DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Gonzo

46 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

Are the Cleveland Browns the first team to play back-to-back road games at MetLife Stadium?

No Miami did it last year (and it is possible it has happened before that also)

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

No Miami did it last year (and it is possible it has happened before that also)

Bills opened last season with back to back game at that charmless dump. I should know as I was at the one vs the Jets to open the season and partied with all my fellow Bills Mafia members (was granted honorary lifetime membership in the wake of The Red Rifle shooting the ratbirds out of the sky).

Edited by sabremike
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

Are the Cleveland Browns the first team to play back-to-back road games at MetLife Stadium?

Also, got tickets to Week 1, Redskins vs. Eagles.

So excited, my first opening week game!

No, the Bills did it this past season. . . . and I need to read to the end of the thread. . .LOL

Edited by Kuetsar

The short version of this is the Bears have declined the option on Mitchell Trubisky.

---

The long version is, someone rightly pointed out they picked Trubisky  ahead of Mahomes and Watson. And people speculated about if Mahomes and Watson were white, might they have gotten more looks....

To which several people clutched their pearls mightily...  

Enter DeShaun...

For what it’s worth - multiple people have pointed out that Watson (on the record) said that he talked to the Bears before the draft (this was in the lead up to the 2017 draft)

So good to see he already has old man brain

12 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

The short version of this is the Bears have declined the option on Mitchell Trubisky.

---

The long version is, someone rightly pointed out they picked Trubisky  ahead of Mahomes and Watson. And people speculated about if Mahomes and Watson were white, might they have gotten more looks....

To which several people clutched their pearls mightily...  

Enter DeShaun...

Here's the thing about drafting Trubisky over Deshaun Watson.  Based on their college careers, you had to talk your way out of drafting Watson, but you'd have to talk your way into drafting Trubisky.  Trubisky was pretty good in college, but Watson was superior in every single way.  It's kind of like the 2011 draft where there were people all over the place talking about drafting a quarterback not named Cam Newton.  The draft isn't an exact science, and there is no such thing as a sure thing, but Trubisky is not an NFL talent and it's been pretty apparent from day one.  There has not been a second of Deshaun Watson's career where you watched him and thought, "I don't think he can play at this level."  Every time I ever watched Trubisky that thought crossed my mind.  Even his good games were filled with moments that made you shake your head at how incompetent he looked.  The crazy thing about it is that they played in the same conference, and one was a Heisman finalist and a National Champion and the other was Trubisky.  Deshaun Watson was more talented, more accomplished, and better known prospect, and the Bears still talked themselves into Trubisky.  It may be racial, it may not be racial, but how often does a less talented, less accomplished, lesser known black quarterback been drafted over a more talented, more accomplished, more well known white quarterback.  

• Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 7:12 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

There's only one man who can claim the title of the Greatest of all Time.  This is him:

0*ZvWh_P2YVKyDD8-J.jpg

Don Shula has passed away this morning at the age of 90.   Goodbye to the greatest coach ever.  And thank you for the memories. 

I was bored a week ago so I started looking up sports records that are likely to never be broken. Check this shit out:

Don Shula has 328 career wins as a head coach (347 if you cound playoffs), and he retired at age 65. Bill Belichick is closes to breaking that record and he is at 273, but he's also 68 and the Patriots are starting a rebuild. 

Shula coached for 33 seasons and only TWICE did he finish below .500. 20 of those 33 seasons were double digit wins. 

Dude was definitely the best that ever walked a sideline. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

I was bored a week ago so I started looking up sports records that are likely to never be broken. Check this shit out:

Don Shula has 328 career wins as a head coach (347 if you cound playoffs), and he retired at age 65. Bill Belichick is closes to breaking that record and he is at 273, but he's also 68 and the Patriots are starting a rebuild. 

Shula coached for 33 seasons and only TWICE did he finish below .500. 20 of those 33 seasons were double digit wins. 

Dude was definitely the best that ever walked a sideline. 

Shula is also one of those coaches who won in every way possible.  He coached Johnny Unitas and Dan Marino and threw the ball all over the field, but won two Superbowls with Brian Griese throwing 12 passes a game.  

There really is no sport that has changed more era to era than football. Black and white era games, at this point, might as well be footage from Mars. The 70's were basically deathmatch wrestling but with a ball. The ability to actually coach through multiple ages of this sport is honestly pretty rare, just in general.

• Like 2

When I got into looking at just who would be a contender to break Shula's wins record there really isn't anyone. The Hoodie can do it but I don't see him winning 11-12 games a year without Brady (and he needs 55 so it would realistically take him at best 4 or 5 seasons) Andy Reid would have to coach another 10-12 years to have a shot as he's 122 away but he's already 62. The only guy who MAY have a chance is Mike Tomlin as he's only 48 and already has 135 wins. But even then, not only would he have to coach another 20 years he would have to average 10 wins a season each of those 20 years. 

Edited by BrianS81177

I honestly wasn't bothered by Booger last year. When he was in that cart randomly interjecting things, he was awful, but I don't think he'd have made my bottom five color guys last season.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something that doesn't get enough hatred were those handful of college games in 2015 where ABC had Chris Spielman standing on a modified camera crane giving his "feel of the game" and trying to wax philosophical on a noon kickoff game nobody cared about.

Not as dumb as the Booger Mobile, but close to it.

LT only wanted out of the deal when he found out the Giants deal was worth twice as much.  Someone in the NFLPA sent LT to Trump and told him to go without representation. LTs agent at the time wrote a great book years ago.  Trump got $750,000 out of the Giants. He probably was holding out for a percentage of the team

On 5/9/2020 at 6:54 PM, supremebve said:

Shula is also one of those coaches who won in every way possible.  He coached Johnny Unitas and Dan Marino and threw the ball all over the field, but won two Superbowls with Brian Griese throwing 12 passes a game.  

*Bob  ? 

(Side note - I went to high school with Brian Griese, sat next to him in AP English.  If he said more than a sentence a month, it was a lot.)

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Boy do I not want to see that list for the Bears...

1. Jay Cutler (51)
  2. Jim McMahon (46)
  3. Ed Brown (39)
  4. Jim Harbaugh (35)
  5. Billy Wade (27)
  6. Bob Avellini (23)
  7. Mitch Trubisky (23)
  8. Mike Tomczak (21)
  9. Kyle Orton (21)
  10. Rex Grossman (19)

Note this is just regular season wins so it would tweak slightly if including postseason

• Haha 2