DVDVR Message Board

2020 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I ultimately was fine with the $20 or $30 rental price for new movies the couple times we did it because when the 3 of us go to a movie it's $27 to just get in to see the movie. With snacks it's another $20.

Although I was pretty annoyed to rent Onward for $20 and then Disney+ put it on their service for free two weeks later.

That's not how they do business, is it? Disney don't want to sell you Popcorn. They want to sell you Disney Popcorn.

Every other movie studio, their films are released in theatres, and then come out on Video/ DVD/ Blu-Ray. Disney movies are released in theatres and then come out on Disney Home Video, Disney DVD or Disney Blu-Ray.

2 hours ago, JLSigman said:
So this is the first I've seen this promoted, and then it's ONLY IN THEATERS. Someone's trying to make sure this movie fails. ?

From the indiewire story

The film was scheduled to be released on August 21, 2020, but because of the COVID-19 pandemic, it was pulled from the schedule — this first trailer says it’ll still be “only in theaters.” But making the film was such a herculean task, as producer King said during an August 6 virtual panel with Coogler, King, and Hampton’s son, Chairman Fred Hampton, Jr., because they knew that they wanted to tell the story on as large a canvas as possible. “I am a revolutionary,” Kaluuya screams repeatedly and urgently early in the trailer into a large Black crowd, who respond just as forcefully. And it never relents after that, promising a film that will likely provoke.

The BBC says the release date is "early 2021" so it makes sense they are saying in theaters only

In fact the only controversy I can find at the moment is some folks are upset that Daniel Kaluuya was cast (they don't like that he is British and feel that Fred Hampton should have been played by an American)

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

In fact the only controversy I can find at the moment is some folks are upset that Daniel Kaluuya was cast (they don't like that he is British and feel that Fred Hampton should have been played by an American)

I felt like I already brought this up, and it turns I did in the Q3 TV thread almost a exactly year ago. "Played by an American"...shit, Lakeith is right there.

I'm glad this is becoming a topic of conversation instead of "well, lets just cast anyone". Hell, Zoe Saldana just apologized the other day about the Nina Simone movie.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Any chance Donnie Yen and Jet Li have an old man fight in that? Or are Commander Tung and the Emperor on the same side? I'm expecting both their screen times to be less than two minutes combined, so I won't get my hopes up, but it would really brighten up my 2020 if they did.

The War With Grandpa

Scheduled to be released October 9 (was originally going to be released TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO)

This is just ... sad. Razzies all around?

(If my island of misfit cinemas opens up soon, we may have this on six of the screens)

1 hour ago, driver said:

Deniro's paycheck doesn't look that bad. At least it will be better than the paycheck he made with Zac Efron John Travolta.

FTFY.

• Haha 1