DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Gonzo

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The FA QB market is growing by one

I love fricken Cowherd talking this up like it’s going to lead to New England winning the Super Bowl next year. ? Their receivers still suck, they have no run game, and Dalton is definitely a down grade from old man Brady.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

I love fricken Cowherd talking this up like it’s going to lead to New England winning the Super Bowl next year. ? Their receivers still suck, they have no run game, and Dalton is definitely a down grade from old man Brady.

I agree that Dalton with the Patriots wouldn't amount to much compared to their standards but I would definitely take Dalton over Stidman or the rookies they have drafted.  

The funny thing about Dalton is how Redskins fans are so lucky that Gruden was fired because they are 100% positive that Dalton would be signed if he was still the coach

Edited by hammerva

Rodgers is going to finish his career with the Bears, the Lions and finally, the Vikings after we trade him during the season for some magic beans and Mitch Trubisky.

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I hate sports media. They're worse than the talking heads in other fields who just say shit to garner reactions, but secretly don't really give a shit because it makes money.

• Like 1

Atlanta has traded an "undisclosed draft pick" (probably a 7 next year) to Miami for Charles Harris.  Good riddance. 

Also, Miami cut Taco Charlton.

On 4/28/2020 at 10:10 AM, Dewar said:

MLB has never had an all-star weekend. The game is played in the middle of the week every season.

Well yeah, but there are no games aside from the ASG for that entire week so they send all the hosts to the Pro-Am, and if you don't give a flying fuck about golf, especially non-PGA golf, or the Home Run Derby, than it's just awful.

Edited by Southside Jim

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

I agree that Dalton with the Patriots wouldn't amount to much compared to their standards but I would definitely take Dalton over Stidman or the rookies they have drafted.  

The funny thing about Dalton is how Redskins fans are so lucky that Gruden was fired because they are 100% positive that Dalton would be signed if he was still the coach

The idea that Andy Dalton is a redhead Nathan Peterman is one of these totally ridiculous narratives that gets thrown around by people and it's beyond baffling. He has been an above average QB and even now if you put him in the right situation he could definitely be successful. He is the perfect example of how the lazy football media always shits on the Bengals when if they bothered to look at the facts there are quite a few teams who have had much less success over the past decade (Mel Kipper calling Screamin' A on his bullshit was amazing). 

Dalton has had a weird career. He seemed to skip directly from "young QB on the rise" to "veteran QB in decline" without ever stopping off at "in his prime"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

Well yeah, but there are no games aside from the ASG for that entire week so they send all the hosts to the Pro-Am, and if you don't give a flying fuck about golf, especially non-PGA golf, or the Home Run Derby, than it's just awful.

They play Sunday, Home Run Derby on Monday, ASG on Tuesday night, Wednesday is a day off for everyone, they run a nationally telivised marquee game on the Thursday night, and a full slate of games resume on Friday. There is literally one day without baseball, and it falls on a day of the week that there's no golf being played.

34 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

That’s actually a semi smart investment for Jerry to make. With all the offensive talent that team has Dalton could do some damage (and is quite possibly the 3rd best quarterback in the division already). 

Now if I was the agent of Dakota Rayne I’d stop screwing around, accept the $30-35 mil per he’s being offered (which is way more than he’s worth), and shut the hell up.

Or they can play the worlds dumbest game of chicken, and find out in free agency next year that his client isn’t worth Patrick Mahomes money (the 40+ a year he’s supposedly demanding).

Calling Dalton albino Tony Romo would be an insult to Tony Romo. Besides if you really don't think Dak is the long-term answer, you should want him to play out the string with the franchise tag on him so the Cowboys don't lock him up to any kind of high dollar QB contract. Admittedly I'm biased since Dak is the only QB (that played for my favorite college team) that I can even remember making an NFL roster. You're right though. He did have multiple games last year where he failed to lead the team to a single TD drive and others where they were shut out after an impressive opening TD drive. That's inexcusable even if Zeke had the breakaway speed of a guy afflicted with chronic liquid shits following his little "pay me or fuck off" offseason sabbatical to Mexico. That's why I'm all for the shit or get off the pot approach with the franchise tag. As far as Dak and his agents are concerned, if he plays his way to a long-term payday, that's even better. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell

There's only one man who can claim the title of the Greatest of all Time.  This is him:

0*ZvWh_P2YVKyDD8-J.jpg

Don Shula has passed away this morning at the age of 90.   Goodbye to the greatest coach ever.  And thank you for the memories. 

• Sad 2

I feel like Casey Kaseem with the dog death dedication right now but...

