DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Gonzo

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hi, I'd like to introduce you to pretty much everyone of the 20 million people who live in Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, The Bronx, and New Jersey. 

I 100% understand that.  Every city in the country has more blue collar workers than white collar workers keeping the streets clean, serving food, and fixing shit that's broke...but only one of them has Wall Street and the World Trade Center.  And the white collar/blue collar thing is loaded language based on our political nonsense that tends to have correlations that have nothing to do with blue collar/white collar work.  Not only that, there is nothing blue collar about being a football coach.  I guess he might have to stand outside in the cold ever now and then, but when was the last time a football coach had a callus?  For the record, I once shook someone's hand and they looked at me and asked, "You have really soft hands, have you ever worked a day in your life?"  I'm just not going around telling people that I have a blue collar attitude, I have an A/C and mental health day attitude.  

On 1/7/2020 at 12:32 PM, RIPPA said:

I am already enjoying the stories about the other owners are pissed at Panthers owner David Tepper for fucking up the salary structure for HCs

Specifically... it was Mara:

Also, on why they hired Judge:

Poor Saquan is going to get run into the ground. 

• Haha 2

That Gettleman quote was the icing on the cake along with Judge being all WE ARE GOING TO PRACTICE IN FULL PADS AND HAVE FULL HITTING EVERYDAY!!!! that had me just thinking "Well the next three years are going to be a disaster"

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Specifically... it was Mara:

Also, on why they hired Judge:

Poor Saquan is going to get run into the ground. 

I don't think they're wrong for not signing that contract.  If he turns out to be a clown, you have to either pay him to run your team into the ground or pay him to go the fuck away...and hiring a coach is a roll of the dice at best.  They don't know if any of these people are good coaches.

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

That Gettleman quote was the icing on the cake along with Judge being all WE ARE GOING TO PRACTICE IN FULL PADS AND HAVE FULL HITTING EVERYDAY!!!! that had me just thinking "Well the next three years are going to be a disaster"

As a Browns fan I'd like to inform you that Freddie Kitchens' introductory press conference was pretty much the exact same press conference.  There is an interesting post on Reddit from a former offensive lineman about the coaches who come in and preach toughness.  For the most part, these guys are professionals who want to be great.  The coach is there to put those guys in a position to be great, running them into the ground doesn't help.

Spoiler

Edited by RIPPA
Added spoiler box due to size
  • Like 4

Its as if no other teams paid attention to the warning the union gave to avoid signing with the Jags. I know that was more about the bullshit fines than the hard ass approach, but if I'm a top free agent, I'm not going to a place with a hard ass, unless I have not other choice or they money whip me with a obscene contract. Even then I might take a smaller salary not to work for a maniac.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Cleveland is going with Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski as their new head coach per Rapaport. 

Well, after that stirring, inspiring *checks notes* 10 points off 147 yards performance, who can blame them.

• Haha 2

On 1/7/2020 at 8:30 AM, FluffSnackwell said:

History is against Mike McCarthy because no head coach has ever led two different teams to Super Bowl wins. I don't see McCarthy being the guy that achieves that milestone.

Which is horseshit. Mike Holmgren should be the only name on that list if only the NFL hadn't decided the Jerome Bettis retirement tour needed a happy ending and told the refs to make sure it happened. Nobody will ever convince me different. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Which is horseshit. Mike Holmgren should be the only name on that list if only the NFL hadn't decided the Jerome Bettis retirement tour needed a happy ending and told the refs to make sure it happened. Nobody will ever convince me different. 

Ha! Maybe if Seattle didn't let Willie Parker run 75 yards for a TD without being touched or didn't blatantly hold on that pass that got them to the goal line you might have some sort of argument. 

Also why would the NFL give a F if Jerome Bettis won a Super Bowl in his home town? It's not like anyone was going to not watch the game then tune in after it was over to see him get a trophy. The Bettis and his hometown stuff were really the only story in the build up since that's all there really was to report on, both teams were kind of boring. Maybe Seattle's billionaire should have bribed the Steelers QB to throw some picks like Jerry Jones did in SBXXX.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, happjack said:

Ha! Maybe if Seattle didn't let Willie Parker run 75 yards for a TD without being touched or didn't blatantly hold on that pass that got them to the goal line you might have some sort of argument. 

