DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Gonzo

Ah yes, the mighty 1940's AAFC and 1950's NFL titles. Exactly the same as now. ? Being a Packers fan, I know the silliness of claiming anything before the Super Bowl era as meaningful beyond a certain point. The 1930's NFL was the peak of sports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Cleveland Browns 8 total championships

Cincinnati Bengals 0 total championships

The Browns have glory days, The Bengals don't.

You're right, I apologize. In fact the Browns have 10 championships if you include the two Super Bowls they've won since moving to Baltimore.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sabremike said:

You're right, I apologize. In fact the Browns have 10 championships if you include the two Super Bowls they've won since moving to Baltimore.

You just made a powerful enemy.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Ah yes, the mighty 1940's AAFC and 1950's NFL titles. Exactly the same as now. ? Being a Packers fan, I know the silliness of claiming anything before the Super Bowl era as meaningful beyond a certain point. The 1930's NFL was the peak of sports.

You know what, you're right.  The Browns haven't won a championship in a very long time.  The Bengals haven't won a championship...ever...not a single solitary one...in history...of the universe.  This entire conversation started because people were laughing about the idea of hiring their most successful coach, because he couldn't win anything.  The Marvin Lewis era is by far their best sustained run.  Their entire existence is based on not being the Browns...think about that...they were founded by a former Browns coach, wore the Browns colors, and the entire state other than the cities around Cincinnati still roots for the Browns.  Sure, the Browns legacy is older than my mom, the Bengals legacy is completely and totally non-existent.  

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

You know what, you're right.  The Browns haven't won a championship in a very long time.  The Bengals haven't won a championship...ever...not a single solitary one...in history...of the universe.  This entire conversation started because people were laughing about the idea of hiring their most successful coach, because he couldn't win anything.  The Marvin Lewis era is by far their best sustained run.  Their entire existence is based on not being the Browns...think about that...they were founded by a former Browns coach, wore the Browns colors, and the entire state other than the cities around Cincinnati still roots for the Browns.  Sure, the Browns legacy is older than my mom, the Bengals legacy is completely and totally non-existent.  

OK we've both had our fun going back and forth but can we both agree on this: right now the best pro football team in the state of Ohio is Ohio State (and that the second best football team in the state is probably the Miami Redhawks)?

Edited by sabremike
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Let's just agree that everyone sucks. ATM, even the current Packers.

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

OK we've both had our fun going back and forth but can we both agree on this: right now the best pro football team in the state of Ohio right now is Ohio State (and that the second best football team in the state is probably the Miami Redhawks)?

What's Ohio State? GO REDHAWKS! (I will never accept OSU as any good, implicit bias.)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sabremike said:

OK we've both had our fun going back and forth but can we both agree on this: right now the best pro football team in the state of Ohio is Ohio State (and that the second best football team in the state is probably the Miami Redhawks)?

I was having this conversation with my best friend last week.  He asked me if I saw the NCAA Semi-Final and I told him that I don't follow college football very much any more.  Then I stopped and said, "There is no bigger example of me hustling backwards than not following college football, because The Ohio State Buckeyes are by far the most successful sports team that I root for."  Between the Browns, Indians, and Cavs, I have witnessed one championship...and about  39549508490584-958430988 kicks to the  nuts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

I was having this conversation with my best friend last week.  He asked me if I saw the NCAA Semi-Final and I told him that I don't follow college football very much any more.  Then I stopped and said, "There is no bigger example of me hustling backwards than not following college football, because The Ohio State Buckeyes are by far the most successful sports team that I root for."  Between the Browns, Indians, and Cavs, I have witnessed one championship...and about  39549508490584-958430988 kicks to the  nuts.

Between the Bengals, Mets, Sabres, Knicks, MetroStars/Red Bulls and Ticats I have witnessed a grand total of two: 1986 Mets and 1999 Ticats. They all have combined for 10 finals series/game defeats.

Just now, sabremike said:

Between the Bengals, Mets, Sabres, Knicks, MetroStars/Red Bulls and Ticats I have witnessed a grand total of two: 1986 Mets and 1999 Ticats. They all have combined for 10 finals series/game defeats.

My sports fandom is pretty much full of failure and LeBron James.  I don't have time to count how many finals series/games they've competed in, but I'm willing to bet that LeBron James is responsible for 2/3rds of them.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also - reports are saying that the Cowboys are only going to look at former HCs with extensive experience with "proven success"

So basically they want to hire Mike McCarthy with Marvin Lewis as their backup

LOL that was fast. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

LOL that was fast. 

I have a question for the board, how do you judge a coach?

