DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Gonzo

19 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I have no idea or care about the argument, but Michael Thomas had the highest catch rate of any WR in the NFL last year. It's not just they threw to him a lot, it's that he caught everything thrown near him.

In fact, it was the second straight year he led the league in catch rate.

My issue with that is as follows. Six of his games every year come against Tampa, Atlanta, and Carolina. Which of those 3 teams has a decent DB let alone one that can cover a good receiver? 53 of his catches last year were against those teams, and in 2018 53 of them again came against those weak teams. 

I won’t deny he has talent, but you can’t tell me if he and Julio Jones (first good wide receiver I thought of) swapped places that Julio’s stats wouldn’t be as good or better. His numbers are better, because a) he’s being thrown the ball more, and b) Brees is much better than Matt Ryan.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I have no idea or care about the argument, but Michael Thomas had the highest catch rate of any WR in the NFL last year. It's not just they threw to him a lot, it's that he caught everything thrown near him.

In fact, it was the second straight year he led the league in catch rate.

And was 70th in yards/reception.

But yeah, he's a frickin' crybaby. Has a thing for going after the Vikings when they lose in the playoffs, which is funny since the last two Vikings' playoff losses have been preceded by victories over New Orleans.

Edited by Gonzo
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

My issue with that is as follows. Six of his games every year come against Tampa, Atlanta, and Carolina. Which of those 3 teams has a decent DB let alone one that can cover a good receiver? 53 of his catches last year were against those teams, and in 2018 53 of them again came against those weak teams. 

I won’t deny he has talent, but you can’t tell me if he and Julio Jones (first good wide receiver I thought of) swapped places that Julio’s stats wouldn’t be as good or better. His numbers are better, because a) he’s being thrown the ball more, and b) Brees is much better than Matt Ryan.

Here's the thing about comparing Julio Jones, OBJ, or any other elite receiver to Michael Thomas.  All of those dudes are much better athletes than him.  Julio Jones is pretty much the physical ideal of a wide receiver, but Michael Thomas has been out performing him for a couple years.  At this point in their careers, Matt Ryan isn't that big of a step down from Drew Brees.  Michael Thomas has to do everything he does the hard way, because he can't just out athlete NFL cornerbacks.  He was being a dick, but he wasn't wrong.

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Here's the thing about comparing Julio Jones, OBJ, or any other elite receiver to Michael Thomas.  All of those dudes are much better athletes than him.  Julio Jones is pretty much the physical ideal of a wide receiver, but Michael Thomas has been out performing him for a couple years.  At this point in their careers, Matt Ryan isn't that big of a step down from Drew Brees.  Michael Thomas has to do everything he does the hard way, because he can't just out athlete NFL cornerbacks.  He was being a dick, but he wasn't wrong.

How many good defenses did he face last season? The one game I found impressive versus a good D was against the 49ers, but he still had four missed targets, and a fumble in that game. 

As for your dating Ryan isn’t a big step down the stats would go in my favor. Drew Brees had a 74.3 completion percentage last season, where as Matt Ryan was at 66.2 percent. Those 8 percentage points are huge, and show that Drew throws a more accurate, and catchable ball. Plus he threw ten fewer picks which shows he’s not forcing the ball as much thus making it easier on his receivers too. And in the previous year his completion percentage was 5 points higher than Ryan’s too. 

26 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

How many good defenses did he face last season? The one game I found impressive versus a good D was against the 49ers, but he still had four missed targets, and a fumble in that game. 

As for your dating Ryan isn’t a big step down the stats would go in my favor. Drew Brees had a 74.3 completion percentage last season, where as Matt Ryan was at 66.2 percent. Those 8 percentage points are huge, and show that Drew throws a more accurate, and catchable ball. Plus he threw ten fewer picks which shows he’s not forcing the ball as much thus making it easier on his receivers too. And in the previous year his completion percentage was 5 points higher than Ryan’s too. 

I'd be willing to bet that the difference between completion percentages is based on how often Ryan is asked to throw the ball down field relative to how rarely Brees is asked to throw the ball downfield.  One of their primary receivers is a big, tall, super athlete who can take the top off the defense.  The other one's is a big, relatively slow receiver who thrives in shorter routes where he can use his body to keep smaller defenders from the ball.  He's the perfect receiver for that offense.

As an aside, Jameis Winston does not make any sense in that offense.  Winston pretty much only throws the ball downfield, it's one of the reasons he throws so many picks.  

So, the Cowboys have leaked that Dak Prescott turned down a 5/175 contract (average of $35m). 

For his part, Dak is asking for $45M+ per year (which would work out to 5/225). Twitter is, of course, now sizing up their Andy Dalton Cowboys' jerseys. 

I swear to fucking God, if Dak ends up in Boston... 

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

For his part, Dak is asking for $45M+ per year (which would work out to 5/225).

Granted I don't follow a whole host of NFL people on Twitter, but I haven't seen any real number for what Dak is asking for outside the speculation that it's probably north of 40.

Good for the Bills.  I wonder when the Jets and Giants get to come back. 

Spoiler

Yes, I know the Jets practice on Long Island, you pedantic ass. ?  Stop ruining my joke.

• Haha 1

Yes. I was thinking of you two.  

Stephen Ross was on CNBC this morning and said the NFL season is "definitely" happening.  And the current plan is to have fans in the stands.  

So I'm guessing Mr. Ross has an inside line on when that vaccine's gonna be ready cause otherwise...  ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I mean, you can *plan* on having people in the stands.  Weither you do or not is a different question.

I suspect we won't be able to tell the difference with LA.

• Haha 2

Good. That 4th and 15 gives too much opportunity to the "kicking" team for my taste, unless you nuke defense holding and PI on the play.  Current rules suck, just go back to the old way, concussions be damned. . .

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 11:43 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yes. I was thinking of you two.  

Stephen Ross was on CNBC this morning and said the NFL season is "definitely" happening.  And the current plan is to have fans in the stands.  

So I'm guessing Mr. Ross has an inside line on when that vaccine's gonna be ready cause otherwise...  ?

Oh, there'll be fans, maybe 15,000-20,000 instead of 65,000, but I'm fairly confident we'll have fans in the stands.

The 49ers, Rams, and Raiders will all probably have to play their home games at neutral sites unless the lawsuits against Gavin Newsom's lockdown orders succeed 

I think the November/December games, after the "second peak" will have the most demand on the secondary market, as people will be REALLY eager for things to return to normal by that point, lack of vaccine be damned.

Edited by Southside Jim

13 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

Oh, there'll be fans, maybe 15,000-20,000 instead of 65,000, but I'm fairly confident we'll have fans in the stands.

The 49ers, Rams, and Raiders will all probably have to play their home games at neutral sites unless the lawsuits against Gavin Newsom's lockdown orders succeed 

I think the November/December games, after the "second peak" will have the most demand on the secondary market, as people will be REALLY eager for things to return to normal by that point, lack of vaccine be damned.

The Raiders will be fine since they moved to Vegas, and are no longer California residents. 

Also isn’t the “second peak” supposed to be around flu season? Which means the November/December games will most likely be cancelled assuming there’s an outbreak in the league. Since November is usually the start of flu season.

• Sad 1