DVDVR Message Board

2020 INDIE WRESTLING

RIPPA

UWN Episode 4!

Opens with a series of promos about tonight's matches to get us hyped and I only recognize Chris Dickinson. Excited to see some new faces!

Bryan Idol/Levy Shapiro (w/ Howdy Price)
Shapiro and Price are a ridiculous package. Howdy is cackling cowboy who yells 'Hooowwwddyyyyy!' while Levy comes out to disco and has a general 70s feel, it shouldn't work but it does. Bryan is the taller of the two and has hair like Van Hammer's little cousin, he works a headlock to set up a Slingblade and a tope but can't get a pin off a butterfly suplex. Heel shenanigans leads to Shapiro trying for the Claw and Howdy throws his boot in the ring to distract the ref after Idol hits a nice double jump moonsault. A punch with a loaded glove gives it to Levy, a fittingly 70s finish. Bryan could go places with some refinement, he moves well for a bigger guy but it's all very CAW right now. Better get on it though, dude is 38.

The Pope is the Pimptastic One! Haven't seen Pope wrestle in... ever?

FSW Nevada Ladies Title: Vipress/Lacy Ryan (c)
Vipress is your gothy, two tone haired heel, she takes control early leading to a triple suplex for 2 and then works a sleeper for the rest of the match, putting her full weight on Lacy each time which is a nice touch. Ryan is good, she hits hard, sells really well, and can do some flying too. She almost goes out to the sleeper but Hulk's up and hits an over-convulted Go2Sleep variant for 3. 

4 Minutes of Heat/Beef Candy w/ David Flex
These names, my god. I anxiously await to see if 4MoH (Ricky Gibson (yes!) and Eddy Pearl) live up to their name. They do not, in fact, get four minutes of heat on anyone, instead Gibson gets worked over after Flex gets involved. Some internet research tells me 4MoH have a rock star/roadie gimmick but I have no idea which one is which, unless years of teaming have brought the rock star crashing down to the roadie's level and now they're just two roadies. Backslide/legdrop combo gets two for Beef Candy, whose gimmick is they like candy and aren't beefy. Pearl gets the big hot tag and atomic drops his way into my heart. Four Minutes hit the Power Ballad double team and that's it. I never learned Beef Candy's names. They dedicate the match to Eddie van Halen, that rules.

"Platinum" Max Caster/Chris Dickinson
Caster has a diss track in place of a pre-match promo and it's pretty good. This is immediately better than Chris' match from last week as they wale on each other to start. Dickinson maintains control but every time he tries for the DVD Caster has an answer and then goes after his arm. Dickinson with a big time head kick and a DVD selling the arm the whole time. Good, quick match. Dickinson continues to ask Billy Corgan for more challengers, Corgan may or may not be aware that's his responsibility.

The Bodega/Wolf Zaddies
Commentary calls this tag match 'two big guys fighting over a plate of W's' and I can only concur. King Fat Boy is rad, he's pretty fat but not so fat he can't move plus he decides not to sell one of the Zaddies' comeback and just walks away and tags out. Zaddies beat up Danny Limelight until he hits a sweet rope walk into a springboard twisting clothesline thing and I get why they compared him to Miles Morales now. King Fat Boy with the slow hot tag but Limelight ends up eating Zaddisfaction Guaranteed for 3 anyway. Basic match but everything hit well and obviously King Fat Boy is the best.

Watts and The Pope/Zicky Dice and Mystery Partner
Dice yells to cut his music after they've already cut his music. The mystery partner is Effy! Awesome! Slow start until Pope comes in to bring the energy up and Zicky cuts him off with a dope clothesline. Excellent Doomsday Device from Watts and Pope as a tribute to Road Warrior Animal. Pope moves great and really holds this together, directing the greener Watts and eventually putting down Dice and pinning Effy on his own. Zicky spits on Pope so Pope cuts a promo about tradition and challenges him for the TV Title. Not bad main event.

I'm enjoying these episodes. The only continuity so far is Chris Dickinson so I hope there's more angles forthcoming.

5 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

anyone ordering the Collective this weekend?

Already have. But I bet I don't finish watching all of it this month.

18 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

$ Minutes of Heat/Beef Candy w/ David Flex
These names, my god. I anxiously await to see if 4MoH (Ricky Gibson (yes!) and Eddy Pearl) live up to their name. They do not, in fact, get four minutes of heat on anyone, instead Gibson gets worked over after Flex gets involved. Some internet research tells me 4MoH have a rock star/roadie gimmick but I have no idea which one is which, unless years of teaming have brought the rock star crashing down to the roadie's level and now they're just two roadies. Backslide/legdrop combo gets two for Beef Candy, whose gimmick is they like candy and aren't beefy. Pearl gets the big hot tag and atomic drops his way into my heart. Four Minutes hit the Power Ballad double team and that's it. I never learned Beef Candy's names. They dedicate the match to Eddie van Halen, that rules.

Both members of 4 Minutes of Heat had Mullets for ages. But then in lockdown they decided to have a Mullet vs Mullet match against each other for no particular reason. It's good. On IWTV and I think YouTube as well. Disappointingly, the one who lost didn't start growing it back immediately, but instead went for the bald and beard look.

So it's The Collective day... I usually watch this stuff with a bunch of friends and we end up tired and hating each other by the end, but this year it's just me and I have forty-eight years of hating myself so here's hoping!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AxB said:

Both members of 4 Minutes of Heat had Mullets for ages. But then in lockdown they decided to have a Mullet vs Mullet match against each other for no particular reason. It's good. On IWTV and I think YouTube as well. Disappointingly, the one who lost didn't start growing it back immediately, but instead went for the bald and beard look.

