DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Gonzo

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

In what I assume will be a trend used by other teams, the parking lot of Fed Ex Field will be used as a coronavirus testing site.   It is good that after decades of making being sick that field is going to be used to help

Will Dan Snyder charge everyone who comes to the lot $100 or so bucks like they do for games?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

This is the ultimate problem the XFL has.  All the good players are going to the NFL every year.  While the players see this as a developmental or a 2nd chance, not sure the league was hoping for that.   

I think they 100% were hoping for that. If they can get some NFL funding to be their minor league/place to test new rules, it has staying power. 

• Like 2

The difference was the AAF was actively trying to get the NFL to accept them as a feeder system because they needed the NFL to survive. The final straw for that league was when the NFLPA voted to not having an affiliation with them. That was their Hail Mary to get the financing.

The XFL isn't courting the NFL but they aren't actively being hostile towards them.

Everyone knows with these leagues that all the players are really using it as a shot to get back into the NFL.

What helps the XFL is that if guys get signed by the NFL - that is a selling point for the league. Before this season started - a lot of guys were leery of joining the XFL because they thought it would hurt their NFL chances or they thought they were "too good" for the XFL.

Also - even if dudes get signed now and play the season, there will be plenty of guys dumped again who will be more than willing to go back to the XFL.

• Like 1

Kurt Warner's big breakout wound up being, temporarily, a huge boon for the Arena League. The XFL could use a guy jumping to the NFL and becoming a star, makes the league more interesting and worth watching.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Cam has officially been released

The Panthers also signed Robby Anderson

I'm really interested how Cam Newton's career plays out.  He was drafted in 2011 and is either the best or second best quarterback drafted until Patrick Mahomes was drafted in 2018.  He's the only one who's won an MVP, and his 2015 season is by far the best season that any quarterback from that era has had.  Russell Wilson is the only competition, but at his best he wasn't as unstoppable as Cam seemed that season, on a team where he was the only above average offensive weapon.  Not only that, he's a completely and totally unique talent.  If his career is just never the same, what is his legacy?  Opinions about him seem to vary greatly, and most of them have nothing to do with his play.  I hope it's not over, but he carried that team on his back for his entire career and his body might be permanently broken.

• Like 1