DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Gonzo

2 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Man, the players are so terrible at this negotiating thing.  They're going to get a big raise in minimum base salaries - congrats.  You've just guaranteed more guys get cut sooner than ever.  You added a 6% workload increase to yourselves while getting something a 1% increase in revenue.  Well done on that, math geniuses.  You've traded an extra week of games for everyone, and two weeks #2 seeds, in exchange for giving up a preseason game where half the roster doesn't play anyway.  Brilliant trade.

They're so thrilled to get 48.5% of the revenue when they should be asking for 65%.

And guaranteed salaries like the rest of pro sports. The owners really screw them over with these non-guaranteed deals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cubbymark said:

And guaranteed salaries like the rest of pro sports. The owners really screw them over with these non-guaranteed deals.

Good God, yes, how could I forget that.

• Like 1

Just now, cubbymark said:

I honestly think that ship has sailed.  The owners get over 50% of the revenue in a sport that leaves it's players with debilitating injuries.  The people who are not risking their bodies at all get over 50% of the revenue.  The other problem is that without players there are no games...you can change owners twice a week and the NFL wouldn't miss a beat.  If the players don't show up there is no game, if the owners don't show up it's business as usual.  On the best day as a player, one of them ends up injured...owners with sensitive teeth, who drink their scotch on the rocks, might hurt their teeth if they drink too fast.  

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I will give credit to Maurkice Pouncey who personally was promising to keep his teammates solvent in a lockout and calling on other stars and veterans to do the same.

Umm...I'm going to ask this to any of Maurkice Pouncey's teammates who may secretly post here.  Do you want Maurkice Pouncey with your financial future?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, but this is the opposite.  These are legitimately big, bad, tough people, who are publicly folding like card tables.

Except they're not, really. Some are physically big, yes. Most have been handed everything on a plate (scholarships, teacher fixing grades, etc). They never had to stand up for themselves before because people fell over themselves to suck them off. They have no idea how to endure any hardship because they never had to. So yeah, they fold easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

Except they're not, really. Some are physically big, yes. Most have been handed everything on a plate (scholarships, teacher fixing grades, etc). They never had to stand up for themselves before because people fell over themselves to suck them off. They have no idea how to endure any hardship because they never had to. So yeah, they fold easy.

This is an incredibly out of touch take on what it takes to get to the NFL.  There are different types of toughness, and I don't care what kind of toughness you have, it doesn't compare to the amount of sheer amount of toughness it takes to play NFL football...and that's not even counting all the other shit you had to do to get that far.  I get where you're coming from, but saying that these dudes don't know how to endure hardship is quite the opinion.

20 hours ago, Rocco said:

The other sports don't have guaranteed salaries either unless that how the contract is negotiated that way.

NHL, NBA and MLB players all receive the money the sign for, unless they retire before the contract expires. There's zero reason the league that makes the most money can't do this as well, other than they don't want to, and the NFLPA isn't solid enough to get them to do it. 

On 2/26/2020 at 8:40 AM, RIPPA said:

Also - apparently all that talk that the 17th game will be neutral site?

Yeah - it appears that was bullshit and basically half the league will have a extra home game. And then the other half will get an extra home game.

And the extra game will be intra-conference based on finish in your division and go on a rotation.

So like the last place team in the NFC East would play last place in AFC East and then the next year AFC North... etc... (like how the other games are currently determined)

That is too bad. i was really hoping the league would try and pull something stupid like hosting a Rams vs Cardinals game in St. Louis. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Dewar said:

NHL, NBA and MLB players all receive the money the sign for, unless they retire before the contract expires. There's zero reason the league that makes the most money can't do this as well, other than they don't want to, and the NFLPA isn't solid enough to get them to do it. 

Dude, that's why NBA players who haven't played in 3 years still get traded from time to time.  I remember Keith Van Horn got a whole new contract to make the money of a trade work, and never played a single game...and was paid despite never playing for the new team.  The amount of money that gets thrown around by these leagues makes me think that they can pay guarantee NFL contracts, but the owners have such a negotiating advantage that it will never happen.  I doubt they even discuss guaranteed money at this point.  

21 hours ago, supremebve said:

Umm...I'm going to ask this to any of Maurkice Pouncey's teammates who may secretly post here.  Do you want Maurkice Pouncey with your financial future?

I mean, someone's going to buy those Free Aaron Hernandez shirts eventually, right?

• Haha 1

The Detroit Pistons are paying Josh Smith over $5 million this year. He last played for Detroit in December of 2014, and last played in the NBA in 2016. His contract was nothing special in terms of guarantees.

• Haha 1

A bananas rumor has popped up on the Twitter machine...  Apparently the front runners to land Tom Brady are the Patriots and Titans.  

HOWEVER... Something named Tom Curran (Boston NBC sports guy) is reporting that San Francisco is "closing hard" on trying to get TB12.  

We turn to Jimmy Garoppolo:

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, elizium said:

Nothing like paying 30 million for a 43 year old thrust out of his 20 year comfort zone.

Dude, who watched him play last season and thought, "Let's bring that guy in?"  I've been going through this thing where I see people getting put into positions that I would never dream to be in and wondering how I'm still so damn broke.  Someone is going to pay a 43-year-old quarterback way too much money and we're all going to act like we are surprised when it ends poorly.  It's going to happen.  We know it's going to happen.  And someone is going to get paid millions of dollars to make that decision.  Capitalism, ain't it great.

• Like 1

Every day there is a new rumor about THIS IS THE TEAM THAT WILL DEFINITELY SIGN TOM BRADY!!!

Last week it was the Giants because Joe Judge refused to say Daniel Jones was the starter

If he leaves the Pats, it has to be with a team that knows it doesn't stand a chance at winning but the novelty to sell tickets due to Tom Brady being the quarterback is the most alluring thing they can think of currently.

28 minutes ago, Chaos said:

If he leaves the Pats, it has to be with a team that knows it doesn't stand a chance at winning but the novelty to sell tickets due to Tom Brady being the quarterback is the most alluring thing they can think of currently.

So the Skins then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2