DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Gonzo

20 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Eh, I know it wasn't on the table, but I'd rather 2k do Mutant League Football.

Oh God I marked out so hard for that reference!

• Like 1

Also - the NFLPA board voted down a motion to allow players to change their vote.

In a PFT story about how Aaron Rodgers didn't show up (and because the alternate Mason Crosby couldn't make it either the Packers can't vote on anything) there was this

Rodgers clearly has influence, via his Twitter platform of 4.4 million followers and his standing within the league. As one source explained it to PFT on Tuesday morning, it’s believed that many of the players who would like to change their vote (the board voted against allowing it) want to change from no to yes.

“The power of Twitter is amazing,” the source said. “The players who play for the minimum had no idea they were f–king themselves because J.J. [Watt] or [Rodgers] told them to [vote no].”

Plenty of young players have been, and still are, completely disengaged from the process. As another source has consistently explained it, plenty of players are simply “playing Xbox and smoking weed.”

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Also - the NFLPA board voted down a motion to allow players to change their vote.

In a PFT story about how Aaron Rodgers didn't show up (and because the alternate Mason Crosby couldn't make it either the Packers can't vote on anything) there was this

Wait, I'm confused...I thought Rodgers voted no because the CBA sucked and was bad for players. So what's this about players realizing they were fucking themselves over?

Remember that the real fucked up evil the owners pulled this time was to give a deal that limited the top players' earning abilities, while increasing the lower tiered players salaries.  Plus no pot testing.

So the dynamic has very much been superstars vs. the rest of the league.  Some lower-tiered players voted No because people like Rodgers said to do so without looking at the details themselves. Someone else came along and told them to vote Yes and/or they actually read what was in the deal for them, and now they want to change their votes.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Wait, I'm confused...I thought Rodgers voted no because the CBA sucked and was bad for players. So what's this about players realizing they were fucking themselves over?

The CBA is bad if you are one of the uber rich/top tier players

It is a good/great deal by most accounts for the rank and file players - aka the ones who are out of the league within 3 years. (Per most reports)

A lot of players instantly voted no because of what those top tier players said. Then they saw the breakdown of the changes and where like "Hey wait a second!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Eh, I know it wasn't on the table, but I'd rather 2k do Mutant League Football.

There's actually a Mutant Football League game out there already. Think it came out about a year ago.

It's not bad.

And to go with what @Dolfan in NYC said - there are more "no" votes and than "yes" votes on the NFLPA board and thus a reason why they voted down the measure to allow people to change their votes (I mean there a plenty of other reasons for a no vote their - but the reason that jumps out is the "shit - they might actually pass this thing" reason)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Remember that the real fucked up evil the owners pulled this time was to give a deal that limited the top players' earning abilities, while increasing the lower tiered players salaries.  Plus no pot testing.

So the dynamic has very much been superstars vs. the rest of the league.  Some lower-tiered players voted No because people like Rodgers said to do so without looking at the details themselves. Someone else came along and told them to vote Yes and/or they actually read what was in the deal for them, and now they want to change their votes.   

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The CBA is bad if you are one of the uber rich/top tier players

It is a good/great deal by most accounts for the rank and file players - aka the ones who are out of the league within 3 years. (Per most reports)

A lot of players instantly voted no because of what those top tier players said. Then they saw the breakdown of the changes and where like "Hey wait a second!"

Ah ok, this all makes sense then. Even still, isn't the one part of the CBA that's universally reviled the 17 or 18 game season?

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Ah ok, this all makes sense then. Even still, isn't the one part of the CBA that's universally reviled the 17 or 18 game season?

Yes - though a lot of that is more (which the owners have already proven) that it will eventually jump to 18 games

However - the CBA being voted on - if approved - can't be changed for 10 years.

So again - won't really bother guys who are only in league for a few years.

And again - if all the pluses are true - it's like having to eat your broccoli with your steak dinner or something (basically - the owners are going to have to get their big thing for your to get all the other things)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The thing that I believe is the worst part is that the disability benefit is going from something like $250K to $48K.  That is just dastardly. 

The other thing is that they are clearly playing the younger players who won't be around very long against the players who are in the league for the long haul.  The players who won't have much time in the league can get the players into a situation where they can't renegotiate if there is an influx of new revenue.  The owners have put in a provision that the players cannot renegotiate if the circumstances change for 10 years.  For instance, if gambling is legalized and the league is able to monetize that, it won't be included in the shared revenue.  All of that money will go to the owners.  

• Thanks 1

Tangential to the sports betting thing - both Maryland and Virginia have passed sports betting bills this week.

Why is that important?

Both have provisions to allow sports betting at whatever the new Redskins stadium will be.

So basically they are using sports betting as one of the lures to build in their state

• Like 1

And look at that JC Tretter is the new NFLPA President

Cleveland Browns center JC Tretter was elected NFLPA president by the Board of Representatives Tuesday afternoon during union meetings.

Tretter beat out New York Giants defensive back Michael Thomas and Tampa Bay Buccaneers linebacker Sam Acho for the president role. He won by a majority of the board members in the room on the first vote, a source told ESPN.

Many players related to Tretter because during a period where people were drawing a line in the sand on one side or the other, he sought to inform and educate players about the key points for the proposed CBA.

Tretter, 29, has a degree in industrial labor relations from Cornell. He's entering his eighth NFL season and he's been the Browns' starting center for the last three seasons. He was voted an alternate player rep for the Browns in 2018.

Tretter put together a detailed list of potential drawbacks for the new proposed CBA last week to balance the list of highlights that the NFLPA sent out as well. He was very diplomatic in his approach and his goal of keeping players informed and educated took priority over his own personal opinion of the CBA.

Thomas -- who voted "no" on the proposed CBA -- might earn the vote after Russell Okung dropped out to endorse him. Richard Sherman endorsed him as well. But the vote went to Tretter, who has been balanced in his approach to the CBA.

Falcons center Alex Mack was voted as the NFLPA's treasurer.

Tretter replaces Eric Winston, who has been the NFLPA president since March 2014. Winston wasn't eligible for another term because he didn't play in the NFL in 2019.

Here is the message referenced

• Like 1

Dallas has reportedly offered Dak Prescott a new contract worth an average of $33M per year, with a guarantee of $105M.  

No word on length, but I'm guessing at those numbers, it's probably in the 7-ish year range.

19 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Dallas has reportedly offered Dak Prescott a new contract worth an average of $33M per year, with a guarantee of $105M.  

No word on length, but I'm guessing at those numbers, it's probably in the 7-ish year range.

If he plays on the franchise tag for the next two years, he's guaranteed $36 million per (on average) so I'd be surprised if he takes this deal.

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

They were saying on ESPN this morning that approximately 500 players did not vote. 

The vote was 1019 - 959 and there are roughly 2500 players eligible to vote so...yeah