DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling Best of 2019 Part 1 - 12/28/19

I don’t know why this was on a Saturday and not Tuesday. Maybe it was pre-emoted in account of Christmas Eve? Maybe they took New Japans time slot? I really don’t know but I do know that I watched it.

I haven’t really seen much of Impact in 2019 so this was all new to me. They aired (clipped) Eddie Edwards vs Moose from Homecoming, The five way X Division Ladder match from Bound For Glory, LAX vs Lucha Bros from Homecoming, Michael Elgin vs Marufugi from Bound for Glory and Sami Callihan vs Brain Cage on the AXS Debut.

Eddie vs Moose was fun, heel Moose may be the best Moose and Crazy Eddie is the best Eddie. They are in the Asylum so it’s fitting the brawl around the crowd and dive off the railing like the old PPV Days so that was nice. Moose took a crazy back body over the top through a guardrail, holy shit Is all I can say about that. 

The ladder match featured an eclectic cast of characters Tessa Blanchard, Jake Crist, Ace Austin, Daga and Acey Romero and was a fun spot fest. Tessa holds her own in there with the boys. Acey Romero’s size works to his advantage as his much smaller opponents just bounce off him. Acey is so big that he has to use to ladders and it results in Jake hitting a cutter he n Acey off the ladder. I though that was cool. Daga reminds me of Davey Richards not necessarily in style but definitely in appearance. There’s another spot where Tessa (with some struggle) tipped over the ladder and Acey went sailing through a table on the outside. Reckless but cool as hell to witness. The Tessa-Sami thing runs deep as OVE run in and take Tessa back but it backfired on them. I really hope Tessa defeats Sami at Hard To Kill. 

LAX vs Lucha Bro’s was really good as to be expected both teams are so great and together the chemistry is through the roof. Fun watch. I’ve recently watched these two teams match on the AAA NY show and this match from Homecoming clipped and all may be my favorite of the 2. This match with the four competitors involved with where they were in January as to where they are in December is a testament to how strange and exciting pro wrestling has been in 2019. 

Elgin vs Marufugi was snug. It was hard hitting to say the least. Elgin is built like a brick shithouse and was hitting toupe’s. Everyone dives nowadays, it’s pretty cool. Marufugi dove out of the ring too. He’s every bit as awesome as he was the last time I saw him in that match with Okada. There’s a ton of suplexes and the trading of open fist strikes which didn’t surprise me. The crow enjoyed it.

I’ve seen the Cage Match before and it was every bit as awesome as it was when I first saw it. There’s blood there’s violence it’s everything you want from cable wrestling. They aired this match in its entirety which makes sense it was the main event of the program plus it already had commercial breaks in it.

The first 3 Year End Awards where announced with the last 3 being On announced next week’s broadcast. Taya Valkyrie took Knockout of the year, Taya’s the longest reigning Knockouts Champion so that makes sense. Taya cut a promo from her kitchen in an evening gown pearls and a fur coat, she was very self serving in her acceptance speech. 

Willie Mack got The One To Watch in 2020 Award. They aired a match between Mack and Tre Miguel from an Impact. Match was competitive but naturally it was a Willie Mack showcase. For being a heavier guy, Willie Mack is very agile, I dig that standing moonsault.

Moment of the year is Sami Callihan Winning the World Title. I’ve seen the match abs I agree it may be moment of the year. Sami cut a brief but scathing promo. 

• Like 2