DVDVR Message Board

2020 INDIE WRESTLING

RIPPA

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

With the way that they seemed to be handling things for the shows themselves I initially though they had this part taken care of.  Really sucks that that wasn't the case.  I'm still hoping there aren't too many more positive cases as the risk of a super-spreader event is higher than I initially thought.

I found out from a few of the workers that they didn't test.  I know a worker who was not part of the collective but did test positive and he shared his results online with everyone. The promoter got pissed at him for doing that.  Some promoters are still carny as ever and during a pandemic it is really starting to show. 

• Sad 1

Fuck, man.  This honestly puts a huge damper on the Collective shows for me.  I was planning to watch more but tests weren't required I feel I'll be looking worried about who was or wasn't positive at the time.  I might just finish the Spring Break show and wait for these to come to IWTV.  Hopefully at that point the dust will settle a bit better.

Most indy promotions aren't requiring them which to me shows how much they truly care for both the workers and fans. Like I mentioned, an indy worker in Pittsburgh was positive prior to the Collective and he came out online to tell everyone.  The promoter bitched at him for doing so.  Any promoter not testing prior to a show OR making his workers including ref, camera crew etc  show negative tests should lose their license immediately. 

• Like 1

ORIGINAL AIRDATE: October 29, 2020

We look back on SUNDAY STUNDAY from October 25, while looking ahead to TOUGHER THAN LEATHER on November 14. It's our Ninth Anniversary show, and it will be a hard-hitting, thrilling affair. On this episode of ThrowDown, we hear from Ace Redmann Jr, Danni Deeds, Haviko, Jordie Taylor, Justin Cider, Malik Melo and Miles Deville, along with an easter egg from Camaro Cope. Plus we see the Melo/Deville showdown from October 25.

Don't forget it's up to YOU to decide the rankings in the four-person mini-tournament to crown the "first" Internet Champion on November 14 in Summerland. You have until Friday, October 30 at 9pm, Pacific, to choose ONE of the four competitors, based on the strength of the promo they cut for this show:

CHOOSE ONE:
Danni Deeds
Haviko
Malik Melo
Miles Deville

I'm doing a Movember 2020 fundraiser where I review a "Match A Day" (M.A.D. Dog), and the matches are chosen by those who donate. Initially I suggested $10 but in this day and age, I dropped to "almost" any donation. I had three matches thus far, but no more donations so...if you wanna toss a couple bucks at a fundraiser and get put in a draw for some indie wrestling swag: [email protected] is the place to e-transer donations and match suggestions.

1. Nikita vs. Magnum, Best of 3 Falls from Sept. 13, 1986

2. John Tenta & Rick Davis dominate on All-Star TV, circa 1986

3. Scarlett Black vs. Jade, Pinfalls Anywhere (2018 Big West Match Of The Year)

Edited by Marty Sugar
  • Like 1

ORIGINAL AIRDATE: November 5, 2020

We continue to build to TOUGHER THAN LEATHER in Summerland on November 14, 2020; the Ninth Anniversary Show for Big West Wrestling.

On this episode, we hear from Camaro Cope, Danni Deeds, Elliot Tyler, Eli Surge, Justin Cider, Haviko, Malik Melo, Miles Deville and Slave. Marty Sugar talks briefly about #movember2020 and the importance of cutting promos at all; and we have news on Davey Deals and briefly take a look at The Compound.

All this, plus an exciting match between Chucky Lee Ray and Elliot Tyler from SUNDAY STUNDAY on October 25, as reffed by Colton Gee with Davey Deals and Zilla on commentary.

On 11/7/2020 at 5:24 AM, Linus said:

NGI today at 1pm (a civilised 6pm for us Brits)... who ya got? I’m going AJ Gray...

After looking as the results of the NGI and today's show, I'd guess Ol' Mancer finally signed with someone and is closing out his indy run. 

5 hours ago, EricG said:

After looking as the results of the NGI and today's show, I'd guess Ol' Mancer finally signed with someone and is closing out his indy run. 

