DVDVR Message Board

2020 INDIE WRESTLING

RIPPA

OVW tv made it's debut on Youtoo America last night. I haven't watched in years. Apparently Al Snow owns it now as he was all over the show. They also have a deal with Impact and Sami and OVE were on it. The show had good production for an indie and the guy that replaced Dean Hill is a newscaster so he's professional. Will give it a shot next week.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 4:13 PM, Marty Sugar said:

Episode 5.08 ... features an Abbotsford match from February 2019, and a match from Kelowna from January 2020. Both are pretty fun and featuring some younger, greener dudes.

https://youtu.be/Z-K923Tnj30

I just laughed myself stupid at the very first spot in the Baroni - Sayle match. There is something about the jumping attack that just got me right in the guts. It's so slimy and underhanded in the most amusing and likeable way. He is some kind of glorious dickhead, that Baroni.

EDIT - He just keeps getting better! All the eyepokes and backraking!! I think I love this dude. I am digging this fucking match, man. Both guys look great.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

I just laughed myself stupid at the very first spot in the Baroni - Sayle match. There is something about the jumping attack that just got me right in the guts. It's so slimy and underhanded in the most amusing and likeable way. He is some kind of glorious dickhead, that Baroni.

EDIT - He just keeps getting better! All the eyepokes and backraking!! I think I love this dude. I am digging this fucking match, man. Both guys look great.

Thanks for the input! Baroni and I have personal issues that go way beyond wrestling  (long story), but the guy is good. It's why I put  him on my show.

• Like 1

Doing something a little different while all the local workers and staff are home stir-crazy: introducing a new weekly series for Big West...Tuesday Night TalkDown!

Fans can log in to the Big West Facebook page or on the YouTube comments to choose a winner for each promo battle. Plus it has a bonus "vintage" match from 2013 that never aired before. Voting goes until Wednesday, April 15 at 9:00pm, Pacific. (24 hours from when the show went "off the air" after it's premiere on YouTube).

TalkDown is currently signed to an eight-week debut season with an option to renew...

• Like 2

Who is JD Drake and where has he been all my life?  I just watched his PWG debut from their December show (their last show to date, thanks 'rona) vs David Starr and it was tremendous.  Drake's just a big fat dude in short trunks and those cowboy boots with eagles on them, the style every 80s Texas guy wore.  He does a  mix of brawling and fat guy flying, including a sweetass moonsault.  Starr was just generous as fuck and really made him look great, too, selling all his stuff big and winning via heel chicanery.  I need to see more of Drake in PWG when this bullshit is over.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

JD Drake and his tag partner are my least favourite dudes going today. Talk about a guy not getting it. Unless he's come on leaps and bounds since his EVOLVE days, he was an out of shape guy wanting to wrestle like an indie flippy guy who had nowhere near the athleticism or stamina to do so (making Brody King look like Ricochet), but also not sell because he's big, and to do a bunch of shit half assed. Couldn't stand him. And he's not intimidating in the least. Fuck. I kinda hate PWG since the mass exodus. Not going to lie. Those halcyon days of 2016 and prior. Lucha Underground and PWG were the shit. I guess they were sacrificed so NXT could have all of the guys and AEW could exist.

15 hours ago, Oyaji said:

JD Drake and his tag partner are my least favourite dudes going today. Talk about a guy not getting it. Unless he's come on leaps and bounds since his EVOLVE days, he was an out of shape guy wanting to wrestle like an indie flippy guy who had nowhere near the athleticism or stamina to do so (making Brody King look like Ricochet), but also not sell because he's big, and to do a bunch of shit half assed. Couldn't stand him. And he's not intimidating in the least. Fuck. I kinda hate PWG since the mass exodus. Not going to lie. Those halcyon days of 2016 and prior. Lucha Underground and PWG were the shit. I guess they were sacrificed so NXT could have all of the guys and AEW could exist.

Aw man, thanks for the insight on Drake.  Maybe Starr just made him look exceptionally good.  I'll reel that enthusiasm in and see how he does post-rona.  I get you on the mass exodus part.  I still have to watch the main, but the last show definitely had more matches that were slightly above average as opposed to that old PWG magic.  But sleazy-ass Tony Deppen vs Orange Cassidy was GREAT.

I'm hoping some of the recent WWE releases, especially Hero, can revitalize things a bit.  Also hoping some guys like Cole don't renew next go-round, eyes opened to what an awful company they work for.  I can dream, dammit.

Hero back to PWG could help a lot. I could see them giving him the title in short order and they should imo. He's exactly what they need. Veteran smarts, not a lot of nonsense, believable. 

And I really enjoy Deppen and OC so I have little doubt that would be a good match. I don't see a mass exodus back to the indies and AEW only has so much room (though they could certainly upgrade some of their undercard acts). I doubt many end up leaving NXT/WWE  just for the financial end of it. Of course their wrestlers get a pittance of what they're worth but the indie scene is going to be completely fucked once things start back up in earnest (which I seriously don't think can consistently happen until a vaccine is widely dispersed). They basically don't have any option of leaving and doing a Cody at this point because I'm thinking the money has dried up for the time being. Maybe ROH? Maybe a handful could get into AEW? But I can't imagine dudes are hankering to make that 2020-21 indie money. 

• Like 1

It what really shouldn't be surprising - some indie feds are announcing their returns (with crowds) in states with loosened restrictions (ie: Georgia)

IWA Mid-South (of course), Pro Wrestling BUSHIDO and SVW have all announced shows starting in June

On 4/29/2020 at 5:55 AM, Technico Support said:

Aw man, thanks for the insight on Drake.  Maybe Starr just made him look exceptionally good.  I'll reel that enthusiasm in and see how he does post-rona.  I get you on the mass exodus part.  I still have to watch the main, but the last show definitely had more matches that were slightly above average as opposed to that old PWG magic.  But sleazy-ass Tony Deppen vs Orange Cassidy was GREAT.

I'm hoping some of the recent WWE releases, especially Hero, can revitalize things a bit.  Also hoping some guys like Cole don't renew next go-round, eyes opened to what an awful company they work for.  I can dream, dammit.

I like Drake and Anthony Henry. Have met both many times and Drake's chops are stiff as shit. He told me He'd bet $$$ his chops are stiffer than Low Ki's.  Watch some of their PWX North Carolina work. The Evolve stuff is good but not their best work. 

• Like 1