DVDVR Message Board

2020 INDIE WRESTLING

RIPPA

On 1/22/2020 at 8:15 PM, Casey said:

I know a ton of people on EWB still follow it religiously.

Speaking of Chikara though, the current Jervis Cottonbelly (Kevin Condron) has been outed as a sex pest, sending unsolicited nudes to fans (and then using fan artwork sent to him for merch, without asking the artists).

the Jervis thing isn't being spread around as much as Rory. In fact Retromania is doing a poll to have an indy guy added to their game roster and Jervis in the final 3 along with Warhorse and Matt Cross.   I would have thought if more people knew of what Jervis did he would never have made final 3. 

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

the Jervis thing isn't being spread around as much as Rory. In fact Retromania is doing a poll to have an indy guy added to their game roster and Jervis in the final 3 along with Warhorse and Matt Cross.   I would have thought if more people knew of what Jervis did he would never have made final 3. 

Has anyone told a first-person account of what he sent them, or what he did?

I haven't seen anything other than "my friend received ..." type stuff from a person or two. Not defending, just curious. Plus I like reading about wrestling gossip. 

Didn't something happen a few years ago with Condron and Quack?

Condron and Quack went at it when the former tried to claim ownership of the Jervis gimmick, then CHIKARA trademarked it, which is why Gentleman Jervis is a thing instead of the original gimmick from the mid 2000s. Apparently Condron is a dickhead, too.

As for your first question, yes.

1zwwv670dec41.png?width=594&format=png&a

The above screenshot isn't an account of sexual abuse - it's emotional abuse and a reference to someone else's sexual abuse. Also not defending the dude, but if he's being "cancelled" it seems like there should be a little more to it. Is there a screenshot from the twitter account she's referencing?

Also - I had never heard the phrase "sex pest" before/outside of this specific case. Is that a thing?

On 2/7/2020 at 7:23 AM, Log said:

LA PARK VS EDDIE FUCKING KINGSTON!!!!

on Feb 14. 

Some booker somewhere finally kayfabe remembered that Puerto Ricans and Mexicans are supposed to hate each other in pro wrestling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I assume everyone's already been waiting for my annual 16 Carat Gold post. OK, I Know nobody cares, but here it is anyways.

Full line-up of this year's 16 Carat Gold participants:

1. "Speedball" Mike Bailey
  2. Chris Ridgeway
  3. Shigehiro Irie
  4. Black Taurus
  5. Puma King
  6. Alexander James
  7. Daniel Makabe
  8. Eddie Kingston
  9. Jurn Simmons
  10. Cara Noir
  11. Marius Al-Ani
  12. Lucky Kid
  13. Lio Rush
  14. The Rotation
  15. Julian Pace
  16. Bandido

Alex Shelley will wrestle as a special attraction on Night 2, WALTER will only appear on the Sunday matinee event. David Starr vs. Bobby Gunns for the wXw World Championship will headline Night 2, where Starr will put his wXw career on the line. And of course Yuki Ishikawa vs. Daisuke Ikeda at Ambition (as well as Ethan Allen vs. Luke Jacobs).

Overall the direction of wXw has been pretty poor lately, but they never disappoint at 16 Carat and I think this line-up is pretty fantastic. I actually don't think you could have put a better line-up together in this current Indie landscape where WWE and AEW have signed up 90% of the wrestlers. So many potentially great first-time match-ups you never would have dreamed of (Makabe/Ridgeway, Rush/Bailey, Taurus/Kingston, Bandido/Irie and many more).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2020 at 12:59 AM, J.T. said:

Some booker somewhere finally kayfabe remembered that Puerto Ricans and Mexicans are supposed to hate each other in pro wrestling.

I always assumed it was boxing. But I do recall some modern stuff booked with Mexico vs Puerto Rico along with the lucha feds Alberto El Patron has worked for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cubbymark said:

I always assumed it was boxing. But I do recall some modern stuff booked with Mexico vs Puerto Rico along with the lucha feds Alberto El Patron has worked for.

Best angle of that nature was the Los Boricuas rudo stable led by Pierroth invading CMLL in the name of Puerto Rico.

I always expected Homicide to turn on Hernandez and Konnan during their LAX run in TNA.  Puerto Ricans and Mexicans aren't normally supposed to get along like that.

Nowadays in the era of Trump vs. Brown People, I was actually looking forward to Eddie Kingston and the new LAX to go around Impact selectively beating down gringos in the proud tradition of the Rodney Mack White Boy Challenge or the Gangsta's run in SMW, but now Angel & Ortiz are Inner Circle members and are probably much happier in AEW.

Edited by J.T.

Haven't edited in a while, mostly due to depression. Back into it this year, trying to do "Wild Okanagan Wrestling" again to at least hype things before show weekends. No commentary on the first one...baby steps.

Next one will be up this week, with some actual commentary because I didn't have to edit the match.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2020 at 2:50 AM, cubbymark said:

Even in Puerto Rico in 97 WWC booked the Aztec Invasion as  they were working with Promo Azteca.

GCW did a great job building up to their first match in the promotion and presenting Rickey Shane Page as just a complete dickhead that should be loathed by everybody over the last few months.

I've been saying for a while now that GCW has managed to become the "next ECW" but did it without TRYING to become the next ECW, but by being the first GCW.

The main event last night though was as gloriously overbooked as the greatest overbooked ECW matches, and save for one glaring hole that is still eating away at me a little bit today, that overbooking hit beat-for-beat, and the combination of violence, heat, big-fight atmosphere, and build, and even with the one glaring hole, I'm still ready to declare this an all-time Top 5 (maybe even Top 3) U.S. deathmatches.

Spoiler

It really bugged me that Gregory Iron and his cronies were able to come out a second time to interfere after being run off by the entire GCW locker room the first time they ran in. And of course, a minute or two after the final pin, the GCW locker room comes out a second time to run them out. Somehow, three guys were able to escape getting beat up or run off by the entire locker room to interfere long enough (at least a couple of minutes) to help RSP win the title.

I am okay with RSP winning the first GCW match and keeping the chase going, but it's frustrating because they still could have done all of the ref bumps and the Eric Ryan turn and gotten to the same destination without Iron and company coming back out, and the crowd STILL probably would have thrown trash in the ring like BATB 1996.

• Like 1

Only GCW would make a guy with Gregory Iron's backstory a heel, lol. Absolutely died with his Roman impression. That match was predictably a mess but a very fun mess. You're right about the spoiler tag'd stuff. Nonsense but it did get the reaction they were going for.

Also predictable: Mancer having a significantly better BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF ALLIE KAT TO GET HER OVER type of match than Nick Gage. The panty spot was hilarious too. Skewer spot less so.

• Like 1

I went to USA pro last night in Orlando. It was a usual USA pro show going 4.5 hours and a lot of no shows( Rock N Roll Express, Teddy Hart, Jesse Neal etc). Teddy at least was known ahead of time. Goodman did a ok job rebooking the whole show. Matt Sydal vs Shannon moore was good. Moore is jacked now and I think he's headed to the PC as a coach. My favorite match of the night was Vordell Walker vs Shane Mercer. First time seeing Mercer and he's a beast. They drove a Uhaul truck ringside and Mercer took a bump off it into the ring. It was crazy. Also, Scott Steiner vs Joey Ryan happened and no one really cared. Steiner didn't even take the dick flip so what's the point to booking Joey then?

• Thanks 1