DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL Draft - 4/23 - 4/25/20

Gonzo

12 hours ago, cubbymark said:

Miami bought into the SECSPN hype on Tua. I think they really screwed up.

If Tua flops as a pro, I imagine it will have more to do with the fact that he was drafted by the Dolphins than anything else.  I mean, he’s coming off a career-threatening injury and he’s been drafted by a career-threatening franchise...the odds are officially against him.

• Like 1

If Tua busts--for health reasons or otherwise--I still think it was the right pick at the time. If you don't have a great quarterback, and you think someone on the board might be one, you take him. Getting that position right matters so much more than anything else, and they have plenty of other picks to fill out the roster. 

The response to the Edwards-Helaire pick in Kansas City is... interesting. Mostly it's 1) He's a good player; 2) He's a great fit; 3) He improves the offense; 4) It's still a bad choice.

I realize running back value is essentially opposite of a quarterback's, and the argument thus follows that you should never really invest heavily in the position. And while it's true that the bellcow running back is a template best left in the past, I think it's an oversimplification. It's not that running backs don't matter per se, it's more that the running game doesn't matter nearly as much as the passing game. CEH makes the passing game better. The Chiefs surely noted that Mahomes' YPA dropped from 9.5 with Hunt in the backfield to 8.5 with Williams, and 7.9 with anyone else. 

There's great CB and WR depth in this draft, so I'm confident solid additions will be made there anyway. 

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 1

Things worked out really interestingly for Miami. They came into the season looking like they were going to set a new standard in tanking, presumably because they wanted Tua. Prior to their bye week, they weren't just winless, they were playing legitimately the worst football in NFL history. They came back from the break looking a lot more competitive, and then somehow won five of their last nine, totally sinking the tank.

Except Tua got hurt, questions about his recovery (especially because the pademic prevented team doctors from examining him personally) and concerns that he might be injury prone (two serious ankle injuries before the hip) caused him to drop right into their laps anyway. If Tua has recovered and stays mostly healthy, Miami basically just had the best possible outcome. They didn't force their fans to sit through the worst season ever, they had young guys and their new coach show potential, and they still got the seeming generational talent at QB.

• Like 1

Easily the worst thing about this Draft is how heavily they’re leaning on the players’ family tragedies to fill TV time.  In some cases, it’s literally as soon as they announce the pick, they’re talking about The Worst Day of This Guy’s Life.  Fuck.  Nobody wants to hear that shit, least of all the guys who are supposed to be having one of the happiest days of their lives.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Jalen Hurts to the Eagles.  Oh shit business is about to pick up on sports radio this week

Every WIP segment  WILL start with this song:

Very interesting that Mel Kiper’s takeaway from Jalen Hurts’ collegiate career arc is “He’s happy being a backup.”  Pretty sure it was the exact opposite.  

When he showed up at Bama as a freshman, he didn’t even talk to the QBs ahead of him on the depth chart because they were the enemy to him.  Wentz better watch himself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Easily the worst thing about this Draft is how heavily they’re leaning on the players’ family tragedies to fill TV time.  In some cases, it’s literally as soon as they announce the pick, they’re talking about The Worst Day of This Guy’s Life.  Fuck.  Nobody wants to hear that shit, least of all the guys who are supposed to be having one of the happiest days of their lives.

I understand that they're going for trying to include an angle to make all the players seem more human to people, but yeah... some of these are "I don't need to know this about you when being introduced, this is too much information".

So apparently Washington and Minnesota had some sort of trade involving Trent Williams yesterday that fell apart at the last minute.

The Skins claim it was because Williams refused to be traded to the Vikings

Williams says that is bullshit and he didn't block it