DVDVR Message Board

2020 INDIE WRESTLING

RIPPA

Jerry Lawler worked Mance Warner last year. Mancer couldn't carry Lawler to anything particularly good though. He was bumping for two throughout.

Mania week was supposed to be the coming out party for Chris Dickinson... and it still could be. But Lee Moriarty is being positioned to have a whole heap of great matches over Collective weekend.

• Like 1

TalkDown 2.09

ORIGINAL AIRDATE: September 15, 2020

Six promo battles, plus we hear from Ace Redmann, Jr., Camaro Cope, Chucky Lee Ray and Haviko in regards to their matches on 9/26 in Summerland. 

Deadline for votes is Wednesday, September 16 at 9:00pm Pacific. Ballots must be complete for them to count! 

ONE: Lance Skullz // Red Denero // DRAW

TWO: Sleazy Steve // Johnny Dean // DRAW

THREE: Deztro The Eskimofo // Mr. Money Mark // DRAW

MATCH FOUR: Zilla // Dylan Murphy // DRAW

FIVE: Jordie Taylor // Skye // DRAW

FOR THE INTERNET TITLE: The Advocate // Justin Cider (c) // DRAW 

TalkDown 2.10

ORIGINAL AIRDATE: September 22, 2020

Lots of wrestler comments heading into the "Live, Laugh, LARIAT" event on September 26 in Summerland, as well as six promo battles. Remember to post your COMPLETE ballots (picking a winner or a draw for every battle), by Wednesday, September 23 at 9pm, Pacific. HAVE YOUR SAY!

MATCH ONE:
Skye
The Advocate
DRAW

MATCH TWO:
Blu Wilder
Casey Peake
DRAW

MATCH THREE:
Lance Skullz
Zilla
DRAW

MATCH FOUR:
Deztro The Eskimofo
Dylan Murphy
DRAW

MATCH FIVE:
Red DeNero
Sleazy Steve
DRAW

FOR THE INTERNET TITLE:
Jordie Taylor (challenger)
Justin Cider (champion)
DRAW

Does RISE wrestling still exist (the womens/intergender fed, not the UK fed). They haven't ran any events since last November, but that doesn't mean much if they were maybe taking a couple months off for the winter and then the world went to shit in March. I get a connection error when I try to go to their website, which is not a great sign and I can't find much in the way of social media.

Too bad if they're not around, as I've been watching their cards on IWTV and have been really enjoying them. The matches are fun and they always seem to get a really engaged crowds, so they have great atmosphere.

I really dug their Pride show and the Legendary show with the no ropes, submission match between Kylie Rae and Mercedes Martinez. They've also been my first exposure to some workers I wasn't familiar with and have become a fan of, like Miranda Alize (like the drink), Big Mama and Dust. And with all the flak she gets about being green in AEW, I've thought that Big Swole has looked great in every appearance in RISE I've seen.

Moxley vs Chris Dickinson for Bloodsport. That's a big upgrade on the planned Moxley vs Killer Kross for Mania week... although Dickinson would have been fighting Minoru Suzuki.

• Like 2

Bloodsport added these matches

D.B. Smith Jr. vs Josh Alexander

Tom Lawlor vs. Homicide

The others already announced :

Jon Moxley vs. Chris Dickinson

Simon Grimm vs. Matt Makowski

Erik Hammer vs. "Grizzly" Kal Jak

14 hours ago, Log said:

Damn. 

"I couldn't possibly allow them to work in an unsafe ring, but I will make sure they slice each other up for little to no pay and take unnecessarily dangerous spots to appease 75 people in lovely Connersville at another time."

Too bad, we'll all have to wait for another "Sh*t You Don't Want to Get Poked With" Death Match until a later date. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Forgot to post last Thursday's ThrowDown:

ORIGINAL AIRDATE: September 29, 2020

We look at the aftermath of "Live, Laugh, LARIAT" from September 26 in Summerland, and we look ahead to "Sunday Stunday" on October 25...where the Voros Twins will face whomever YOU CHOOSE as their opponents! Also we hear from Mr. Money Mark, and sneak a peak at Totally Arctic Wrestling.

Five promo battles this week, plus the Voros VoteDown: remember to post your COMPLETE ballots (picking a winner or a draw for every battle AND your Top 4 in the VoteDown), by Wednesday, September 30 at 9pm, Pacific. HAVE YOUR SAY!

MATCH ONE:
Blu Wilder
Red DeNero
DRAW

MATCH TWO:
Casey Peake
Johnny Dean
DRAW

MATCH THREE:
Dylan Murphy
Lance Skullz
DRAW

MATCH FOUR:
The Advocate
Deztro The Eskimofo
DRAW

MATCH FIVE:
Skye
Zilla
DRAW

THE VOROS VOTEDOWN: (choose four)
Ace Redmann, Jr.
Beef Boy
Camaro Cope
Chucky Lee Ray
Draven Andrews
Eli Surge
Haviko
Malik Melo
Marty Sugar
Miles Deville
Sebastian Wolfe
Todd Quality (w/Lance Skullz)

ThrowDown 2.11
ORIGINAL AIRDATE: October 1, 2020
Results from a very competitive TalkDown 2.11; lots of jockeying for position as we only have two more weeks in the season. Meanwhile, K0-J makes a powerful statement after being called out last week by both Justin Cider and Marty Sugar. Plus we see the entire “Loser Leaves Town” saga between Beef Boy and Mercury, and Round Two of the Voros VoteDown awaits for you to whittle eight down to a Final Four!

I checked out United Wrestling Network's third episode! I don't know much about this company except that it's vaguely connected to the NWA. The studio set up isn't a bad look.

