Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

2020 INDIE WRESTLING


RIPPA
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It what really shouldn't be surprising - some indie feds are announcing their returns (with crowds) in states with loosened restrictions (ie: Georgia)

IWA Mid-South (of course), Pro Wrestling BUSHIDO and SVW have all announced shows starting in June

IWA Mid-South will have a crowd? Refreshing to see they're changing it up a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I saw an ad or something for the IWA-MS return and it was using their logo with the barbed wire in the letters bordered up "HARDCORE WRESTLING" on top and bottom. I thought they went family-friendly? 

It's a kind of two promotions for the price of one deal. If it's this logo, it's family friendly:

IG- @IWAMidsouth (@IWAMidSouth) | Twitter

Whereas with this one, it's adults-only:

IWA Mid-South Prince Of The Death Matches 2017 | Pro Wrestling ...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And I finally got off my ass and edited some wrestling, too: from British Columbia's last pre-pandemic event, hosted by Big West Wrestling in Kelowna on March 13, 2020.

Includes Jayce D'Arcy (w/Sleazy Steve) vs. "Mad Dog" Marty Sugar; and

Camaro Cope vs. Draven Andrews (w/Sleazy Steve) in a Bullrope Match!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, daveprazak said:

Yeah, how dare him operate a business promoting pro wrestling shows.

I will say this. IWA-MS from 2001-2005 is some of my favorite indy wrestling. You made the shows more enjoyable Dave. When you left IWA-MS the commentary went downhill. Dave Prazak and Jim Fanin were always lifeblood of IWAMS in my mind. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, boy. Wonder what this is about. 

EDIT: Aaaah, they actually named a June PPV CZW Girlz: Top Heavy & Tough. That's... unfortunate.

 

Edited by Peck
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2020 at 12:00 PM, madsplash said:

It sucks because as many dumb things as CZW and DJ specifically have done, this isn't on him. The footage was sold to another company and that's how they chose to market it. It's not in his control.

Yep. The same people contacted me about putting SHIMMER footage on PPV, and I declined, due to previous PPV offerings of women's wrestling shows including titles like "Nude Sex War," "Ring Sex," "Nude Locker Room Mayhem," and "In Ring Sex Play." It's Steve Karel/Stonecutter Media/the former "ECW general manager"/Urban Wrestling Federation guy. I'd like to get some extra money from my footage as much as the next guy, but this was a hard no. To be fair, I told them outright the reason I'm saying no is because of these things, and they offered to not do it with my footage, but I still declined. I don't exactly trust it.

Edited by daveprazak
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/05/lufisto-accuses-czw-and-wsu-of-selling-matches-to-company-670357/

Quote

LuFisto Accuses CZW And WSU Of Selling Matches To Company Promoting Them As "Softcore Porn"
 

Veteran indie women's wrestler LuFisto has issued a video on YouTube to call out the promoters of CZW (Combat Zone Wrestling) and WSU (Women Superstars United fka Women Superstars Uncensored) for selling some of their women's matches to a third party company who promotes them as "softcore" adult material.

CZW announced earlier this month, in a post that has since been deleted from their website, that some of their events would be airing on-demand via pay-per-view in June. The names listed in their announcement were "CZW Girlz: Top Heavy & Tough" and "CZW: Wrestling's Worst Injuries." The women's matches listed on the "CZW Girlz" show were Shanna vs. Hannia, Sassy Stephanie vs. Impact World Champion Tessa Blanchard, Cherry Bomb vs. Leva Bates, and Athena vs. Nia Barela.

"My name is Genevieve Goulet. I've been working as LuFisto for the past 25 years. I am a very proud professional wrestler. I've always defended women's rights in professional wrestling and I will do so until I die," she said to start the video. "I don't know if you guys are aware, but lately CZW, Combat Zone Wrestling, has been promoting us as softcore porn actresses."

LuFisto continued and revealed that she contacted CZW to complain about how some of the women were being billed, and company officials told her that there was nothing they could do about it as they had already tried.

"I am a professional wrestler. I am not a cat fighter. I am not a sweaty girl getting involved in dirty fights, and although, yes, I am top-heavy and a very proud bottom-heavy girl, nothing gives them the right to promote me as such," LuFisto declared. "That's not what I signed up for. I am a professional athlete and I should be treated as such. So are my colleagues.

"When I did contact CZW about the issue, I was told that the footage was sold to a third party that wanted to promote us as such, and that CZW couldn't do anything about. Apparently they tried, which I think is total bulls--t. Then I mentioned to them that it was already very hard for us to deal with the creepy messages we get, the dick pics, borderline harassment that we get daily from people that think professional women wrestlers are actually pornstars or that are available for sexual favors, they just rushed it off, saying, 'Guys get that, too.'"

LuFisto accused CZW of giving her a "bulls--t answer" and said they would've tried harder if they really cared about their female performers. She also said that it looks like 'the John Zandig days are long gone' - a reference to the CZW founder who started the promotion in 1998. Zandig sold the company to DJ Hyde in 2009. Hyde is also listed as a co-owner of WSU, which is affiliated with CZW.