Also why would the NFL give a F if Jerome Bettis won a Super Bowl in his home town? It's not like anyone was going to not watch the game then tune in after it was over to see him get a trophy. The Bettis and his hometown stuff were really the only story in the build up since that's all there really was to report on, both teams were kind of boring. Maybe Seattle's billionaire should have bribed the Steelers QB to throw some picks like Jerry Jones did in SBXXX.

Yeah, with 53 players on each team and multiple coaches, every Super Bowl is played in somebody's hometown.  I don't think they'd fix the Super Bowl for anyone, especially someone who is already as beloved as Jerome Bettis.  There isn't a single person who watched Jerome Bettis play who would have said, "Yeah, The Bus was fun to watch, too bad he wasn't a champion."

8 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

One of the most hilarious conspiracy theory hot takes, ever ?

For fucks sake

biggest playoff collapse in recent memory and let’s let this asshole keep his unlimited power.

i figure hiring a competent GM was the least we could do. I’m guessing no new real offensive coordinator either. And no one to help RAC either.

this franchise.

I have no dog in the Steelers/Seahawks Super Bowl officiating controversy. However tying Jerome Bettis into Hall Of Fame talk from a few pages back, Edgerrin James wouldn't water down the Hall Of Fame anymore than Bettis getting in did, since both basically had the same careers.

• Two rushing titles and four seasons of over 1,500 yards for James compared to no rushing titles for Bettis (even though he had at least one monster season that would've lead the league most other years) and only one season of over 1,500 yards.
  • James was also a legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield; especially early in his career.  3,364 yards and 11 TD's for James compared to 1,449 yards and 3 TD's for Bettis.
  • Bettis had 1,400 more career rushing yards but played in 44 more games. Bettis had 61 career 100-yard games compared to 57 for James.
  • 94 career TD's for Bettis compared to 91 for James. 

You could make just as strong a case for either guy being a compiler as a borderline Hall of Famer. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, happjack said:

No conspiracy, just game-changing officiating incompetence - which the referee of that game himself has admitted.

In news relevant to this offseason - the Bears have hired Bill Lazor to be OC.

Matt Nagy will still be calling plays so Lazor appears to be hired just to work with Mitch Trubisky

15 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I have no dog in the Steelers/Seahawks Super Bowl officiating controversy. However tying Jerome Bettis into Hall Of Fame talk from a few pages back, Edgerrin James wouldn't water down the Hall Of Fame anymore than Bettis getting in did, since both basically had the same careers.

• Two rushing titles and four seasons of over 1,500 yards for James compared to no rushing titles for Bettis (even though he had at least one monster season that would've lead the league most other years) and only one season of over 1,500 yards.
  • James was also a legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield; especially early in his career.  3,364 yards and 11 TD's for James compared to 1,449 yards and 3 TD's for Bettis.
  • Bettis had 1,400 more career rushing yards but played in 44 more games. Bettis had 61 career 100-yard games compared to 57 for James.
  • 94 career TD's for Bettis compared to 91 for James. 

You could make just as strong a case for either guy being a compiler as a borderline Hall of Famer. 

Edgerrin James was great and I have no problem whatsoever being in the Hall of Fame.  If he wouldn't have torn his ACL in his third year, I don't think we'd be having this conversation.  They probably ran him a little too much his first two seasons, but he was fucking phenomenal.  If he doesn't get injured in that 3rd year there is no reason to believe that he couldn't have had at least another 2000-4000 yards from scrimmage over his next two seasons.  He was a special player.

• Like 2

And in the first "nobody saw this coming" of the offseason, Luke Kuechly has announced his retirement from the NFL.

28 years old. Guess he's getting out before he thinks it's too late.

Edited by Gonzo
  • Sad 1