just because of all the people around the world who are desperate to see it and won't be able to.

@AxB for what it's worth, I got to see the ~10 minute prologue before the IMAX Last Jedi...  Yowsers it looked fucking amazing.  I was all in in December. 

Ofcourse.... Everything since then... but still, it looks great. I can't wait for the US release, even if it is VOD.

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

But I'm sorely tempted to go anyway, just because of all the people around the world who are desperate to see it and won't be able to.

I'm sure they will applaud you for your strength and tenderness if you get ill either at the hospital or at your gravesite. 

Sorry, I live in another country worse off, and this sounds like something someone here is bound to say.

I'm fairly sure I've already had CoVid-19, months ago. Working in retail with no PPE and no mask rule in shops until this month, I was pretty much on the front line of Boris' original Herd Immunity plan. Plus, y'know, my neighbour died of it in March. Can't see any way he was exposed and I wasn't. Although having said that, allegedly the antibodies wear off and you can catch it more than once, so me being brazen about being immune to it now wouldn't be the smartest move possible.

The cinemas have mostly not opened, and the ones that have are at a fraction of capacity and doing social distancing and disinfecting after every show, so it's not like it's Deathmatch Circus or anything.