"Well, the fact that the promotion we put our trust in is actually promoting us as such is not helping you. You are part of the problem," she said. "We've been trying so hard for so many years to be taken seriously. There is such an evolution when it comes to women's wrestling and by you doing that and allowing that and doing nothing because you have to remember, your name is on the brand. So, don't give me a bulls--t answer that you can't do nothing about this, and that you tried. If you really cared about the women athletes who broke their back and bled for you, you would've actually tried a little bit harder.

It's not bad enough that some of our matches end up on porn sites without our consent, now somebody we trusted with our name, images and hope that they're going to promote good women professional wrestling, is doing that, is disrespectful and disgraceful. What's really sad about all of this is that Combat Zone Wrestling is where I grew up a competitor and where intergender wrestling was taken seriously. This is where I've been the first woman to enter the Cage of Death, it's also where I've won the CZW Iron Man Championship. The only woman that's ever held CZW gold. What happened today, completely different? Looks like the 'John Zandig days' are long gone."

LuFisto ended her message by issuing a strong warning to female talents that are working for WSU and CZW.

"I'm very sorry it has come to this, but obviously my messages didn't do anything," she said. "So, hopefully this video will wake up someone. To all the women wrestlers working for WSU or CZW, just be aware that they don't give a s--t about you as a professional athlete, as long as they can sell your ass and your t--s. Just beware of that. It is very disappointing. Hopefully this message changes things, or not. Oh well, thank you."

Chrissy responded to a May 12 tweet on the CZW pay-per-view announcement and wrote, "I did not take all those table and scaffold bumps for ten years so CZW could name their shows Double D Destruction or Top Heavy & Tough. f--king buffoons."

Someone asked her what was going on with the pay-per-view announcement and she responded, "It's almost like Dj got rid of everyone who slapped his hand when he did wrong and now he has no guidance on how to be a decent human."

CZW and WSU have not responded to LuFisto's message as of this writing. Stay tuned for updates.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Y'all fixin to learn about Texas wrestling.

What part of TX do they run and who do they use?


I have gotten to know lots of the Dallas/Fort Worth based guys since BIW uses them. Guys like Andy Dalton,APoc,Danny Chance,Barrett Brown and others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

What part of TX do they run and who do they use?


I have gotten to know lots of the Dallas/Fort Worth based guys since BIW uses them. Guys like Andy Dalton,APoc,Danny Chance,Barrett Brown and others.

I haven't been to any of their shows, but I believe they actually cover a pretty decent chunk of Texas, mostly in the south/southeast areas. A few of Booker's students work for them, along with other workers from the state.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like the drama has returned to indy wrestling even before the shows started. Looks like Chris Dickinson was booked on both of the  upcoming ICW (I think it's ICW: No Holds Barred now?) shows. He pulled out of the July show, presumably because of the GCW show the same day, so ICW yanked him from the other as well, a match with Tony Deppen I was looking forward to. They proceeded to snipe at him on Twitter, while he basically just apologized to the fans. Dom Garrini was announced as his replacement.

To sum up...pro wrestling is back.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of indie shows are starting up this weekend in Florida. Mostly in South Florida. ARW is doing a show in coccoa Beach with Gangrel and Wes Briscoe. USA pro was supposed to have a show in July but it got cancelled because the building they usually run in, The Orlando Armory got hit hard by a Tornado that hit town last weekend. I hope they can fix the Armory up cause that place has a lot of wrestling history. FCW/NXT used to run that building with Kelly Kelly once drawing 1200 people in the middle of the summer in a building with no AC. I remember seeing the Bucks and Eita vs T-Hawk there at a Evolve show.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Tim Evans said:

Lots of indie shows are starting up this weekend in Florida. Mostly in South Florida. ARW is doing a show in coccoa Beach with Gangrel and Wes Briscoe. USA pro was supposed to have a show in July but it got cancelled because the building they usually run in, The Orlando Armory got hit hard by a Tornado that hit town last weekend. I hope they can fix the Armory up cause that place has a lot of wrestling history. FCW/NXT used to run that building with Kelly Kelly once drawing 1200 people in the middle of the summer in a building with no AC. I remember seeing the Bucks and Eita vs T-Hawk there at a Evolve show.

Are they going to have crowds in some way or are they going to be empty building shows.  If it's empty building I would think that would be a money loser.  And that may also be true if it's only so many people allowed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgot to post this Tuesday night...

Also, re: shows coming back. Alberta and Saskatchewan are having shows in the next two weekends, with limits of 100 in the crowd. I'm not sure what the "Phase 2" reopening rules are in those provinces, as it's not my circus. I'm keeping my July 4 date in Summerland with the cap being 50 people (staff/workers included), in total, as per B.C. regulations. It's more a show to get my kids back in the groove as they are dying to wrestle again, even if only in from of 30 people. Baby steps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RIPPA unpinned and locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...