DVDVR Message Board

2020 UPCOMING MOVIES DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I don't think Kevin was ever going to do a Fletch movie with Chevy Chase. It was always going to be Fletch Won and star Jason Lee.

There's been so many other people attached to a Fletch reboot or Fletch Won or Fletch continuation though. You already mentioned Zack Braff and Jon Hamm, but Jason Sudeikis and I believe Ryan Reynolds were both rumored and/or attached at some point.

Honestly, I think Jon Hamm makes the most sense because the dude is really funny and has a dry sense of humor, whereas Sudeikis and Reynolds are both too wacky for the role.

Jason Sudeikis is an interesting case. Very funny guy, one of the top guys at SNL during his tenure, had two hit movies in the early 10’s (Horrible Bosses and We’re The Millers)...and then seemingly just decided to stop trying to be a movie star?  Basically been MIA for the past 5 years outside of voice roles and independent films (and turning up every now and then on his friends’ shows/SNL).

Just Cause is the last video game franchise that is getting a movie adaptation.

Supposedly will be directed by Michael Dowse (Stuber) and written by Derek Kolstad (John Wick)

2 hours ago, EVA said:

Jason Sudeikis is an interesting case. Very funny guy, one of the top guys at SNL during his tenure, had two hit movies in the early 10’s (Horrible Bosses and We’re The Millers)...and then seemingly just decided to stop trying to be a movie star?  Basically been MIA for the past 5 years outside of voice roles and independent films (and turning up every now and then on his friends’ shows/SNL).

Wait, was We're the Millers a hit? I never saw it, but nothing about it from the trailers looked good.

Horrible Bosses on the other hand I thought was really funny. Hell, I even thought Horrible Bosses 2 was decent enough.

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Supposedly will be directed by Michael Dowse (Stuber) and written by Derek Kolstad (John Wick)

I'll watch it if they get this lady

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Wait, was We're the Millers a hit? I never saw it, but nothing about it from the trailers looked good.

It made $150 million in the US!  One of those late summer surprise hits, as I recall.

How many people bought a ticket to see Jennifer Anniston as a stripper, we’ll never know.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

What Craig said.  Fletch Won was supposed to be a Jason Lee vehicle until it got caught up in development hell.  

Fletch Won is the eight book in the series but it is about Fletch's first scoop for the Tribune.  I don't think there was ever any intention of having Chevy Chase return to the role.  Fletch is like just barely out of journalism school at the beginning of that novel.

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I wonder if they will go with the style of the Che Guevara inspired video game jacket for the movie poster?

Edited by J.T.

Finally took the hint

Secretly I am hoping Christopher Nolan is randomly wandering the streets yelling at anyone not wearing a mask "THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!"

• Haha 5

Per Deadline - Denzel Washington and Julia Roberts are finally going to be working together again as they signed on to star in Netflix's adaptation of the book Leave the World Behind (the book is the newest Rumaan Alam novel and doesn't come out till October )

Based on the book synopsis it sounds like a thriller

Spoiler

Amanda and Clay head out to a remote corner of Long Island expecting a vacation: a quiet reprieve from life in New York City, quality time with their teenage son and daughter, and a taste of the good life in the luxurious home they’ve rented for the week. But a late-night knock on the door breaks the spell. Ruth and G. H. are an older couple—it’s their house, and they’ve arrived in a panic. They bring the news that a sudden blackout has swept the city. But in this rural area—with the TV and internet now down, and no cell phone service—it’s hard to know what to believe.

Should Amanda and Clay trust this couple—and vice versa? What happened back in New York? Is the vacation home, isolated from civilization, a truly safe place for their families? And are they safe from one other?

Roberts is playing Amanda while Denzel is playing C.H.

It will be written and directed by Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail (who previously worked with Roberts on Homecoming)

Mulan has finally been yanked from the release calendar. No new date announced.

Disney has also pushed back all Avatar and Star Wars movies a year.

I am glad I waited for this

Originally I was going say in my last post that the next "big" 2020 release scheduled for the theaters was A Quiet Place 2 but that was just delayed again

A Quiet Place 2 and Top Gun Maverick are both going into 2021

QP2 = April 23, 2021 (was Sept 4, 2020)

TGM = July 2, 2021 (was Dec 23, 2020)

Hit submit reply too quick

Jackass 3 was in the July 2 spot that Top Gun Maverick is now. Its new release date is Sept 3, 2021

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 now has a release date of April 8, 2022

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Thought about this last night: we aren't gonna have much of an Oscars this year, are we? Or one at all?

There was something a month or so ago where the Oscars seemed to be getting snarky about the eligibility rules since they really don't like the Netflix releases. I am sure they will come up with some system that is stupid and still doesn't acknowledge the streaming services.

• Haha 1