The NFL is still planning on going full steam ahead with the schedule release and pretending everything is fine

The only notable thing so far is that reports are they were will be no international games this year

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I feel like Casey Kaseem with the dog death dedication right now but...

The NFL is still planning on going full steam ahead with the schedule release and pretending everything is fine

The only notable thing so far is that reports are they were will be no international games this year

They've been upfront and said several times that the schedule is tentative and may have to be amended based on world events.  

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

42 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

There's only one man who can claim the title of the Greatest of all Time.  This is him:

0*ZvWh_P2YVKyDD8-J.jpg

Don Shula has passed away this morning at the age of 90.   Goodbye to the greatest coach ever.  And thank you for the memories. 

RIP to the GOAT. Here's hoping the franchise can return to greatness in his honor.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2020 at 1:09 AM, FluffSnackwell said:

Calling Dalton albino Tony Romo would be an insult to Tony Romo. Besides if you really don't think Dak is the long-term answer, you should want him to play out the string with the franchise tag on him so the Cowboys don't lock him up to any kind of high dollar QB contract. Admittedly I'm biased since Dak is the only QB (that played for my favorite college team) that I can even remember making an NFL roster. You're right though. He did have multiple games last year where he failed to lead the team to a single TD drive and others where they were shut out after an impressive opening TD drive. That's inexcusable even if Zeke had the breakaway speed of a guy afflicted with chronic liquid shits following his little "pay me or fuck off" offseason sabbatical to Mexico. That's why I'm all for the shit or get off the pot approach with the franchise tag. As far as Dak and his agents are concerned, if he plays his way to a long-term payday, that's even better. 

Good point about Prescott.  He's a great example of total numbers being a little misleading.  He threw 30 touchdowns last year, which sounds really good.  But 20 of them came in just 6 games with 10 in the other 10.  Those 6 games are awesome but...man, you can't have your QB throwing 10 TDs over 10 games, even if you're cherry-picking like I did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Good point about Prescott.  He's a great example of total numbers being a little misleading.  He threw 30 touchdowns last year, which sounds really good.  But 20 of them came in just 6 games with 10 in the other 10.  Those 6 games are awesome but...man, you can't have your QB throwing 10 TDs over 10 games, even if you're cherry-picking like I did.

Also worth pointing out that 17 of those TDs were against 3 of the worst teams in the NFL last year (7 against the Giants over 2 games, 7 against the Skins over 2 games, and 3 against the Lions)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How anyone can try justifying Dak being worth Mahomes level money (or even 35+ million a year) is beyond me. Last year the Cowboys had 7 games against playoff teams. Here’s the wonderful stats that Rayne Dakota put up:

New Orleans 0 TD, 1 INT

Green Bay 2 TD, 3 INT

Philadelphia (G1) 1 TD, 1 INT 

Minnesota 3 TD, 1 INT

New England 0 TD, 1 INT

Buffalo 2 TD, 1 INT, 1 Fumble Lost 

Philadelphia (G2) 0 TD, 0 INT 

8 TDs, 8 INTs, 1 Fumble Lost over 7 games, Team Record 1-6

Now those are some pretty awesome stats huh? And clearly MVP/Highest paid QB in the league worthy. But to take it a step further let’s look at what two of (in my opinion the two best) the best young QBs in football did last year against playoff competition. Then maybe someone can explain why Rayne Dakota should be paid as much as them:

Deshaun Watson

New Orleans 3 TD, 1 INT

Kansas City 1 TD, 2 INT

Baltimore 0 TD, 1 INT, 1 Fumble Lost

New England 3 TD, 0 INT

Tennessee (G1) 2 TD, 2 INT

9 TDs, 6 INTs, 1 Fumble Lost 3-2 Record

Patrick Mahomes 

Baltimore 3 TD, 0 INT

Houston 3 TD, 1 INT, 1 Fumble Lost

Tennessee 3 TD, 0 INT

New England 1 TD, 1 INT

10 TDs, 2 INTs, 1 Fumble Lost 2-2 Record

And just for fun let’s see what Kirk Cousins looks like:

Green Bay (G1) 1 TD, 2 INT, 1 Fumble Lost

Philadelphia 4 TD, 1 INT

Kansas City 3 TD, 0 INT 

Dallas 2 TD, 0 INT

Seattle 2 TD, 1 INT

Green Bay (G2) 1 TD, 1 INT

13 TDs, 5 INTs, 1 Fumble Lost 2-4 Record

So yeah even Kirk Cousins had better stats against playoff teams last year than Dak. ? ?

Edited by MavsFan77
Added comparison stats