DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Gonzo

Of course - what is really weird is if you are working on contract details with a guy why ask for permission to interview Garrett today?

I mean I guess in case Judge gets cold feet but that still seems weird

Just now, supremebve said:

So, after watching this years Patriots, why one earth would you hire their wide receivers coach?

Apparently he was the Special Teams coach and they added WR duties onto that at some point during the season

Not sure that makes it better or worse

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently he was the Special Teams coach and they added WR duties onto that at some point during the season

Not sure that makes it better or worse

I honestly don't understand how any of these teams are ever successful, because their hiring practices seem to be just plain dumb.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

History is against Mike McCarthy because no head coach has ever led two different teams to Super Bowl wins. I don't see McCarthy being the guy that achieves that milestone.

Mike McCarthy reminds me of Bill O'Brien.  Every time something amazing happens with his team it is because Deshaun Watson did something amazing, or Deandre Hopkins did something amazing, or J.J. Watt did something amazing...it's never because Bill O'Brien did something amazing.  You just can't fire him when the team keeps winning because those dudes are amazing.

47 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Giants have officially requested permission to interview Garrett (since the Cowboys aren't firing him - NY needs permission or has to wait till after the 14th)

So it is pretty much at the point that they will hire either Garrett or McDaniels and got mocked for it

giphy.gif

The Giants still want to bring in Garrett to interview for the OC.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Good Lord...

LOL what could go wrong?!

Of course I laugh now, but when Nagy gets inevitably canned in Chicago after next season I'll be the one hoping they don't hire McDaniels. At least there's some security there with Indy's HC. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently Judge had an offer from Mississippi State (his alma mater) to be HC so that is why the Giants were moving quickly too

Oh, right, a buddy of mine is a Mississippi State fan and was saying they were very interested in him. I knew I'd heard that name tied to a job this weekend. I had a very long coaching carousel discussion about football at a brewery this weekend.

About McCarty; I don't think he's a great coach either, but there is the fair point that Green Bay basically refused to dip into free agency in any serious manner his entire tenure there, to the point where near the end of his run, he was basically begging them to sign guys in the media. They were painfully stubborn about sticking just to homegrown guys even as they kept falling short.

He won't have that problem in Dallas, so it's a chance to prove himself, at least.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Of course - what is really weird is if you are working on contract details with a guy why ask for permission to interview Garrett today?

They want Garrett as their OC.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well Joe Judge's introductory press conference wasn't as bad as when the Jets introduced Adam Gase but it was damn close

I didn't see it buI hear he paraphrased/plagiarized Greg Kinnear from 'Invincible'!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Quick poll, is there any city in the entire country that you associate "blue collar" with less than New York City?  Seriously, New York city might be the most white-collar city on the fucking planet.

Hi, I'd like to introduce you to pretty much everyone of the 20 million people who live in Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, The Bronx, and New Jersey. 

• Thanks 1