That’s great. Wrestling is great.

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

I got the package but probably the only things I will watch live is Spring Break, Bloodsport, and the AIW show.  

Me, too. The venue is interested. All concrete. I feel like if it was packed it would sound awesome and just amplify everything. But with the size of the crowd now everything just sounds hollow and dead.

Cogar vs. Corino ending D-Generation F was a pretty rough way to go out. 

• Like 1

If you want to know the meaning of Big E talking about TWO BIG MEN SLAPPING MEAT, watch O Shay Edwards vs Calvin Tankman at the For the Culture show last night.   Just insane and powerful

The whole show was damn good and I haven't yet  seen 2 Cold Scorpio vs AR Fox yet which everyone online has been hyping 

Edited by hammerva

Both Tankman and Edwards are going to be stars if they get the opportunities. Edwards is as good a promo as he is a hoss, so the sky is the limit on him. 

How’ve the Moriarty and Makabe matches been? Two of my current favorites as well.  

I almost regret getting in on the XSX preorder this week, because I couldn’t justify the Collective stuff on top of it. Following along on Twitter/boards makes me a little jealous!

• Like 1

The Moriarty match was Makabe ONLY Collective booking, unbelievable as it seems. But it was everything you would hope it would be.

Lee wrestled three times yesterday (I only saw the Makabe match, but apparently the FTC one with ACH was a real banger. Nobody's talking about the AIW three way with Alex Shelley and Tre LaMar, but I can't see that being anything but awesome), and he looked exhausted in his match for SUP Graps this morning. And he's got another one tonight.

Also, AJ Gray missed his Big Gay Brunch booking because he was asleep. Levi Everett subbed for him. But 4 hours after he woke up, he had a classic with ACH.

On 10/9/2020 at 4:48 PM, EricG said:

Me, too. The venue is interested. All concrete. I feel like if it was packed it would sound awesome and just amplify everything. But with the size of the crowd now everything just sounds hollow and dead.

Cogar vs. Corino ending D-Generation F was a pretty rough way to go out. 

Cogar was a prick to me. I used to work in a promotion with his Culmination partner Remy and I went to talk to Remy and Cogar for no reason just flips me off. This is during an intermission where nobody else was really around. Remy told him who I was and he didn't apologize or anything just acted like a prick. I see he's getting booked more which is great for him but the guy is a prick. 

AIW was fun,  Janella's show is great right now.  For the Culture wasn't bad, 2 Cold can still go.    Effy's Big Brunch had some interesting moments but was my least favorite of the shows so far.   

1 hour ago, AxB said:

The Moriarty match was Makabe ONLY Collective booking, unbelievable as it seems. But it was everything you would hope it would be.

Lee wrestled three times yesterday (I only saw the Makabe match, but apparently the FTC one with ACH was a real banger. Nobody's talking about the AIW three way with Alex Shelley and Tre LaMar, but I can't see that being anything but awesome), and he looked exhausted in his match for SUP Graps this morning. And he's got another one tonight.

Also, AJ Gray missed his Big Gay Brunch booking because he was asleep. Levi Everett subbed for him. But 4 hours after he woke up, he had a classic with ACH.

Moriarty is one of the nicest guys, and seeing him have these 4 or 5 star matches is really making my weekend. In addition to wresting he does some incredible web design work. Him leaving PWX or whatever they call themselves now was the best move he could have made.  If you have HSWN you could probably see his first matches on there. 

Nothing says Clusterfuck like Cassandro and No Legs Dustin Thomas working in the ring ?

Also nothing says Clusterfuck like the most popular GIF of this match was the guy who shot himself in the dick with his confetti guy 

Edited by hammerva

ACH/AJ Gray lived up to the hype! I wasn't the biggest fan of ACH on the indies and his NXT run was tragically mishandled so this is a little bit of a soft reboot in my eyes. Gray I've never seen before but he won me over right away by bringing the heat. Great match!

I was wondering the same. I imagine it'll be a while for any of the marquee shows, though, just because the replays would still be available on Fite, right? Just speculation from me, though.

I'm actually most bummed about missing SUP. Since moving to right outside of Nashville to start 2020, they're becoming my "home" promotion. With 2020 being the way it has, I haven't been able to get to a show (and with the damage done to their building earlier in the year, I'm not sure when they'll run Nash again), but I've gone through the archives and am looking forward to seeing them live. Haven't been to live wrestling since a CHIKARA show in 2010, so I'm chomping at the bit to get to a show.

4 minutes ago, Shane said:

I was wondering the same. I imagine it'll be a while for any of the marquee shows, though, just because the replays would still be available on Fite, right? Just speculation from me, though.

I'm actually most bummed about missing SUP. Since moving to right outside of Nashville to start 2020, they're becoming my "home" promotion. With 2020 being the way it has, I haven't been able to get to a show (and with the damage done to their building earlier in the year, I'm not sure when they'll run Nash again), but I've gone through the archives and am looking forward to seeing them live. Haven't been to live wrestling since a CHIKARA show in 2010, so I'm chomping at the bit to get to a show.

Hey, a Middle TN guy! That's awesome, I'm like an hour and a half outside of Nashville. Unfortunately I didn't jump on the SUP train until a few months before the Basement East got destroyed, but I really want to go to a show of theirs if they ever run again. Brett Ison vs Allie Kat was my jumping off point for getting into them.