United Wrestling Network Tag Team Title Match
Real Money Brothers/So.Cal Distancing (c)
Clearly I hate the chosen moniker of the champions but they are by far the better team. One of the champs, Andy Brown, has the nickname "The Last of a Dying Breed" and I wish I knew what he meant by that. So.Cal get a Death Valley/Doublestomp combo for a good near fall. Andy hits a nice Superman punch to set up Adrian Quest's not bad Phoenix Splash and the champs retain. This started ugly but came together a little as it went on.

Hell yeah, Trevor Murdoch promo. He ain't got a game plan, y'all. 

Greek God Papadon/Remy Marcel
Remy is nicknamed "The 86er" and the commentators imply very heavily it is because he is a legitimate assassin for hire but then later go into his extensive indie career in other gimmicks. He wrestles with a tank top and shoulder holsters on and his shoulders are taped to shit so he's visually very confusing. Papadon rules, he's a big lug who yells a lot and he came out in a loose robe, I love that. For a second, the commentary goes into the background, not sure if those lines were meant to be cut but were still caught on the ring mic or it was a mistake. GGP, as they call him, is such a dick and throws great suplexes so thank god he takes most of the match. Marcel gets really close to killing Papadon with a Northern Lights for 2 but a rad clothesline and an even radder piledriver gives the win to the Greek God. GGP rules.

"Dirty Daddy" Chris Dickinson cuts a good promo on Jervis Cottonbelly and calls the interviewer Jimbo Bimbo. Anthony Idol shows up to talk about jelly and butter to set up a match somehow.

Oh, it's right now?
"The Neon Phenomenon" Anthony Idol/"DD" Chris Dickinson
Chris is jacked, yo! Anthony is... big. Idol controls to start and I get a real WCW Saturday Night vibe from him, Dickinson is the perfect neo-Robbie Rage to crush him. Except he doesn't wrestle like Robbie Rage, he uses swinging DDTs and cross armbars so it's way easier to watch. Idol tries to flip flop and fly but Chris ducks and a Dickinson Valley Driver ends it. Chris looked good, I'd like to see him in there with someone more technical.

Allysin Kay/"Queen of Suplexes" Nicole Savoy
This is the rubber match, apparently. Commentary puts over Savoy's gaming as giving her mental fortitude. Kay isn't allowed to give a promo this week so she fights the interviewer. Savoy tries to get Kay on the mat but when she does Kay comes out on top so she sticks to suplexes. Kay works the ankle, Nicole blows it off to hit a DVD and trade roll ups. Kay ends up on top with a bridge to take it and calls out Thunder Rosa after the match. They worked fairly well here but nothing to write home about. Savoy sells her knee after the match, whether that's related to the match at all is up to the viewer.

NWA National Champion Aaron Stevens does a little rap about retaining his title.

Ruby Raze/Cece Chanel
Cece is an Australian kickboxer and adrenaline junkie and Ruby is the "Equal Opportunity Ass Kicker". Chanel moves well and takes control but makes the mistake of going for a Tiger Driver a few times and being countered every time. Raze just clubbers Chanel, including a nice knee lift, and wins with a Beach Break. Short match, both women looked good although I imagine Cece will be the one to end up in NXT shortly as she has 'the look'.

Jack Cartwright/Robert Baines
Jack backflips to the ring but nothing matches Robert coming out with a weight belt and a big lumpy helmet because he's a doomsday prepper. Once the helmet is off, Baines looks like a member of the Geek Squad who's had one too many energy drinks so he's living the gimmick. True to his promise, Cartwright does at least a cartwheel or two before every move. Jack misses a smooth Shooting Star and submits to the Baines Kill Shoot, which is half-nelson sleeper. Baines is shorter than the ref and it ruins any intimidation he can garner from a squash. Great helmet though, wish it blew smoke or something.

NWA National Title Match
Trevor Murdoch/Aaron Stevens (c)
Hell yeah, third degree black belt in Mongrovian karate, Aaron Stevens. They brawl to start and Murdoch comes out on top, even chucking Stevens off the ramp, until the champ comes back by blinding Murdoch with a stage light and kicking him in the hurt business. Murdoch hits a great fat boy crossbody off the top for 2 and still has a great right hand. Rolling elbow gets 2 for Stevens but Murdoch reverses a Sunset Flip for the pin and the title! Felt like things were just picking up when the finish came. Post-match promo from Murdoch is great, he thanks his family for putting up with his shit.

Very solid hour and a half of wrestling. The lack of crowd didn't hurt as much as I though it would and I was entertained all the way through.

• Like 1

https://youtu.be/xUocg1B4sB4

TalkDown 2.12
PARENTAL WARNINGS: smoking, strong language, scenes of violence
ORIGINAL AIRDATE: October 6, 2020

We look at the upcoming "Sunday Stunday" on October 25 in Summerland, and we have major news about the show! Chucky Lee Ray has comments about a pending match that day...and Marty Sugar gets quite a bit off his chest. Also a match from our first show on 11/11/11 featuring KC Spinelli, Raven Lake, KC Andrews and MAD DOG Marty Sugar

Seven promo battles this week, as nearly everyone is jockeying for final position heading into the Season Two finale on October 13. Please remember to post your COMPLETE ballots (picking a winner or a draw for every battle), by Wednesday, October 7 at 9pm, Pacific. HAVE YOUR SAY!

MATCH ONE:
Johnny Dean
Lance Skullz
DRAW

MATCH TWO:
Blu Wilder
Zilla
DRAW

MATCH THREE:
Jordie Taylor
Casey Peake
DRAW