DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Gonzo

Cam is also a victim of the absolute worst officiating imaginable. I can't recall another big time QB who received as little protection from the refs as he did. The last 2 or 3 years he was getting killed out there. Just murdered with targeting hits without any flags thrown, no flags thrown for any obvious roughing the passer penalties, etc. I hate to be like "well if it was Tom Brady a million flags would have been thrown," but if it was Tom Brady, a million flags would have been thrown. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Robert C said:

That and his team seemed perfectly happy to send him back out to get murdered all over again, even when he clearly had no business being on the field.

Oh god, that too. At some point you have to ignore the player saying they're ok and realize that no one is that tough. Riverboat Ron is out there doing his best Steve Mazzagatti impression and just letting Cam die out there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh god, that too. At some point you have to ignore the player saying they're ok and realize that no one is that tough. Riverboat Ron is out there doing his best Steve Mazzagatti impression and just letting Cam die out there.

I have a friend who is a friend of the Washington team, and he was telling me how excited he was about having Ron Rivera as the head coach.  I just looked at him and said, "you do realize Cam Newton isn't coming with him, right?"  Rivera is like Bill O'Brien to me.  If he had anyone else playing quarterback he would have been fired years ago, but Cam kept bailing him out.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, supremebve said:

I have a friend who is a friend of the Washington team, and he was telling me how excited he was about having Ron Rivera as the head coach.  I just looked at him and said, "you do realize Cam Newton isn't coming with him, right?"  Rivera is like Bill O'Brien to me.  If he had anyone else playing quarterback he would have been fired years ago, but Cam kept bailing him out.  

Seems like a stretch.

1 hour ago, Rocco said:

Seems like a stretch.

It isn't a 1:1 comparison, but Ron Rivera's offensive scheme seemed to be a lot of, "we got Cam, let's see what happens."  He didn't get the nickname "Riverboat Ron," because of his sound decision making.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've already decided that at the end of this ordeal to make up for lost time I am going to Cincy for the Bengals home opener. Round trip airfare in September looks to be roughly $140 and I'm pretty sure I can find a hostel to keep expenses down a bit.

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

Over/Under 1 total snap for the rest of Eric Reid's career.  I'm going with under, and if they could subtract games from his career they would.  With that said, the players association should make him the president, because he seems to be the only one paying attention.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

Over/Under 1 total snap for the rest of Eric Reid's career.  I'm going with under, and if they could subtract games from his career they would.  With that said, the players association should make him the president, because he seems to be the only one paying attention.

Yeah, I'm right there with you.  Not another snap for Mr. Reid.

Wild Card week will do three games on Saturday and three on Sunday to accommodate everything.  

Additionally... there will be a simulcast of the CBS game on Nickelodeon tailored for a younger audience. 

I'm assuming they'll be brought to you by the letters "C", "T", and "E".

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Yeah, I'm right there with you.  Not another snap for Mr. Reid.

The number one thing the NFLPA should have been fighting for is that they couldn't arbitrarily be blackballed for taking a political stand.  Reid's about to be gone, mostly for standing up for himself and speaking out against things he finds unjust.

• Like 5

On 3/29/2020 at 9:29 AM, Infinit said:

I know it's not the old Deadspin, but here's a pretty on point article about Jameis and where he stands after 5 years (and I'm not the biggest Jamie's fan)

https://deadspin.com/you-know-who-jameis-winston-looks-like-after-five-seaso-1842526841

Article isn't that on point.  Trying to make statistical comparisons on 5 year bunches except the other QB's trended upwards or were at the downside of their careers Jameis is trending the wrong way in protecting the ball.  If they want to talk about the Arians effect that offense is a big reason he threw for all those yards.  Bruce Arians is the biggest reason he isn't the starting QB in Tampa anymore since Bruce didn't look exactly thrilled with the prospect of having him there next year. Beginning of the season Arians said in a quote 70% of Jameis issues are his decision making.  By end of season Arians probably figured out it was 100% of his issues.  Then of course throw in the obviously they hate him cause he's Black stuff too.  I've watched enough football in my lifetime a QB can throw for video game yards and TD's but the biggest job for the QB is too make the team believe they can win and inspire them.  Brett Favre is probably a good comperable for Winston.  Brett should have won a few SB's but his dumbfuckery got in the way.  Tampa could keep Winston for another 10 years and he isn't the guy that will get them over the hump because he will find a way to hit that DB in between the number for a pick 6 in the most back brakeingest time of the game

Edited by Serious Darius Bagfelt

Also missed while the board was down yesterday, was the clip of a clearly sleep-deprived Schefter getting furious on SportsCenter basically saying he doesn't see a way they're starting the season on time.  Since basically all OTA's are going to be cancelled and camps are almost certainly going to be delayed. 

Glasses McGee, or whatever the name of the host is, then cowardly throwing to commercials. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The adjustment came via a so-called “side letter” that was employed to make the final document accurately reflect the terms of the deal.

“It is correct that the final version of the 456-page CBA includes an additional subparagraph with a cross-reference to a section of the Disability Plan that the parties had inadvertently omitted in an earlier version,” the union explains to its members. “The final CBA corrected the omission, as the bargaining parties were required to do based on their agreement that ‘if any typographical errors or incorrect cross-references are found in the 2020-2030 Agreement, the parties will act in good faith to correct them’ (just as the parties had similarly agreed when finalizing the 2011 CBA). . . . This correction did not, however, change what had been agreed to with the NFL, what information had been provided to players, or what players had voted upon.”

Call me crazy, but if you have to add something that makes the document accurately reflect the terms of the deal...doesn't that mean that the original document was inaccurate?  If I'm someone who didn't agree with that shit to begin with...it would mean it was inaccurate as a muhfucka to me.

• Like 2