I didn't get that at all, but who knows in these crazy times? I didn't actually enjoy the NGI much, and not because I'm a lousy tipster, but So Much Fun was a great show with a really hot finish. The Alex Zayne thing is weird, though, because while he can be thrilling at times he's actually not that good, and Blake Christian is far better, but if he wants to earn money for hanging around the Performance Centre for a couple of years, more power to him, I guess.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Linus said:

The Alex Zayne thing is weird, though, because while he can be thrilling at times he's actually not that good, and Blake Christian is far better, but if he wants to earn money for hanging around the Performance Centre for a couple of years, more power to him, I guess.

Wow, couldn't possibly disagree more. Blake Christian is cool and all, but Alex Zayne is in my opinion the best highflyer in the world right now not named Ospreay or Bandido.

Delayed due to work and lack of donations. This one is the Punk/Cena match from MITB 2011. It can be found on DailyMotion. Don’t forget to send your donation and match suggestion to [email protected] Total #movember2020 money raised so far: $60.00 ?

Also, on the Big West Wrestling Facebook  page, our Ninth Anniversary Show  (Tougher Than Leather), will air tonight (Saturday, November 13) at 7:00pm, Pacific Standard Time. It's a Facebook feed, so we'll do the best we can. Pre-Show is slated to start at 6:30 with some interviews, etc. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/BigWestWrestling

From "Tougher Than Leather" on November 14 in Summerland, BC, Ace Redmann, Jr. battles Justin Cider, and Chucky Lee Ray tangles with the returning Michael More. Including never before seen pre-match promos. Skye and Colton Gee are the refs, and Zilla brings the commentary alongside Handsome Pete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

GCW Slime Season is live and free on YouTube in about two hours and 30 minutes.

This event is a fundraiser for the GCW Performers who face an uncertain Holiday season as shows are cancelled and their income disappears. Please Donate now and support our locker room!

https://www.Tinyurl.com/GCWSlime

100% of proceeds go to the locker room!

• Jordan Oliver vs Chris Bey
  • Sefa Fatu vs Facade
  • Matt Justice vs Jacob Fatu
  • Jimmy Lloyd vs Eli Everfly vs KTB vs Matt Vandagriff vs Damian Drake vs Nate Webb
  • Mance Warner vs Atticus Cogar
  • Kikutaro vs Allie Kat
  • Juicy Fanu vs RSP
  • Blake Christian vs Lio Rush
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 1:21 PM, Casey said:

GCW Slime Season is live and free on YouTube in about two hours and 30 minutes.

• Jordan Oliver vs Chris Bey
  • Sefa Fatu vs Facade
  • Matt Justice vs Jacob Fatu
  • Jimmy Lloyd vs Eli Everfly vs KTB vs Matt Vandagriff vs Damian Drake vs Nate Webb
  • Mance Warner vs Atticus Cogar
  • Kikutaro vs Allie Kat
  • Juicy Fanu vs RSP
  • Blake Christian vs Lio Rush

I really enjoyed the opener: I never cared much for Jordan Oliver but since the pandemic he's become a strong hot open guy. His match with Juicy Finau at another recent GCW event was good...but this was awesome. Jacob Fatu losing his shit when he hurt his eye and fucking Matt Justice up was entertaining, and the clusterfuck had...moments. Sefa Fatu has a good  look and you know he'll be in NXT very soon...but he is green and seems really scared to take dives and moves from his foes. A credit to Facade to get this match back on the rails because it full-on falls APART in the finishing stretch. Juicy/RSP was interesting for Page doing the "you don't belong" schtick and then Juicy getting his face busted up and proving he could still hang. RSP is a perfect indie heel champion as he looks like shit but he can GO.

Warner vs. Cogar was a lot of fun, and Kikutaro/Kat was fun in a super silly way...about the only time Joey Janela's drunken "fuck this" commentary worked, though. He can be a real business-exposing dink when he's in a White Claw frame of mind. I also liked the pre-show promos (that they used 3-4 times during the show), of 44OH! playing poker (and Gregory Iron saying he had A BAD HAND), and Lio crying in his living room after losing the first encounter with Blake (which was also super good).

Blake/Lio II was...artistic? Filmed beautifully? I have to watch it again because my edibles kicked in and I'm not sure it was filmed as creepy/artistically as I perceived it. Both my girlfriend and I were certain Lio's makeup was wriggling on his face, and that opening dancer dude creeped me the eff out.

• Like 1