DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Gonzo

Mike Mayock  says he's "very happy" with Derek Carr and has said Antonio Brown will not be a Raider again.

Since it's the Raiders, I'm fully expecting Carr to be traded by the end of the week. 

• Haha 4

Carolina (as of now) will stick with Cam Newton as their QB per Rapaport. 

Basically, the shade thrown is that his foot is still about 3-4 months away from being ready, and thus he is untradeable until then. 

Pair this with the above news, and "Cam Vegas" does have a nice ring to it, doesn't it?  

• Sad 1

The new CBA is going to players for a full vote. A simple majority approves it. The expectation is that it will pass.

As most folks are saying - the players aren't necessarily thrilled with it but it is better than the old deal.

Also - apparently all that talk that the 17th game will be neutral site?

Yeah - it appears that was bullshit and basically half the league will have a extra home game. And then the other half will get an extra home game.

And the extra game will be intra-conference based on finish in your division and go on a rotation.

So like the last place team in the NFC East would play last place in AFC East and then the next year AFC North... etc... (like how the other games are currently determined)

God the NFLPA is the absolute worst union in American sports.  

They'd let the team owners take their firstborn children if it meant they were allowed to take 4 Anacin before a game and not violate the drug policy.  

• Like 2

It is pretty much all the superstars are against the deal where the guys who make no money are for it because they can't afford to miss a year or more. (Or won't be in the league in a year)

There is frustration within the NFLPA (at least the higher rankings) are popping off with opinions when they aren't in the meetings or no know details of the detail and say - like Wilson above - that they are "rushing" into it despite the NFLPA working on it for several years.

Of course - the bigger issue remains the shitty deal the NFLPA accepted 10 years ago which set up this, possibly, shitty deal

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

It is another reason the owners have all the leverage

The amount of players who have gone on Twitter saying essentially, "we should just take whatever they give us," makes me want to scream.  How the fuck do you say that in public in the middle of a negotiation?  How does that help?  How the fuck did you get to the point in life where you look at your employer and think, "I know I'm allowed to negotiate, but I trust you more than me?"  The owners could have gotten away with cutting their pay by half and most of the players would look at them and say, "thanks for your generosity."  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The amount of players who have gone on Twitter saying essentially, "we should just take whatever they give us," makes me want to scream.  How the fuck do you say that in public in the middle of a negotiation?  How does that help?  How the fuck did you get to the point in life where you look at your employer and think, "I know I'm allowed to negotiate, but I trust you more than me?"  The owners could have gotten away with cutting their pay by half and most of the players would look at them and say, "thanks for your generosity."  

Because the amount of players saying that are people that can't afford a lockout because their career window is 3 years.

• Sad 1

Just now, Raziel said:

Because the amount of players saying that are people that can't afford a lockout because their career window is 3 years.

That is not a valid reason to do this publicly.  You can believe all that shit in your mind, in your house, in your car, in union meetings, and anywhere else the people you are negotiating with can't hear you say it.  Once you say it in a place everyone can hear it, you are basically giving away all negotiating power.  They should think you're playing hardball at all fucking times, even if you're shaking in your fucking boots.  The way you negotiate shouldn't change if your career window is 3 decades, 3 years, or 3 minutes.  

• Like 2

Just now, supremebve said:

That is not a valid reason to do this publicly.  You can believe all that shit in your mind, in your house, in your car, in union meetings, and anywhere else the people you are negotiating with can't hear you say it.  Once you say it in a place everyone can hear it, you are basically giving away all negotiating power.  They should think you're playing hardball at all fucking times, even if you're shaking in your fucking boots.  The way you negotiate shouldn't change if your career window is 3 decades, 3 years, or 3 minutes.  

We're in the age where the court of public opinion is paramount.  Publicly state you're against a lockout and it's those rich guys that can afford to not play a year or two are taking football away from guys that need it and the fans.  Keeps the league from a lockout.  

Not saying it's right, or intelligent, or anything.  Just what it likely is.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Raziel said:

We're in the age where the court of public opinion is paramount.  Publicly state you're against a lockout and it's those rich guys that can afford to not play a year or two are taking football away from guys that need it and the fans.  Keeps the league from a lockout.  

Not saying it's right, or intelligent, or anything.  Just what it likely is.

These dudes are going to end up with nothing at all because the 3rd string long snappers are going to throw away all of their leverage on Twitter.  I really want to know how the sport with the most dudes you wouldn't want to fight, act like such bitches when it comes to fight for themselves.  

In terms of talking publicly - if you don't think it should be done, it doesn't help when the President of the NFLPA is basically encouraging it

He also said that he’s fine with hearing players come out against the deal because “democracy is messy.”

“Why would I ever be in a world where I would look at them voicing that in a negative way? I get that Aaron is passionate and he expressed his opinion, other players have come out and are passionately expressing their opinion, it’s fine,” (DeMaurice) Smith said, via Lindsay Jones of TheAthletic.com. “I would much prefer that than for anybody to think they didn’t have a voice.”

Smith said, via multiple reporters, that he knows some players will never be in favor of a 17-game schedule and that they should “vote their conscience” once the language of the deal is done and presented to players for a vote.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, supremebve said:

These dudes are going to end up with nothing at all because the 3rd string long snappers are going to throw away all of their leverage on Twitter.  I really want to know how the sport with the most dudes you wouldn't want to fight, act like such bitches when it comes to fight for themselves.  

If you hadn't noticed, the people that act like they're the biggest, baddest, toughest alphas in the world act like frightened puppies that whine Unfair and clutch their pearls onto their fainting couches the second someone says a mean word in their direction.

So it's not surprising when the macho tough guys fold like cheap card tables the second pressure is applied.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Raziel said:

If you hadn't noticed, the people that act like they're the biggest, baddest, toughest alphas in the world act like frightened puppies that whine Unfair and clutch their pearls onto their fainting couches the second someone says a mean word in their direction.

So it's not surprising when the macho tough guys fold like cheap card tables the second pressure is applied.

Yeah, but this is the opposite.  These are legitimately big, bad, tough people, who are publicly folding like card tables.

Man, the players are so terrible at this negotiating thing.  They're going to get a big raise in minimum base salaries - congrats.  You've just guaranteed more guys get cut sooner than ever.  You added a 6% workload increase to yourselves while getting something a 1% increase in revenue.  Well done on that, math geniuses.  You've traded an extra week of games for everyone, and two weeks for #2 seeds, in exchange for giving up a preseason game where half the roster doesn't play anyway.  Brilliant trade.

They're so thrilled to get 48.5% of the revenue when they should be asking for 65%.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1