I'm just saying, if you are a coach who was only successful with a hall of fame quarterback you need to do more than Mike McCarthy than me to call you a good coach.  I feel like any coach with a pulse could have had his record with Aaron Rogers over his tenure.  I wouldn't go as far as to say that he's a bad coach, but I've never seen his teams do anything that made me think his scheme is why they won.  I honestly can't tell you what he does better than Jason Garrett. He's a guy who can win if his guys on the field can win their match ups, which works when Aaron Rogers is your quarterback, but might not when Dak Prescott is the quarterback...and I think Dak is pretty good.  

Look at it like this, Andy Reid has been a head coach for 20 years, he's had a couple of down seasons, but for the most part his teams have always been competitive.  He's always seemed to ge the best out of his players, no matter who they were.  After 20 years you still watch his team play and at least a couple of times a game you can see a receiver running butt naked open down the middle of the field.  It's apparent that whatever he is doing is allowing his players to succeed.  It worked with McNabb, Vick, Smith, and Mahomes, odds are it would work with any competent quarterback.  Does anyone think that about Mike McCarthy?  Ron Rivera?  Marvin Lewis repeatedly went to the playoffs with fucking Andy Dalton, and no one thinks he's a good coach, but Mike McCarthy once went 6-10 with Aaron Rogers and people seem to think he's good.  I don't understand how we are evaluating these things.

17 hours ago, supremebve said:

Andy Reid has been a head coach for 20 years, he's had a couple of down seasons, but for the most part his teams have always been competitive.  He's always seemed to ge the best out of his players, no matter who they were.  After 20 years you still watch his team play and at least a couple of times a game you can see a receiver running butt naked open down the middle of the field.  It's apparent that whatever he is doing is allowing his players to succeed.  It worked with McNabb, Vick, Smith, and Mahomes, odds are it would work with any competent quarterback.  Does anyone think that about Mike McCarthy?  Ron Rivera?  Marvin Lewis repeatedly went to the playoffs with fucking Andy Dalton, and no one thinks he's a good coach, but Mike McCarthy once went 6-10 with Aaron Rogers and people seem to think he's good.  I don't understand how we are evaluating these things.

Someone on here had a great quote once about Andy Reid either being the best bad coach ever or the worst good coach ever. Obviously Reid has some great qualities that have made him consistently successful. The problem is he has glaring flaws that in 20 years of coaching he has never really improved upon. Most of his critics will immediately point to his horrible clock management, which is true, but I don't even think that's his worst flaw. His biggest problem has always been his philosophy of "Right or Wrong, My Game Plan". There's no such thing as a half-time adjustment for Andy Reid. He could be down 28-0 at half and still come out doing the same damn thing.

• Like 1

Multiple reports state that the Giants preferred candidate is Baylor's Matt Rhule (he interviews with them today).

Reportedly their fallback plan is Jason Garrett (the original fallback was Mike McCarthy)

Now this second part comes from the New York Post so it is more likely that George Halas is their backup

4 minutes ago, The Comedian said:

Someone on here had a great quote once about Andy Reid either being the best bad coach ever or the worst good coach ever. Obviously Reid has some great qualities that have made him consistently successful. The problem is he has glaring flaws that in 20 years of coaching he has never really improved upon. Most of his critics will immediately point to his horrible clock management, which is true, but I don't even think that's his worst flaw. His biggest problem has always been his philosophy of "Right or Wrong, My Game Plan". There's no such thing as a half-time adjustment for Andy Reid. He could be down 28-0 at half and still come out doing the same damn thing.

I can't really argue with that.  He's essentially the new age Marty Schottenheimer.  If you want a coach to get the most out of every single player, hire one of those guys.  If you want them to adjust on the fly and win the proverbial chess match, hire somebody else.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Multiple reports state that the Giants preferred candidate is Baylor's Matt Rhule (he interviews with them today).

Reportedly their fallback plan is Jason Garrett (the original fallback was Mike McCarthy)

Now this second part comes from the New York Post so it is more likely that George Halas is their backup

Well we are about to see if this is true as reportedly the Panthers didn't let Rhule leave the building yesterday and are hiring him as their HC

The Giants have officially requested permission to interview Garrett (since the Cowboys aren't firing him - NY needs permission or has to wait till after the 14th)

So it is pretty much at the point that they will hire either Garrett or McDaniels and got mocked for it

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

You think it's dramatic now, if my group text with my Giants fans friends are any indication, prepare for a march on East Rutherford if Garrett gets hired.

I am so deep into hating fans of the team I love right now

Meanwhile in Dallas - Mike McCarthy would like Kellen Moore to stay on as OC. However Moore is considering an offer from the University of Washington (via his old coach Chris Peterson) to be the OC there.

Moore is from Washington too